cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane use!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, here we are sitting looking out the back window at the river. Outside temps are around 25 mid day. Yea, It's cold. Temps have been hovering between25 and 27 daytime and 18-20 over night Some east wind out of the gorge really helps..... Yea, right! So got the big tank filled this morning, 7 gallons for 7 days. We are using the furnace to keep us around 67-69 inside. I really don't think this is too bad for a 9 year old 36 foot fiver.. We are supplementing the furnace with 1500 watt oil heater, so electricity is kind of expensive.
15 REPLIES 15

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Bill....most parks, once you get beyond a week or two will charge for electric. SKIP parks are some,some membership parks are others. We stayed a summer at 2 parks in Ohio that charged everyone electric, for every day.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larryzv7 wrote:
Iโ€™ve been RVing for many years and have never been to an RV park where they charge you extra for electricity.

Just because you have never seen it does not mean it does not exist. There are many long term and some short term RV parks that charge for electric. The Escapees parks are an example. They charge a low daily rate plus a fee per Kw. There is a meter on your pole.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

I wish the weather was that "balmy" where I am now!!

Since Nov. 12 when I left the BC coast, I have gone through about ten - 30 pounders. Lost track actually, it has been at least ten, maybe more.

Last night the mercury hit minus 32C - or minus 25.6 F. Yeah I'm sucking back a little propane, haha! But I do currently have a 1500 watt heater going to supplement it.

Then theres keeping stuff from freezing........

I'd love to see your temperatures here! LOL!

Calgary Alberta
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
Presently we are in a State Park on the Oregon coast. Between the electric heater and the propane furnace we stay comfortable. I hope this mass of cold air tempers (warms) before it hits the Southern Rockies. We have had some very cold nights and the day temps haven't warmed up much.

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
As it gets colder and we look for ways to keep warm, bear in mind that using the oven or stove top for heat is not a good idea. There is no venting on the stove or oven and if you use it for long periods of time you will fill the living space with carbon monoxide. (This is not good)

The same with ventless propane heaters. They have an oxygen depletion sensor so they will shut down when the oxygen level falls below dangerous levels. (Again venting combustion products into your living space is not good)

Be careful with propane when trying to stay warm

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The simple truth is that RVs are just not insulated to the same standards as sticks 'n' bricks are these days, so yeah, they can suck up a lot of propane in cold weather.

I'm in the sticks 'n' bricks even though it isn't all that cold here (projected to hit 30 tonight). I got a pair of down-filled booties for christmas a couple years ago that I just love to pieces for keeping the toes toasty. They work even on the cold floors of the TT. But thank god for the wood stove here in the house.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Rent yourself a 100 lb propane tank from a local propane company and they will come refill when needed...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like everyone is staying warm. I also fold up a small rubber backed rug and place under my feet under the table where I sit at my computer. Helps keep the tootsies warm. ๐Ÿ™‚

bjcarpetguy
Explorer
Explorer
We are about 20 for the high today. Have been using furnace off and on as mine is an older rig and about half the time it won't fire.
Have a small electric in bedroom and a 1500 watt Quartz in living. Do have oven on right now as I on the computer which is directly in front of it.

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
propane heaterYou might consider a forced air heater they tend to circulate air a bit better and may be a bit more comfortable. I have seen a few people that live year round up here install ventless propane heater,they are 99% efficient I have one in my garage it works well and is easier on the propane.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I usually just go to National and State Parks for two-weeks max. in California and Military Campgrounds where I can stay for up to 6-months at some and they do not charge extra for electricity. I am currently at Beale AFB Famcamp for a 2-month stay; until January, and they do not have a weekly or monthly rate. I guess I havenโ€™t had to pay for electricity because Iโ€™ve never stayed longer than a few days at private campgrounds. Very fortunate to be able to use military campgrounds.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monthly space rentals are pretty cheap compared to daily/weekly rates, so they do charge for electricity.

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been RVing for many years and have never been to an RV park where they charge you extra for electricity. I am currently in Northern California, and while we did not get as cold as a lot of places it still dropped down below freezing the past few nights and we had a lot of rain. Iโ€™ve got two electric heaters going in my 5th wheel and it keeps things toasty, around 65 to 70 inside the fiveโ€™er. Saving my propane for hot water and cooking.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, we had to quit doing our week-end driveway camps (here at home) for a while. Temps dropped between 12 and 32 for some time now. Running the propane and even supplementing with electric heat is costing to much now. So I unplugged the camper for a while and just have to enjoy the fireplace inside the house. Been though 4 tanks of propane since September. We're heading for Florida Christmas week, so decided to hold off the week-end camps until then. I suppose when we get back home, I'll keep her buttoned up until weather breaks and temps stay above 32 again. Then we'll go back to the week-end driveway camps! Yup! It takes a lot of propane to heat these babies in the winter!