cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retirement

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
When you retired, did you have a plan as far as what you were going to do with all that free time. DH is retiring this spring and he's dreading not having something to do everyday. I can make a big list, but he's not interested in that!
25 REPLIES 25

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Well it sounds (from what is said here) like you guys are all busier now than when you were working for a living...So you guys all slacked off at work...hehehehe Just kidding.

I plan to retire at the end of the year as long as the incoming $$$ continues to balance with or be more than the out going. I began planning to retire after the military and got bored after only 2 years. The wife wanted to work and I ended up basically in a rut. Up at the same time everyday, off to the golf course, meet the group, play 18 holes, have a beer, go home, eat lunch, do honey does, take a nap and watch TV, go to bed.... next day the same. DO NOT DO THIS... it is worse than going to work. Anyway I went back to the rat race and am thinking it is time again to retire.... the problem is the DW is still not ready to give it up. I am thinking that it will end the same as last time...in a rut. I don't mind volunteering and that would be fun, but there is no place close by. Then if I do I have to budget that cost. The money part and the boredom is what I fear. Maybe just work part time and all will be OK, but the travel will be shortened.... decisions, decisions.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
If you are stationary, I advocate part-time work. We are in a grand-family situation, my wife and I each have part-time jobs that we both enjoy for the most part. The kids grandchildren, a little work, home projects, a nice social life create a wonderful balance of life for us. We do travel for a month at a time and I must say I'm ready for our Philly and Florida trip in March. We are fortunate that we are able to take a few months a year to indulge ourselves in travel, and our part-time work, family and friends are here upon our return.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I had been planning for about 2 years, but we went from s & b to a fifth wheel and truck FT. The house closed on Monday and we were already in Chanute to pick up our RV in our new truck (with other vehicles sold). Hubby used to pace in elevators and didn't want to retire... I told him I would send postcards. He decide to retire! We were very busy the first year learning about the RV etc and went to Florida from Washington state and then up to DC and back to Washington. No time to be bored! He has NOT regretted retiring!!!

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I retired 10 months ago and yes I had a plan. I've always had interests outside work (cycling, running, camping, sailing, fishing, rc flying travelling.........etc). The first 6 months of retirement were exhausting - I spend the mornings doing work around the house (I live on a few acres - so they need tending). After lunch, I enjoy my hobbies and by the evening I'm so tired that I go to bed EARLIER than when I used to work.

I thought the winters would be boring (Im in NJ) but I have indoor projects which keep me busy and I reserve rainy days for museums, library, shows...

I have a "list" of activities in case which I keep with things that I want to do and as I travel locally I keep a note of other activities in the area.

So far been quite busy but I do know that there are people who retire and sit in a chair all day and are happy - each to his how
Gerry

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
you didn't say whether you are retired or still working. That makes a huge difference. When both are retired you can travel more and be bored less. If only one is retired and that person only had their work it can be a problem. He needs friends he can do stuff with, learn new things or he will be miserable. Easy to get depressed, sleep late and have no motivation. Maybe he should volunteer or get a part time job if you are still working until you can both travel. Sounds like he's not ready for the rocking chair!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
There are tens of thousands of charitable organizations that need volunteers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Heck I am busier now than when I was working, even became a steam locomotive engineer, no one more surprised than me.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I've been retired from my life time job for 11 years but there are days when I think I would like to go back to work to rest up. Just get involved with a good service club (I've been a Lion for almost 50 years and every club I know of could use your input and help). There is also you church and many other good organizations that would love to have you as an active member.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is in his late 60's. He sits in a chair all day.

It makes me proud to read this forum and hear all the stories of those that aren't waiting to die. My retirement goal will be to be like you guys!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We had decided to travel and have been going on six years. Mainly volunteer for USFWS refuges where DW can indulge her passion for wildlife and birds. As a retired carpenter there are always projects to keep me busy.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
TheKunkels wrote:
...........we want to camp till the Lord calls us home.

Yep. Cheers. ๐Ÿ™‚

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
barbandwayne wrote:
When you retired, did you have a plan as far as what you were going to do with all that free time. DH is retiring this spring and he's dreading not having something to do everyday. I can make a big list, but he's not interested in that!

Make a small list and don't add any pressure. If he's bored he will get to it. If he's not bored he's a candidate for permanent retirement and he'll find lots to do!!
I haven't run out of things to do yet and it's been almost 14 years.. don't know what I will do tomorrow... but something will pop up!! ๐Ÿ™‚ It's only 8:30 PM now and in 12 hours I will start with my morning 1/2 hour walk (doctor's orders!) and go from there.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

The_Kunkels
Explorer
Explorer
I had to quit back in 2002 when I had a heart attack. Two months later they found a tumor next to my lung ( not attached to it ) but I got total disability cause the judge found I couldn't do gainful employment. When turned 66 it turned to SS retirement.
Before we get too old (66 & 67 now)we want to camp till the Lord calls us home.
God Bless โ€ 
The Lord loves you so don't leave home without Him.
Safe travels to all.
God Bless โ€ 

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I had a plan and I strongly recommend having one. Mine wasn't cast in stone but it gave me some goals. Over the past five years it has changed considerably but I have not missed working even one day. Rarely seem to get bored.