cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Dakota Address is shutting down with little notice!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
This is the email being sent out by Terri Lund, the MyDakotaAddress.com manager:

I regret to inform you that we are closed for business as of July 31st. Thank you for your business and friendship. I cannot express how saddened I am to give you this information.

Unfortunately, any mail that arrives for this address will be returned to sender as of July 26th.

Please let me know your current address so we can get your mail sent to you now.

After talking with most of the mail forwarding companies in South Dakota, I would strongly recommend that you use DakotaPost in Sioux Falls, South Dakota to help you with your mail forwarding needs.

They seem to be the most like us. They have a very caring staff that will provide you the best in customer service. They will be happy to take care of your mail forwarding and continued South Dakota residency needs.

I have negotiated with DakotaPost to waive their sign up fee for my clients and to match my price on the GOLD plan with their Virtual Mail Box Service. By the way, their Virtual Mail Box Service is regarded as one of the best in the industry and the first of its kind in providing digital mail to its clients. DakotaPost will also provide attractive pricing on all its other mail forwarding packages.

To ensure folks get this handled in a timely manner DakotaPost will open this Saturday July 28th from 10:00 AM CST โ€“ 2:00 PM CST to help you get signed up and answer any questions you might have.

You can also sign up online at dakotapost.net by clicking on Travel Solutions โ€“ Mail Forwarding - Start The Process Online Now.

Their normal business hours are Monday โ€“ Friday 8:00 AM โ€“ 5:00 PM CST. Do not hesitate to call and DakotaPost will help you out with your needs. Call 1-800-477-2664.

About DakotaPost

They have been in the mail forwarding industry since 1989. They are a full service company that does vehicle registrations, registered agent services and we offer other solutions to the challenges full Time travelers face. DakotaPost is in a large 8000 sq. ft. facility perfectly located in Sioux Falls SD with a team of 15 caring employees waiting to serve you.

https://dakotapost.net/

Phone: 800.477.2664

Dakota Post

3916 N. Potsdam Ave

Sioux Falls, SD 57104

I am truly sorry for all the inconvenience this will cause you.

Best Regards,

My Dakota Address

110 E Center St

Madison, SD 57042

605-427-5863
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
14 REPLIES 14

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Jbird wrote:
Ive had Terri's service for about 10 years. Not one complaint and many,many kudos for Terri. As a fulltimer,Ive had SD residency thru her. Now with Dakotapost which seems to be fine-----BUT,while I was a registered voter in Madison(MyDakota),Im told by Sioux Falls(Dakotapost) that I cannot be a registered voter.
Hard to understand that SD counties can decide who can vote.

You were a registered voter in Madison County and when you did such, you had to spend a night in Madison CO, correct?

Same thing in Minihaha County. Go spend a night there, get the residency there and you can vote.

Don't blame this on SD or the counties. This keeps you from voting more than once

Well,the voter registration form has a section in which one fills out the previous registration location and it is then sent to that location,cancelling registration. I checked with Madison County and was told that they would get it,no problem. I cant see that multiple voting is the issue here.

SD is clearly fulltimer friendly,but this voting business is not.
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Jbird wrote:
Ive had Terri's service for about 10 years. Not one complaint and many,many kudos for Terri. As a fulltimer,Ive had SD residency thru her. Now with Dakotapost which seems to be fine-----BUT,while I was a registered voter in Madison(MyDakota),Im told by Sioux Falls(Dakotapost) that I cannot be a registered voter.

You were a registered voter in Madison County and when you did such, you had to spend a night in Madison CO, correct?

Same thing in Minihaha County. Go spend a night there, get the residency there and you can vote.

Don't blame this on SD or the counties. This keeps you from voting more than once

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We are out in the bush in Alaska only have one day a week to have internet. Found out last Saturday we were without a mailing address. Made a trip in today to get things started with a new provider. Only thing important is the DW's med delivery but she has that covered by a couple months. Inconvenient but not the end of the world.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even a week isn't long enough. It took approx 6 weeks to get everything going to the new address when I changed my service. So glad we are with a different service and not having to deal with this.

Goodnightseattl
Explorer
Explorer
@Mr.ed Yes Terri was always helpful and very nice. And they did what they said they would do. BUT and it is a BIG one...Giving your customers ONE days notice of the closing of your legal address has to be seen by anyone fairly assessing the situation as just out of bounds. It has enormous consequences for many.

I fully understand the financial reasons for limiting the notice on a closing like this. But there is a responsibility ethically to your customers and One Weeks notice would not have hurt them and would have allowed many to recover much easier. And frankly resulted in less hassle and work for Terri and her husband. Also it would have left them with a much more positive reputation than what will be rendered by closing like this.

Now in fairness to them I will say that after a couple of attempts at contact I got an answer from Terri regarding my questions, my mail and the change of address. She has been responsive. However Dakota Post seems to be the holdup now. Terri has made every attempt so far to help us resolve this matter and get us a new address. She is doing everything I think in her power at this time.

However this all could have been avoided. One Weeks notice would have given even me time to recover as I would have been somewhere that communication was far faster and easier than my present location.

It is sad to see anyoneโ€™s dream lost or any business fail and I am sympathetic to their predicament. I do wish them well and hope they recover from this.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my Dakota Address for years and Terri Lund was a pleasure to deal with. She often went out of her way to be helpful. For example, since her business was within walking distance of the DMV, she would always assist me with DMV matters, such as re-registration. Now I have a permanent mailing address in Tucson. I'm sure her customers will miss her.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Goodnightseattl
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify that I do beleive overall this is a big problem with some serious consequences for many people.

Some issues that spring to mind are:

What happens to peopleโ€™s renewal notices for vehicle registrations that are due in August as mine are?

What happens to money that may have been paid to MDA for postal services that will not be rendered?

What could be the reason for a ONE DAY NOTICE of a complete shutdown of a company? In my long business experience a company knows well in advance it is in financial trouble. The only reason for such short notice that I can see, at least without further explanation from MDA, is they wanted to conserve as much income as possible before notification.

This could also affect some Credit Card accounts via the address and if this is your sole โ€œhomeโ€ address this change will make it appear that you have moved.

Goodnightseattl
Explorer
Explorer
I just got this email today the 30th. To complicate matters I am in Greece at the last 15 days of a 4 month trip to Europe. While the change of address with the postal service can all be made online and is not really a problem what concerns me more is WHY did this business so suddenly go out of business?

This is a highly unusual scenario. Were they shut down by the postal service? Does anyone have any information about this?

I get very little mail there but the big reason I use them is my SD address and renewing my vehicle plates.

A notice of one day is not only highly unusual it is highly questionable.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
This is a real problem with little notice.

I like My Home Address. I have been using them for about 10 years. They did go through a change of ownership a few years ago with no problems at all. If you tell them that PMB 1312 referred you I will get a referral fee. Thank

X2 .... Referral Fee at MHA is now $50 ....:B
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Good reason to dump paper mail.

There are still a number of legal items that require snail mail.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Your Best Address in Sioux Falls and have for a few years now. Would recommend them to anyone that needs a new service. They were very helpful to us when we were establishing our residency and their website has a lot of information and forms that are helpful.

This would be difficult for anyone with the short notice - hope they are still going to forward people's mail until they have a chance to get their addresses changed as mail will continue to go there for 60 days or so.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good reason to dump paper mail.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
This is a real problem with little notice.

I like My Home Address. I have been using them for about 10 years. They did go through a change of ownership a few years ago with no problems at all. If you tell them that PMB 1312 referred you I will get a referral fee. Thank
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos