cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide-Out Stabilizer Jacks

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
As fulltime RV’ers we sometimes stay in one place for a long time with our slide-out extended and I’ve been thinking about getting some kind of stabilizer support for my slide-outs. I did a search online and only found regular RV jacks so I was wondering, do they make jacks especially for RV side-outs?

Some RV’s, especially Class-A’s, are pretty high up off the ground and would probably need a different kind of jack for their slide-outs but 5th wheels maybe could get by with regular jacks if a person wanted to put jacks under their slid-out. As much as I plop down into the dinette bench located in my slide out I’m thinking it would not hurt to have a stabilizer leg under there.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel
8 REPLIES 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larryzv7 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback; I did not consider the movement of the trailer. My slide-outs are okay, it is just sometimes I wonder about whether it needs more support. What all of you have said makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Larry:)

P.S I also have some extra jacks which I was going to get rid of but thought I'd use them under my slide-out. Bad idea, glad I asked about this here before using them that way.

Use those extra jacks under the frame forward or aft of tires......takes the bounce out.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback; I did not consider the movement of the trailer. My slide-outs are okay, it is just sometimes I wonder about whether it needs more support. What all of you have said makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Larry:)

P.S I also have some extra jacks which I was going to get rid of but thought I'd use them under my slide-out. Bad idea, glad I asked about this here before using them that way.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that if your slide room is not stable get it repaired rather than prop it up and risk further damage. Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try searching this Forum for `slide' then search the results for `stabilizer' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT USE THEM...you can cause damage to the slide

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
If they didn't give you one with the trailer then they don't want you to use one.

X2
Reason is......they are not needed. Slideouts are self-supporting.

Use of 'jacks' can cause damage to the slideouts.

If rig should move (either forward/backwards by chance but more likely down as in settle) the slideouts move with rig.
Jacks could cause upward pressure on slideouts in rig should settle.
Upward pressure can cause damage/twisting/out of alignment issues.

Just because a product is offered for sale via aftermarket doesn't mean it is better, an improvement or needed.

Save your money for something that IS needed.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If they didn't give you one with the trailer then they don't want you to use one.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
From everything I've read and heard about slide-out, you don't put jacks under them. The Keystone Owner's manual also says don't put jacks under them.

I suppose the risk of trailer movement would cause damage on the slide mechanism by putting stress in the wrong places.

I personally do not think it's a good idea. But there again, "to each his own!"