cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estate Sale Costs

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Not fulltiming yet, but currently helping my mom downsize from 3 bdrm house that she has been in over 50 years to a small 1 bedroom apt. Many folks on here have suggested estate sales to ease the downsizing. I know of only one person in my mom's hometown who handles complete estate sales. He has told us, we will rent dumpster, he will clean out, sort, price and sale everything.. for 30% of proceeds.. does this sound like a reasonable rate?

I am planning to use this as a preview of my own downsizing to full=time in about 3 years. I will know what I am doing hopefully at that time.

Also any suggestions on helping mom, go through the things she needs to, without getting too wrapped around the history of every item in the house? Or will having history of things make sales easier? How much "help" do the estate sale folks really need?
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
13 REPLIES 13

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the poster who said elderly people stash cash in odd places and then forget it. When we went through my mother's 'stuff' we found $50 bills in clothes pockets, drawers, zip lock bags in freezer, old purses, jars and cups in the cupboard. You should go through everything before the auction. Document everything you find so there are no accusations.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to everyone who commented... our plan is currently as follows..

Move Mom (in 3 weeks, yikes!!) Have mover lined up and scheduled.

One week later, the last of the things family will take will be picked up (My children have to come from out of state around school and work schedules).

during that week and weekend, we will work to get additional things to MOM as she determines she needs them.

Release house to estate sale guy.. He said it would take approx 3 weeks for his crew to clear house, attic, sheds etc and prep for estate sale.

List house with realtor approx 1 week before sale.. to take advantage of estate sale advertising.

Hopefully by Memorial Day, I will be in RV somewhere hiding from the world and chaos of this adventure.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
With moms buy-in, an auction is the way to go. We auctioned off everything we owned including the house (except the RV and Tow Vehicle). The Auctioneer got 20% for items selling for less that $1000,00 AND 10% for items over $1000.00. The Real Property was handled separately. We paid 5% commission on the sale of the house. There was a fee for advertising and labor to set up the sale. They showed up in the morning, and we drove away that afternoon. Everything was sold. No dumpsters, no problems. We had our money within just a few days. GOOD LUCK!
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Another view....my mother agreed to have an estate sale, etc. She was not present at that time, already moved to the new abode. However, after the fact she resented the whole affair. Our relationship was forever damaged. Be sure this is what she wants, not what you or your siblings want her to want. FYI......I was a thousand miles away when all this went down, had no part in it, yet I was the "leader" in her eyes.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Cloud_9
Explorer
Explorer
I would say 20 to 25 percent for a fee is about right. Hire an auctioneer, do some research. A good one will make the process much less stressful.

Carl

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
If possible, move Mom and she should take what she wants or needs for the new place.
Then deal with the rest. Try to avoid having her go thru everything. It could be hard(harder) for her to do that and let go.

Good recommendation. Having her go through everything could be overwhelming.

Move her in with the big items, clothes, kitchen items, photos, etc. Then explain that as you go through the rest, you'll keep things set aside that might be of interest to her in saving and that she could make a decision on.

Once you begin it'll go smoothly. Take a room at a time. Don't think of the whole picture. Be aware that older folks sometimes 'stash' money in odd places. 🙂 Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I had my parents estate sale myself. No siblings. DH helped a lot and a dear cousin showed up several times. Would I do it again? Yes.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Have an auction, not an estate/tag sale.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
hire the very best auctioneer in your area ,in a estate sale you,ll be left with all the stuff nobody wants , here in ohio our local auctioneer does it all including clean up. and you don,t touch a thing,

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure you have taken all the items mom and the family are interested in before signing the contract. My brother wound up having to buy back a very cherished family bench from the auction because he neglected to exclude it from the sale.
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the pricing percentage will depend on what Mom has to sell. If it's a lot of stuff that isn't worth a lot and a lot of hours are spent cleaning or digging through things, then yes, I can see the 30%. How much is he likely to get vs. how much time is it going to take him? How much of Mom's stuff would you buy if this was someone else's sale and would you pay very much for it?

If there's a lot of valuable things that will bring a decent amount of money, then 30% is too much.

I don't think anyone would go through a complete household for 10%. Would you clean out your Mom's house and run a garage sale for 10% of what her "stuff" sells for?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, move Mom and she should take what she wants or needs for the new place.
Then deal with the rest. Try to avoid having her go thru everything. It could be hard(harder) for her to do that and let go.
Don't know about estate sale.
Good luck!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
No, 10% or less is standard. Shop neighboring towns or farther, they travel. No town has enough estate sales to keep them busy.