Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Full-timing questions

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My first post in the forums (be gentle if i break any social rules) ๐Ÿ™‚ My wife and I, and our 5 kids are seriously considering full timing. I've been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to post for the first time with some questions. Here goes:

1. 5th Wheels to buy. We're wondering what the "Chevys" and "Cadillacs" of 5th wheelers are? We really like the 2015 coachmen brookestone, but we've also looked at a 2013 Keystone Raptor today that was pretty posh. For us, the bigger the better and the TV will most likely be a Ford f-350. but we're wondering who makes the low end and high-end of 5ers?

2. Trailer parks or....What appeals to us about full timing is being able to be out in nature. I'm a semi pro photographer and i want us to be able to see beautiful places without breaking the bank each month. The wife and I are not excited about being in trailer parks with the kids being around who knows who.... are there "nice/safe" places to stay other than local trailer parks (this is the dumbest of my questions, i'm sorry but I don't know of any other way to ask it?)

3. Monthly camping/rental cost. I know this varies, but we're trying to figure out a budget and we're not sure what to put as the "rental space cost" per month. Sure would help if we could get a ball park.

I have a 1000 other questions, but I'll hold off for now, thanks again!
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
34 REPLIES 34

ellenbehr
Explorer
Explorer
elhajj33 wrote:
we're concentrating now on a class A and towing a minivan behind us. I love the stretch idea, but I'm not sure I want to sink a ton of money customizing a truck like that!

Don't forget to consider what we used to call "TCO" when selecting your RV and tow vehicle -- Total Cost of Ownership: consider licensing fees, insurance, and maintenance, as well as fuel costs. Any RVer will tell you it's a rare trip when something doesn't go wrong -- you're driving your home down the highway, the equivalent of putting it through a continuous 5.1 (read that in a study somewhere) earthquake.

But also remember that propane is much less expensive than electricity, and your stove/oven will run on that, plus you can opt to heat your water with propane and run your refrigerator on propane, if you choose.

A bigger rig will use more electricity, which adds to your cost. We've found, over the years, that it cost us about $2/day for electricity -- maybe $4 when running the AC a lot; that was in our 38' fifth wheel.

Overall, it's hard to predict where your own expenses will be. As others have said, mostly it depends on your rig, where you park it, and how much you drive it.

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
i hear you, we're concentrating now on a class A and towing a minivan behind us. I love the stretch idea, but I'm not sure I want to sink a ton of money customizing a truck like that!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
That would be one long drive shaft. I wonder if the longer length would affect the tow rating ?

I would think that stretched F350 would be almost unmanageable in any situation where you're not going in a straight line or a highway curve. Seems like it would be impossible to make a right hand turn onto any single lane city street. Same for all those mall entrances that make you turn into the parking lot via a curved lane that's lined by a short cement wall or curb.

I know these things aren't meant to be used that way but if you were to use one as a tow vehicle then that would mean trips to Walmart, Grocery stores, etc.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
azjeffh,

Those are pretty cool. I've seen sedans and Hummers stretched, but not the pick-ups.

I wonder if their payload/towing numbers decrease much after the stretching. Anyone know?

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
I have a question. What type of tow vehicle do you need to tow a fifth wheel and accommodate a family of 7? I don't ever remember seeing a pick-up truck with seating for more than 6. And that is crowded, especially with car seats. And pets?

Just wondering...

~Rick

Stretch...
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a question. What type of tow vehicle do you need to tow a fifth wheel and accommodate a family of 7? I don't ever remember seeing a pick-up truck with seating for more than 6. And that is crowded, especially with car seats. And pets?

Just wondering...

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I can help with a few of your questions -

1. Many campgrounds/resorts will have daily, weekly, and monthly rates. Normally the weekly rate means you get the 7th day free. The monthly rate will be excellent but you will most likely pay for your electricity usage.

2. The best way to save money is to not travel so much. Stay at least a week so as to get the discount. This also saves on fuel cost. Do the math. You can drive 200 miles every day and pay the daily rate for 30 days. OR travel just 4 times a month and pay the weekly rate. OR travel one day a month a pay the monthly rate. This why the cost of a month can vary so much.

