cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadschooling?

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We're soon to be off permanently travelling, with our son, He's 16, and will have 2 years of High School to finish "On the Road"

We see lots of fulltimer's blogs and such with little kids, but what about high school?

I imagine we won't be able to count on having the ability to stream wifi, so a book and DVD based program might be best?

Looking for experience from people who have been there and done that.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've run across a couple/few families home schooling, on the road. last one of memory was a family from California. We still have their info somewhere. Haven't heard from them in long while. They were traveling and schooling their junior high and high school two kids.
Sister home schooled our Nephew. Last year or so was a challenge but somehow he played sports etc. He turned out better balanced and more highly educated than the current county wide factories. he is now a Teacher himself and wife. Doing a bang up job.
You have to do lesson planning and set goals. The children learn more when it is one on one than when it is one one thirty and it takes less time and they concentrate better. No bullying, no drugs, no social indoctrination, wasted time on things outside, of the three Rs etc, and a happy knowledgeable kid with a better outlook on life. They get to see the Country and learn from the settings and the people, like First America, and where history was made.

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gearing up for full-timing with my little guys and I joined a forum called Secular Homeschool (google it) to prep for roadschooling. It mainly non-religious --or just religious people who don't necessarily want a religious based education. But the amount of information from pre-school through high school (including transcripts, SATs, college prep stuff) is AMAZING. It's a great group of people sharing loads of ideas. A handful are "roadschoolers" but all are homeschoolers.

Best of luck to you! What a spectacular way to finish out high school…seeing the country!
Me (39), DH (40), DS1: 7 DS2: 6
Grand plans to take the fam on the road for a year+.

RVMomof3
Explorer
Explorer
I would defiantly check into a mifi or using your phone as a hot spot. That is what we do and we have not had any service issues, but then again we do have Verizon. I am not sure about any book or CD options as we have went to an online program for portability. It is called Time4Learning. I really like their new highschool courses 😉

Here is a link to their site- http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/high_school.html

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
where you have as your legal residence will decide what school he can graduate from assuming you are looking for a HS diploma. Having said that it appears you have been given two things to look into an online charter school and Citizens on line school. Have you spoken with the administrators of the Christian school that he attended, they maybe able to give you information on a home schooling program that he could use, no matter where home is. Often snail mail, email, and on line can all work together.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
His "common core" public high school has few options, none of which are available to people who are no longer taxpayers in this county.

We are really really hoping for something that will lift him beyond the lowest common denominator most common in our public high schools. But yet, a "real school" with a "real curriculum" that will in 2 years be accepted by "real colleges"

FYI, he did k-8 in the local private Christian school, and is easily a year ahead of anything the public high school is offering. Smart kid who is drifting down the road of video games and easy everything.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
GA has a online charter school, that your student does his work either online or submits online. Illinois may have something similar. I would check as it has a standardized syllabus and is considered college prep, including preparation for SAT or ACT needed for college entry.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

LG61820
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter completed her high school education with Citizen's High School. It's an accredited school housed in FL. This was pre-internet. I believe they still offer books and paper assignments.

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you will need a home school for him to graduate from, are you planning on using the school he is presently attending? Do they offer on line classes? In his last 2 years he may have only a couple of courses left to "graduate" and most courses would be college prep anyway. Be sure to get the curriculum for the classes, even though it will be tempting to "use where you are" be sure he covers the necessary material.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
You might check with your cell carrier about a MIFI for those places that do not offer WIFI. They are not 100% either but unless you are really rural, will pick up a signal. We do not home school but have friends that do. Most rely on the internet especially for research and projects
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

nottoosoon
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled full-time with our last teen. This was in 2000, so I'm sure there are more computer courses out there now, even if you have to buy a disc. We used the Math curriculum we had been using for several years, so really no change there. His dad (at different locations for work much of the trip) and I are both good at math, so we just had a book for each year. We tried to focus on connecting our studies to the areas we were traveling. Visitors' centers and local people are great to answer, "What would be on your "do not miss" list if you were trying to learn about the history and economics of this area? Our son was into the Civil War in a big way, so we visited lots of sites, from the starting battle, to the site of the ending. Oak Ridge, TN was amazing if you are interested in WWII. I had him do writing assignments about each state. On what is their economy based? When and why did this state enter the Union? What are on-going issues in this area? We also used a program I bought, I think it was called Prodigy, in which we purchased a paperback book, and the program asked for essay answers to questions about the book. If you are not up on grammar and composition, don't feel bad. We are raising our granddaughter, and if you can type the question you had, you are better than many of her teachers. It just depends on how much time you are willing to spend with your own input. We usually did school in the morning, sometimes while I was driving, and incorporated museums, etc. whenever available. It is not that different from homeschooling in a sticks and bricks house. You just have a lot more options for outside activities. We had always been fairly structured in our schooling, so I continued basically in that manner. This was our last child, and the only one that I wasn't working full-time and being mom, so I really enjoyed it. He is now working in some computer job with a very high security clearance, and doing quite well. He has been to every state except Hawaii, and traveled most of Canada as well. I used what he was already interested in, and built around that. It wasn't all fun for him, but most of it was fun. You can whip out a day's worth of school in short order when it is individualized. It is also a good chance to interest your kid in something you like. I started reading "Lord of the Rings" - all four books with "The Hobbit" - aloud to him, and two years later when we finished, he immediately started reading the whole series over by himself.
More info than you wanted, but I do miss those days!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
We're soon to be off permanently travelling, with our son, He's 16, and will have 2 years of High School to finish "On the Road"

We see lots of fulltimer's blogs and such with little kids, but what about high school?

I imagine we won't be able to count on having the ability to stream wifi, so a book and DVD based program might be best?

Looking for experience from people who have been there and done that.

Try this site. It is a collection of families that are on the road.

I'm sure some of them have teenagers.

Families On The Road
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006