cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to figure out legalities

RIA
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived in one place for 23 yrs. but my landlady is selling. I am ready to hit the road. I can't find any info about someone who has no state to call their own. How do I handle insurance. I plan on switching SS check to the card so I don't need a bank. How do I handle registration, inspection, et al. Any advice?
32 REPLIES 32

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Nevada has smog testing in Clark and Washoe counties which is Vegas and Reno. Vehicle fees are high here. My pickup cost $800 and is only registered for 21,000 lbs. my TT that is 6 yrs old still cost $153 this year. Anyone i know that fulltimes is South Dakota.

RIA
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to let all responders know I appreciate the valuable advice. I am looking into Florida since I have an aversion to the north. It gets too cold & stays cold too long. LOL

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I would not recommend Texas as a state to register your truck and RV, you have to return there every other year to have it inspected. Many states do not require inspection of the frame, brakes, and such, they trust the owners to not drive broken down vehicles.

I would suggest looking into Nevada. I hear they do not have excessive high vehicle regerstration, don't think they have smog certificates, and no state income tax. You can also hire a mail box service that can sign for certified mail, and run a small business if you like from that address. You can have your mail forwarded to anyplace in the United States.

Yes it has been done before. Look at the Exscapee's club, they forward mail for many members to all areas of the country! You do need to pick a state, there are advantages to several of them. One being Oregon, where RV registration the first year is kinda expensive, but after that it is fairly low cost, and the sales tax on a replacement vehicle, or anything else is $0 !

Yes you will need to register all your vehicles in one state, and get the drivers license there. Get insurance, and make sure that the policy you get is not void if you spend more than 60 days at a time out of state. Heck you might decide you like to stay in Oregon, less humidity, and very green!

Fred.

Nv has emmisions testing, at least Clark co does. Not quite sure about the rest of the state.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other advantage to Escapees mail forwarding is that if you get called for jury duty, you just tell the county that you are an escapee and you get excused. My husband got called about 6 months after we went full time. they just asked that he see if they needed any jurors if he happened to come thru town.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
RIA wrote:
I have a friend who has a S.S.I. card & it has the MasterCard emblem. That is why I don't need a bank that hits you for fees.

We have a senior account at our bank and don't pay any fees. Lots of CUs don't have fees or waive them if you have a savings account with a minimum balance.

I could never live without a bank, even if we retire and no longer get DD for weekly paychecks.

We need a savings account for emergency RV repairs or upgrades. We occasionally get a refund/rebate check and I can deposit on the smart phone app directly into the account I want.

We don't pay fees on either of the bank accounts. Plus if we need cash, one of the banks refunds the fees to use a different bank ATM.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for clearing this up. I emailed the question to the Texas Highway Patrol on Sunday and I'm still waiting for an answer. Thankfully, it's not a 911 matter!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
RIA wrote:
I have a friend who has a S.S.I. card & it has the MasterCard emblem. That is why I don't need a bank that hits you for fees.

We have a senior account at our bank and don't pay any fees. Lots of CUs don't have fees or waive them if you have a savings account with a minimum balance.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

RIA
Explorer
Explorer

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
2gypsies wrote:

Golden HVAC: You do not have to return to Texas to have the vehicle inspections.

I have a question for 2gypsies (or anyone else with an answer). I currently live in TX and would like to keep my TX residency. However, I have this concern that one day I'll be driving back into TX after a long stay away and I'll get busted for having an expired safety inspection sticker before I get a chance to get the rig inspected.
Steve
PS sorry to ask this question here, but I wasn't able to contact the poster via a PM.

All you'd have to do is present receipts from fuel, grocery, restaurant, etc. to prove you haven't been in Texas. In our 'full-timing world of friends' I've never heard of this being a problem. Plus, once you re-enter the state (it could be after 12 years when it's time to renew your DL is person), you have a 5-day grace period (I just checked the website) before having to have the inspection. We've just driven through TX and didn't have re-inspections. It takes about 5 days to cross Texas. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this helps but, I live in Indiana. I use a good friends address for all my mail. so MV, insurance, etc. I get it there. If I get something important, he calls and let's me know. So I travel the US and go back to Indy every 2 or 3 years. It works very well for me. I'm on SS and Direct Deposit. all my banking is on-line. so once a month I'm rich LOL. Hope this helps.
Safe camping..

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
2gypsies wrote:

Golden HVAC: You do not have to return to Texas to have the vehicle inspections.

I have a question for 2gypsies (or anyone else with an answer). I currently live in TX and would like to keep my TX residency. However, I have this concern that one day I'll be driving back into TX after a long stay away and I'll get busted for having an expired safety inspection sticker before I get a chance to get the rig inspected.
Steve
PS sorry to ask this question here, but I wasn't able to contact the poster via a PM.

You have 3 days to get the sticker renewed after you get to your destination. Really isn't a problem.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls SD for many years as our mail forwarding service and as our street address for mail and legal purposes such as drivers licenses and vehicle registrations.

You can get a lot of good info on full timing and advantages of being a full timer with SD as your legal address from their web site HERE
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
Do a search for "Texas Domicile" lot of good info. Another idea is to call your department of public safety or highway patrol. You will get it first hand and from the direct source.

Thanks, I seem to be good at forgetting the obvious. Upon your advice I looked up the state PD website and currently have the question with them awaiting an answer. I'm hoping that I'll get a positive and useful answer that I can make a paper copy of to keep in my glove box with my insurance papers.
Steve
PS thanks all for the help, I don't want to distract from the original question anymore. However, I will post my response from the state PD when I get it.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for "Texas Domicile" lot of good info. Another idea is to call your department of public safety or highway patrol. You will get it first hand and from the direct source.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog