Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Full-timing questions

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My first post in the forums (be gentle if i break any social rules) ๐Ÿ™‚ My wife and I, and our 5 kids are seriously considering full timing. I've been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to post for the first time with some questions. Here goes:

1. 5th Wheels to buy. We're wondering what the "Chevys" and "Cadillacs" of 5th wheelers are? We really like the 2015 coachmen brookestone, but we've also looked at a 2013 Keystone Raptor today that was pretty posh. For us, the bigger the better and the TV will most likely be a Ford f-350. but we're wondering who makes the low end and high-end of 5ers?

2. Trailer parks or....What appeals to us about full timing is being able to be out in nature. I'm a semi pro photographer and i want us to be able to see beautiful places without breaking the bank each month. The wife and I are not excited about being in trailer parks with the kids being around who knows who.... are there "nice/safe" places to stay other than local trailer parks (this is the dumbest of my questions, i'm sorry but I don't know of any other way to ask it?)

3. Monthly camping/rental cost. I know this varies, but we're trying to figure out a budget and we're not sure what to put as the "rental space cost" per month. Sure would help if we could get a ball park.

I have a 1000 other questions, but I'll hold off for now, thanks again!
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
34 REPLIES 34

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider volunteering at federal Campgrounds. You will get a free site usually with water, electric and sewer.You will volunteer so many hours a week in trade. This will cut down on expenses and allow you to photograph nature. In the Tonto national forest I have gotten great shots of Road runners, Gila monsters, tarantulas and man different birds.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Where we're going to be is still up in the air a bit. I work for a very large company and HR/tax rules are quite nuanced. I know i can be in Florida, California and Seattle without issue, but tax concerns/hr rules elsewhere can make it complex. I'm sorting all this out still.

That said, the plan is to be in a one place for 2 weeks to just under a month before traveling more. We'd like to stay someplace decent. Not fancy (though here and there would be nice) and definitely nowhere "funky" with questionable neighbors. I'd like to see us boondock for a couple of days out of the month - maybe on weekends...

I was hoping to be closer to $300-500 not $900-1500 per month. I didn't know electric would be extra. I wonder if electric would be cheaper for an RV than a home?

We just looked at a 2013 keystone raptor toy hauler tonight. It was in great shape: barely used even. Even had a generator. We're not ready to pull the trigger though I want to make sure "this is a good one" and all that first.

I'll have to get educated about campsites and rental space...any suggestions on where to get started?
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a big difference between trailer parks and RV parks.

Some RV parks are very high end. They don't allow kids and are $120/night.

Some others are cheap and funky, and some are in the middle.

Some parks do have both trailers (mobile homes, or here we call them 'park models') and RVs. Again, there are ritzy places and not ritzy ones.

You can find whatever type you want :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak to the 5th wheel question but for the others:
Will you be traveling all the time or staying put in one area? If so, what area?
1. Check out www.woodalls.com for campgrounds and RV Parks. State and Federal usually have a 2 week stay limit. Privately owned parks usually have monthly rates. After you find some parks, always check them out on www.rvparkreviews.com
2. We spend about $900-$1500 per month on campgrounds. That's an average of $30-$50 per night. That usually includes water, electric and sewer. Sometimes it includes cable. You won't be able to rely on cable or wi-fi. You will need satellite TV and a wi-fi hotspot like Verizon mi-fi. Both are expensive.
If you find parks with monthly rates, most of the time they charge extra for electricity. They usually explain that on their websites and give the amount per KWH they charge. They require a deposit and usually bill monthly for electric. There are also RV Resorts that sell lots. That works if you stay in one place for several months.
For an idea in Florida, check out Williston Crossings RV Resort in Williston FL. It has a nice pool and rents monthly sites. Another problem you will have with campgrounds and RV parks in Florida is that they are geared for snowbirds and cater to older people. When we travel we see lots of families at KOA's and Yogi Jellystone Campgrounds but they do cost more because they have more things for the kiddies. Some in popular areas with lots of amenities could be $100 per night.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

With a family your size with with 5 childern I would be looking at a toy hauler with two bathrooms. You can find them with two queen size beds in the toy hauler area and also a bunk loft located in the kitchen area.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon