cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FullTimer goin' 5th Wheel Shoppin'

7_3diesel
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, so I've decided that I'm going to live full time in a fifth wheel! I'm excited!!!

What advice would you give to the novice RV shopper when buying a used fifth wheel to live in full time?

What features should I be looking for?

Looking to spend about $30k max.

So far, according to my research, I like these brands: EverGreen: green + build quality; Carriage, (Carri-lite/Cameo): build quality, Cedar Creek: economical build quality, NuWa (Hitchhiker): build quality & great forum community support, Teton: quality & great in cold weather, Peterson (Excel): build quality, New Horizons: pricey, best quality. Does agree / disagree with this list? Why?

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our first fiver we stuck to Craig's List. We expanded our search out 500 miles. After about 2 months we found a private seller. For $23,000 we got a really nice gently used 38' Montana with 4 slides that was only 5 years old. It had tons of upgrades already done. Just take your time and be patient would be my only advise.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

KenMont
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to give Evergreen RVs a second thought. They have numerous quality control issues. I'd check out the Evergreen Forum on the IRV2 forums. You probably could get into an Evergreen in your price range but might have some grief very soon after your purchase.

Ken

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might add Alpenlite to your list of better than average builders.

Best years were 2000 to 2005. The company went bust in 2008. The 2006 to the end were still better than average but IMO not as good as the previous series.

We don't fulltime but do make long trips of multi months & many miles with many stops. Well over 80,000 miles on our late 2007 including 2 Alaskan trips, & ours is holding up very well.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not be in a rush. It only took us about 18 months to decide what we wanted and what we needed. We have been fulltiming in that fiver for eleven years now. There are many fivers on the market. And only YOU can decide what you need.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
greginsp wrote:
I wouldn't argue with your brand selections, but I would advise you to consider getting a professional inspection of any unit you are seriously considering. Several of your choices are going to be several years old with your budget and the past maintenance is a big unknown.

Any water intrusion will severely damage any unit regardless of the brand. Sometimes these repairs are cleverly hidden/covered up.

Just like a S&B house start at the top (roof), look for evidence of regular maintenance (condition of caulking) and condition of roof.

Look at all systems especially the slide mechanisms, landing gear, plumbing (look closely under sinks, tubs and showers)for evidence of leaks.

Look at all of the flooring around the entire perimeter of the unit for soft spots/rot/mold. Pay close attention under all windows, and in front of the exterior door.

This may sound a bit paranoid, but RV's just don't fare well if they aren't maintained properly.

There are some well maintained units out there and when you come up on one it will stand out.

Good luck in your search and enjoy the new life!

. . .
I really agree w above. Water intrusion is insidious, hard to locate, and really really expensive to fix.
Check roof for cracks and past leakage.
Check the suspension for correct installation. Check tires, and manufacturing date. You may want to put new tires on it anyway. Have you wheel bearings repacked, and maybe bearings replaced.
I am paranoid about tires blowing out.
Make sure that you have good rv insurance on the trailer. We have a history of messing our's up, to the tune of $15,000 total. So far the insurance has been great.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are going to be hard pressed to find a DRV in the $30K price range. Plus, I do not believe that DRV makes a trailer that your truck is capable of towing within published ratings.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltimed in a Teton for our last 4 years....by far the best of the three fivers we owned. Can't beat the quality. They are an orphan now, tho.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

7_3diesel
Explorer
Explorer
hitchup wrote:
7.3diesel wrote:

So far, according to my research, I like these brands: EverGreen: green + build quality; Carriage, (Carri-lite/Cameo): build quality, Cedar Creek: economical build quality, NuWa (Hitchhiker): build quality & great forum community support, Teton: quality & great in cold weather, Peterson (Excel): build quality, New Horizons: pricey, best quality. Does agree / disagree with this list? Why?

Thanks in advance!

You're missing DoubleTree - DRV Suites. Build quality, 4-season strong, great forum support. Much better than a couple on your list.

With a little patience, you can find one in that price range.

One Suite owner had a fire in his Dometic fridge that totaled his older Suite. He found a 36' 2006 Mobile Suite repo for $17,000 down in AZ.

You're the second person to mention DRV. I'll keep my eye out for those from now on.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
7.3diesel wrote:

Thanks in advance!

You're missing DoubleTree - DRV Suites. Build quality, 4-season strong, great forum support. Much better than a couple on your list.

With a little patience, you can find one in that price range.

One Suite owner had a fire in his Dometic fridge that totaled his older Suite. He found a 36' 2006 Mobile Suite repo for $17,000 down in AZ.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a mobile rv service that's been in business for awhile. You can call and ask them if they are certified. Since you mentioned that you live modestly you don't want to buy a unit, then find floor rot. It's well worth the cost and will save you headaches in the long run. What you will need as a fulltimer does not differ from what you need on a daily basis in a house or apt. Dishes, glasses, pots & pans, towels, cleaning supplies, sheets, towels, soap, shampoo. You don't have to have a washer. There are usually laundry facilities at every rv park and/or every town.
As to a used unit look for something with good insulation, dual pane windows. They help with cold & hot weather. A used Drv would be good, but they are heavy.

7_3diesel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, awesome shopping advice! This really helps me out.
greginsp wrote:
I wouldn't argue with your brand selections, but I would advise you to consider getting a professional inspection of any unit you are seriously considering.

How do I go about finding a professional inspector?

I can live modestly. And although I know everyone's definition of "modest" is different, I'd just like to get an idea of what kind of features full-timers specifically should be looking out for as opposed to shoppers who just need a weekend camping 5th wheel. For example, I know I'll need a washing machine while a weekender, in most cases, will not; I'm just sure I'm not thinking of some other stuff I'll need...

greginsp
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't argue with your brand selections, but I would advise you to consider getting a professional inspection of any unit you are seriously considering. Several of your choices are going to be several years old with your budget and the past maintenance is a big unknown.

Any water intrusion will severely damage any unit regardless of the brand. Sometimes these repairs are cleverly hidden/covered up.

Just like a S&B house start at the top (roof), look for evidence of regular maintenance (condition of caulking) and condition of roof.

Look at all systems especially the slide mechanisms, landing gear, plumbing (look closely under sinks, tubs and showers)for evidence of leaks.

Look at all of the flooring around the entire perimeter of the unit for soft spots/rot/mold. Pay close attention under all windows, and in front of the exterior door.

This may sound a bit paranoid, but RV's just don't fare well if they aren't maintained properly.

There are some well maintained units out there and when you come up on one it will stand out.

Good luck in your search and enjoy the new life!