3. RVs/campers/5ers are worse to heat and cool then your house. My electrical bill for month in the winter last year in the Phoenix area was about $100 - $120. I heated electrically most of the winter. I can only imagine what the bill would be for cooling one in a hot climate. It sounds like you may be a heavy electrical use customer. If comparing monthly rates ask what the KWH rate is. A few pennies makes a big difference.

I use RVparkreviews.com to find good places to stay. Suggest that you pick a city and check out all the different CG rental costs to get an idea of what you're looking at.

As stated before, check out Williston Crossings. I stayed there for a winter. But they may be a 55+ park. Also Cochise Terrace in Benson, AZ. Really nice place.

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
ellenbehr wrote:

We never RV'd before going full-time, and wish we'd followed the advice we ignored: rent one and try it out first on a familiar trip. We just plunged in, found out we knew NOTHING despite more than five years of preparation, careful rig selection, and thousands and thousands of "book-learning" pages.

I agree. My first trip was 7 months long :).

But I deliberately spent the minimal amount of $$ on my van setup because I knew that I would not know what I wanted in an RV until I tried it. Surprisingly, it turned out to be pretty good, but I keep modifying it to be even better. And I might someday buy something else.

I think the 9-person version of this would be: Buy a cheap used RV that runs well, with the intention that you will sell it and buy another, more expensive one next year -- once you really know what you want and need when actually on the road. I think doing that would cost less than renting one for a few months, and you would learn more.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
ellenbehr wrote:

remember that you'll want to balance comfort (family of 7 is a lot of people in an RV, but it's been done) with mobility -- the larger the rig, the fewer places you can get into. State parks and many federal lands have smaller, tighter spots you'll have to bypass in a bigger rig. Look harder at HOW the RV is made than what the amenities are -- you want something that will hold up MORE than you want some cute cupboards, for example ๐Ÿ™‚

This is where we're banging our head against the wall right now: New Gas Class A or used diesel? New gas will have a warranty and lots of amenities. Used Diesel will have more tow power (we're towing a 4k lbs minivan) but it's older so who knows what could go wrong.

btw, the site you recommended is awesome!

ellenbehr
Explorer
Explorer
You're getting some great advice! Yes, it's a lot to learn. If you haven't yet visited Margo Armstrong's website (http://rvlifestyleexperts.com/) you're missing a great repository of excellent info, all meant to help answer the very questions you're asking.

As for the rig, remember that you'll want to balance comfort (family of 7 is a lot of people in an RV, but it's been done) with mobility -- the larger the rig, the fewer places you can get into. State parks and many federal lands have smaller, tighter spots you'll have to bypass in a bigger rig. Look harder at HOW the RV is made than what the amenities are -- you want something that will hold up MORE than you want some cute cupboards, for example ๐Ÿ™‚

$500/mo to stay is do-able. Remember there are differences between "campgrounds" and "RV parks." Some places are restricted to RVers over 50 or 55. The guidebooks recommended are good ones and should help you with those.

We never RV'd before going full-time, and wish we'd followed the advice we ignored: rent one and try it out first on a familiar trip. We just plunged in, found out we knew NOTHING despite more than five years of preparation, careful rig selection, and thousands and thousands of "book-learning" pages. Even so, we can't think of anything we'd rather be doing.

Good luck!

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
hey all, been all over forums and rv listings last few days. We're negotiating for the toy hauler right now, but keeping our options open by looking at what else is out in the market.

we've also been researching tow vehicles.

The bathtub, by the way, is a nice to have. we've seen some models out there with tubs, but very few like you mentioned.

right now, our two favorite 5th wheels are the sand pipers and the coachmen brookstone (we love the brookstone's midship bunk: that would be the perfect place of me to work during the day; just have to find one at the right price.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteer.

You will have a hard, if not impossible,time finding anything with a bathtub. If it's to bathe the baby in just get a tote from Walmart. That works well.

Good luck and enjoy those kids!

On edit: sorry my link is not good. Go to recreation.gov volunteer.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1000 Trails clubs-
The only down for my RV needs is that you are limited in the number of days you stay before you have to check out.

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Check out Kelloggshow.com

thanks for that! Will definitely check that out.

We'll take a look at escapees and also 1000Trails. We have friends who have 1000trails and they really like it.

As for volunteering, there's no way I'll have 20hrs per week to help at a national park. I'll already be working a fulltime job and will have all my blogging and photography to do.

Lots of logistics, lots of research to do!