cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Timing Next Summer ~ Thoughts On Thor Motorhomes?

tylerdurdeno9
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

My girlfriend and I will be full timing next summer in Alaska and I have found a 2011 25c Thor for $30k with 47k miles. The rig was a rental from one of the local rental companies and seems to be very clean inside. However, it appears as though the rental company has been dealing with some leaks in the front near the overhead bed area. I have done some research on both this site and google and have seen some very negative comments regarding Thor. I was hoping to get some info from those who are full timing with a thor and get your opinions. Also, if you do have any suggestions on other brands please let me know!

Thanks!

Chris
Check out my RV Vlog!
https://www.youtube.com/user/tylerdurdeno9
8 REPLIES 8

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhillmanor, I love your post! We love our Four Winds mh, too, but are much gentler than you LOL I've noticed Thor products aren't considered well made or highly rated, but we're still happy with our rig. The floor plan works great for us, the cabinetry is nicely done, plenty of storage, etc.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of Thor. Not because I have one but because of what I observed when first buying one.

I used my first used Four Winds in the beginning for sporting events across the US. Drove hard and long miles and put away wet each and every weekend all year long.

The events I show in 'reliability' of your RV is paramount. Nonrefundable pre-paid Entry fees paid and a broken down RV on the side of the road is not the situation we want to find ourselves in. Many entrants will drive straight thru 10 14 hours to get to an event only stopping for gas on the way.

When you pull into the parking area 98% of the MH's are Four Winds V-10's. Most having well over 100,000 miles and when they go to sell it another participant upgrading from a TT will buy it and drive it another 100,000! :B

That's my testament to Thor. If it can withstand our abuse it's first in my book for something as easy as leisurely RV'ing in it. Not to mention the inerior quality. Even on the entry level they use REAL wood for drawers and cabinetry.

When I went Full Time I bought another Four Winds 450 V-10. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
cruiseamerica also sells rentals. I would have no problem buying a rental. However, I would think, since they are selling it with such low miles, that it is a problem vehicle they are trying to get rid of. I would keep looking.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tylerdurdeno9
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome info guys, thank you very much for your time. I hope to be posting here soon when I am full timing!
Check out my RV Vlog!

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
tylerdurdeno9 wrote:
Thanks for the response! I have been looking around a bit here in Alaska and it is a great time to buy a RV being there are a lot of winter specials. Why do some people look down on rentals? Because people do not treat them well or because they are going all of the time?

Chris

Lot of people here have an opinion that rentals are misused - by people not knowing what they are doing. What I find is that on the whole the maintenance done and recorded was more frequent than some you find on craigslist or RVTrader. What's great about the Ford E450 is it a heavy duty chassis. It's made to take lots of miles. Most of the El Monte have higher miles than what I had on RoadAbode, but they were upkept and service was done on schedule.

I'm no expert on Alaska though - I have heard the roads can be pretty harsh up north.
Here's The Rental Purchase Thread that has good info.
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
A leaking motorhome is not a good thing. I would stay away from anything that has known leaks or a coach like these Thor's that have a long history of front cab leaks. Too many out there to have to settle with a leaking coach right off the bat!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

tylerdurdeno9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response! I have been looking around a bit here in Alaska and it is a great time to buy a RV being there are a lot of winter specials. Why do some people look down on rentals? Because people do not treat them well or because they are going all of the time?

Chris
Check out my RV Vlog!

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of the few that are for buying rentals. RoadAbode was one and we've had her for 10 years now (check our blog, started in 2004)
But any Class C with water damage already in the front cab-over - or any delamination - I'd stay away from personally. There's just too many RVs out there to start off with a bad one. Not saying it can't be fixed - I've seen some awesome stories of handy guys doing it - But unless you have the inside space to work, the time and some sort of handyman know how, then it's not something you want to take on. If you can see damage, then what can't be seen is probably worse. Your mileage may vary of course.

On Thor - I saw newer Thors (and sister RV Chateau) at the RV Show in Hershey and was surprised the build quality and layout was better than I previously seen in that company.

On previous rentals - RoadAbode was a rental from a smaller local dealer, but search the forums for "El Monte Sales" there are some that are happy with the value they got. Just be sure to check out any RV you look at really well, both the Coach and the Chassis, or have a mechanic check it out. That's what I did.
Good luck on your quest. RVing is a Awesome way to see this country.
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog