cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The other side of full time

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I read hear many are to broke to do anything but set under full time. They seam to set in parks months at a time and can't aford the fuel it take to move that much. I'm seeing more of this every year. I'm not saying all do this but many are just setting waiting for the check in the mail each month. I once wanted to full time, but saw that I want to spend time at our main home and cabin to. So I guess we are just part time travelers and never spend more then a week at most in one place.
So big a world, so little time to see.
40 REPLIES 40

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
OK....fun time is over......when a thread gets nasty, it gets closed,.....too bad, so sad....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
So...in your definition we are NOT fulltimers because we sit for months at a time as we complete a contract, and then move to a new location and contract....all the while living full time in our RV...which is the only home we've owned for 8 years?

You really need to get a better grip on the English language....IMHO!
You need a better grip on your math.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
So...in your definition we are NOT fulltimers because we sit for months at a time as we complete a contract, and then move to a new location and contract....all the while living full time in our RV...which is the only home we've owned for 8 years?

You really need to get a better grip on the English language....IMHO!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
hitchup wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
The word full timer has become a (COOL) word to use today when ask how you fit in, Traveling folks who move on a fairly regular basis year round and have sold off most things back home, and move around as they feel like, it is what a call full timers. The RV's with one good tire and a truck load of chap under his RV behind on the rent and has not moved in 2 years is not what I would call a full timer. I would call them homeless with a wore out RV. The ones who come south for the winter are just snow birds. Those who travel all summer in cool country are part time travelers. I'm just a part timer my self, but look real good at it.

I wouldn't have the heart to tell the 84 year old couple that we met at Wmsburg, VA during our first year of full timing that they weren't really full-timers. They are only Snowbirds because they spend Winter somewhere in Florida and then drive the Motor Home up to VA to spend the rest of the year on his niece's land.

And I'm sure that the Insurance Company wouldn't know how to charge them for Snowbird,

Part-timer's Insurance.
The problem today is every body wants to act like Opaha and not call things what they are, I called it what it was and that the way I see it.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
The word full timer has become a (COOL) word to use today when ask how you fit in, Traveling folks who move on a fairly regular basis year round and have sold off most things back home, and move around as they feel like, it is what a call full timers. The RV's with one good tire and a truck load of chap under his RV behind on the rent and has not moved in 2 years is not what I would call a full timer. I would call them homeless with a wore out RV. The ones who come south for the winter are just snow birds. Those who travel all summer in cool country are part time travelers. I'm just a part timer my self, but look real good at it.

I wouldn't have the heart to tell the 84 year old couple that we met at Wmsburg, VA during our first year of full timing that they weren't really full-timers. They are only Snowbirds because they spend Winter somewhere in Florida and then drive the Motor Home up to VA to spend the rest of the year on his niece's land.

And I'm sure that the Insurance Company wouldn't know how to charge them for Snowbird, Part-timer's Insurance.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Supercharged wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I'll feed the troll. 😉

So you still didn't provide a point. Are you suggesting we outlaw or ostracize these people?

While I wouldn't consider them full timers (full timer in my mind has the implication that they travel on a regular basis in thier RV), I have no objection as long as they keep a tidy site, don't cause problems and the park owners are OK with them being there long term.

I would break full time down into 3 sub-catagories, though the lines between them can be a little fuzy and people do drift between catagories:
- People who live permanently at a campground and don't move.
- Snowbird who spend a few months in one location down south in the winter and up north in the summer.
- Traveling folk who move on a fairly regular basis rarely stopping for more than a few weeks at a time.

Nothing wrong with the people in any of the catagories but there is often confusion in discussions as people mean one catagory but because it's unclear, other people assume a different catagory.

You still haven't clarified what your point was.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
We consider ourselves fulltimers but do spend several months in one spot because we volunteer. Why, because it's the retirement we want. Travel with purpose. We're relatively young, healthy and have talents that are needed at places that are under staffed by Government. Much of what we do wouldn't get done if it weren't for volunteers. Also because we feel your never to old to learn and volunteering allows us to venture to non-public areas, gain experience with wildlife from professionals who are more than willing to share their knowledge. It's a good way to travel. We could travel more but I'm sure we would get bored as many fulltimers have told me they do after a couple years of continuous travel. We take a couple week or a month to move from position to position and see the sights along the way.
Volunteering is a great thing for all to do, but for the gov. no, I would not spend one min. of my time for those who would take my time free and turn around and spend my tax money like a drunking sailor, not trying to speak bad about a sailor. As I read today that the gov. spend $600,000 per house in Ajo for houses that should run $100,000 ea.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We consider ourselves fulltimers but do spend several months in one spot because we volunteer. Why, because it's the retirement we want. Travel with purpose. We're relatively young, healthy and have talents that are needed at places that are under staffed by Government. Much of what we do wouldn't get done if it weren't for volunteers. Also because we feel your never to old to learn and volunteering allows us to venture to non-public areas, gain experience with wildlife from professionals who are more than willing to share their knowledge. It's a good way to travel. We could travel more but I'm sure we would get bored as many fulltimers have told me they do after a couple years of continuous travel. We take a couple week or a month to move from position to position and see the sights along the way.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

EndeavorV10
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:

I look at it this way, if people live in an RV due to a situation that put them there then who am I do judge. Times aren't exactly awesome right now. They are fulltimers, in my view anybody who lives in an RV is one, who am I to label them? There are places for people stuck living in an RV to stay, since most of us don't live in a park like that we don't see what its like, at least I haven't and pray I never will be.

After all, could be you me or anybody here living fulltime in a wore out RV some day. Your current RV may become that wore out rig that other people will scoff at.
2013 Montana 3725RL Fifth Wheel
Saving up for F-350 Premium Dually 6.7 Diesel
My RV Blog

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I'll feed the troll. 😉

So you still didn't provide a point. Are you suggesting we outlaw or ostracize these people?

While I wouldn't consider them full timers (full timer in my mind has the implication that they travel on a regular basis in thier RV), I have no objection as long as they keep a tidy site, don't cause problems and the park owners are OK with them being there long term.

I would break full time down into 3 sub-catagories, though the lines between them can be a little fuzy and people do drift between catagories:
- Snowbird who spend a few months in one location down south in the winter and up north in the summer.
- Traveling folk who move on a fairly regular basis rarely stopping for more than a few weeks at a time.

Nothing wrong with the people in any of the catagories but there is often confusion in discussions as people mean one catagory but because it's unclear, other people assume a different catagory.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We've seen all kinds of full-timers in the last 8 years. Many have children in one state, but choose to set up in another for various reasons. They don't move, the clue to that is they drive a sedan vs a diesel truck. Other's don't even have that, maybe a moped.

Some are too old to drive far and are just waiting for their time on Earth to run out. Some are too young and use the RV as a home while one or both still work and they save money for an upgrade to a house.

Then on the other end of the spectrum is the people with their huge Class A's, pulling a nice toad and don't stay more than a few days or a week.

We're in the middle. We've owned homes, been stationary for decades and now go where the work is. Who knows how we'll travel once DH is allowed to retire. We have no idea how the stock market will treat our 401k's and IRA's. But we are optimistic that we'll be comfortable and be able to choose when and where we want to travel and are thankful for being able to not be stuck in one spot forever.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'll feed the troll. 😉

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
All this reading material and my morning coffee! It's gonna be a great day!
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
A troll is a mythical, cave dwelling being depicated in folklore as eitherarguments or dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.
Troll in the internet slang form is a person who sows discord by starting arguments on the internet by posting inflammatory, extraneous or off topic messages in an online community.
Stats shows 93% of pedophiles were also trolls on the internet. They lacked social skills and to draw attention to themselves they had to post remarks that would cause a stir. This trait would make them feel powerful and hopefully attract a minor audience.