cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choices after coming off the road ...

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering what others have done when the decision has been made to no longer travel in the "full-time" mode in our RVs .. know there are some who continue to live in their RV units, and some even spend 6 months in one place, and 6 months in another place.

But would like to hear some stories of choices.

Anyone willing to share ?

BTW we have been full-timing in our TT since 2004 and for one more 5-month season will be going in October/November time-frame to Central Oregon to volunteer for the state parks thru March ...

Summers are spent with our children and grandchildren.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
30 REPLIES 30

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
That's why we full time, to discover that "place".
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

DeepLiquid
Explorer
Explorer
Really appreciate the reality check I'm getting from this thread. In my mind I want to be on the road forever, my SO wants the question "where will we end up when we come off the road" answered before being willing to give up the condo. I guess it really is magical thinking to believe life on the road wouldn't get tiring at some point.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
After 9 years fulltiming, looking for the perfect spot, we settled in the mountains of Idaho. We love it here. Good medical, dental, great people....big city is a mere 100 miles down the hill
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Haven't even started F/Timing yet but I'm a long-term planner. The idea annoys the man until it ALL comes together:W. Fortunately, or not, the man's predecessor, was a "think for the moment" person and I can no longer be bothered w/ that philosophy.

Some time back decided that the sale of our primary residence would do a nice job of funding our older age. So purchased another apt in an up and coming area of Manhattan. Been using it as a rental property interim.

We are now at the point where we both need a change of pace so it's time to purchase the RV.

We plan to F/T RV for up to 2 years and then return to the new to us apartment. Will allow the man to enjoy his retirement and me to decide what business I want to start next(I'm not the early retirement type). I also purchased property in Panama and we plan to live there half a year and half a year in NYC after we get off the road.

Hopefully, I've thunk up all possibilities that life can bring.
Oh err but I know I DIDN'T think it would take 2 freaking years for the TT to be built:S. Still trying to come up with a bright side for that scenario to pass on to the man..

That's really wonderful.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Our plans for the longest time are: right now to get all our RE assets sold - youngest kid next year finally getting married and purchasing acreage hubby built off us. Help them financially if needed to build a "granny annex" either over the current 1080 square foot garage or the proposed in future new outbuilding. Head off in the interim FT RVing until we've had enough either through wanting a change of travel, seen all we want to, health issues or otherwise, then move into the "granny annex" as our home base. After our days are done, they can then use it as an income helper or maybe one of our "hopefully" future grandchildren might benefit from it.

We are an exceptionally close knit family, that pull, work and build together, but also conscious that we, probably moreso than they want our own front door so to speak.

Well,that's the plan but life sometimes throws us all curve balls.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Ohhhhh, you said central Oregon. That is different than the valley where Ft Yamhill is located.

Just consider that we are residents of Washington State ... so Central Oregon is Roseburg ?

Just saw on the web where one poster says it is Bend/Redmond/Sunriver ... interesting.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't even started F/Timing yet but I'm a long-term planner. The idea annoys the man until it ALL comes together:W. Fortunately, or not, the man's predecessor, was a "think for the moment" person and I can no longer be bothered w/ that philosophy.

Some time back decided that the sale of our primary residence would do a nice job of funding our older age. So purchased another apt in an up and coming area of Manhattan. Been using it as a rental property interim.

We are now at the point where we both need a change of pace so it's time to purchase the RV.

We plan to F/T RV for up to 2 years and then return to the new to us apartment. Will allow the man to enjoy his retirement and me to decide what business I want to start next(I'm not the early retirement type). I also purchased property in Panama and we plan to live there half a year and half a year in NYC after we get off the road.

Hopefully, I've thunk up all possibilities that life can bring.
Oh err but I know I DIDN'T think it would take 2 freaking years for the TT to be built:S. Still trying to come up with a bright side for that scenario to pass on to the man..

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
For us. Still trying to decide. Eleven years full-timing and counting. Bought a park model at a park in Arizona where we workamp. We rent it out now. But plan to live there when we quit RVing. Sell the truck and trailer, get a place up north in the Pacific NW. Or sell the truck and leave the trailer up there in a park, or on some land we buy. Also thinking of living in the park model and travel by car and rent places. But still haven't decided on what we really want to do.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us, the issue became mostly medical. I seem to develop a type of very rare, non-cancerous tumor, that is highly invasive locally so it must be removed. (The first required that I be off work for 3 months. The last recovery period was about the same. During that period, because of the reconstruction of my abdominal muscles, no way could I have even done the minimal amount of physical stuff required to hook/unhook our dinghy.) That means that I need to be near my doctors at Loma Linda University Medical at least once a year. After having to rent an apartment for the last surgical recovery, we got to thinking, with real estate values starting to move up, maybe we should find a small place reasonably near the medical facilities where we could spend 3 months on the road, 3 off. Found a great own your own lot, adults only, mobile home park in Murrieta, Ca. Bought an old unit, had it pulled out, replaced it with a brand new unit including on-site RV storage & FHU's. All for about what the depreciation will be if we buy a 2016 Dutch Star, gently used, in about 5 years, as opposed to buying one now as we had planned.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
When we started full timing we said we do it until we got too sick, too old, or too bored. After 11 years of full timing a combination of all three things caught up with us so we bought a house in western CO and had all of our stuff moved here from a storage unit in NH. We tried snow birding for a year and then moved into the house for good. The motor home was sold last summer.
When we stored stuff we had sold all of the big appliances and most of the soft furniture but still had a lot of stuff.

I am sure glad we did not follow the convectional advice and get rid of all of it.
We have spent about $15,000 buying what we need for the house - stuff that we sold for maybe 10 percent of what it cost back then.

If we had to replace what we had stored - like guns, complete woodworking shop, my wifes equipment for building miniatures, her genealogy research records and small appliances, desks and office equipment, and my electronic gear, it would have cost a lot more than what we spent for storage.
Some things like heirlooms that came from as far back as our great grand parents could not be replaced at any cost.

As an aside, while full timing we so loved the freedom from yard work that we have zeriscaped our grounds to eliminate yard work as much as possible. It has certainly minimized it to a point where it can be handled even if we become limited by health issues.
That is common in western CO so it isn't out of place. The house has vinyl siding so it is a very low maintenance item.
We have also put in two RV sites with hookups for RV friends that visi
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a park model in an RV park located in Mesa, AZ. We found that we really enjoyed Mesa in the winter, so now we 'spread out' alittle for the winter, put the motorhome in storage, and come spring, stock her up and go travel for the summer. And, this is also handy when a major problem with the motorhome rears its head, like it has this spring, we aren't confined to the overnight spaces at a repair facility, but get to stay in our place while the work (and horrendous wait for parts) is done.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ohhhhh, you said central Oregon. That is different than the valley where Ft Yamhill is located.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two more years on the road then it is time to "plant ourselves" for a while ...

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
October in Pt. Orford and off to Fort Yamhill in Nov thru March ..

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE bought a S&B in area of Central AZ that we always enjoyed during our travels.

Property has FHU RV site so RV is stocked/plugged in and ready to use as Man Cave, Family/Friends quarters or hitch and go!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31