Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful advice for long term RV living

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone,

I'm still a few years off from hitting the road. When the nest emptys, we're hitting the road for months on end; a whole lot of hemisphere left to explore. I have a few years of weekend camping experience, but this is wholy next level, and need some advice on where to start (we have time 😉 )as there are a ton of options out there; I'm trying to pair this down to what's really needed, and what can be left on the camp store shelves or dealer lot.

Our rig has a ton of storage, so we can pack quite a bit. However, I'm not so sure we need to pack the house up every time we hit the road. Experiences vary, but what (as a general rule) does everyone find is most needed, and what can be left at home? We plan on spending more time outside, so a nice grille and residential fridge are comming, once we get the garage electrical fixed and upgraded.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***
14 REPLIES 14

bound4fl
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Don't over pack or worry about forgetting something.

There is a WalMart in almost every town to fill in with any forgotten items.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Soon you will realize it ALL is small stuff.

Have a good attitude and have fun.

X2
Killin time waitin on tomorrow.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Don't over pack or worry about forgetting something.

There is a WalMart in almost every town to fill in with any forgotten items.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Soon you will realize it ALL is small stuff.

Have a good attitude and have fun.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention this will be our first trip longer than a weekend, though we did live out of a 27' TT for a few months about 6 years ago. We stayed on a military base, so everything was right there.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
comfortable chairs for outside and a small fan to keep the bugs away, citronella candles. We went to the dollar store and Wally World and bought stuff to leave in the RV until we started full timing. Didn't have to pack anything but the food and beverages. Clothing layers for changes in weather so you don't have to pack so many clothes. Less is more. Remember the weight. Remember you can buy stuff on your travels as you see what you really need.

Speaking of bugs; we camped in GA last summer, and were swamped with gnats. Even gnat repellant didn't phase them they were so thick.

We do that now, though always forget something and have to swing into the local Wally or other shop and spend too much for what we already have at the house. Great thing about a TH, though, is the storage room I have, and can keep extras if needed, as we don't haul toys.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Sounds like you are going to snowbird not fulltime. You might want to also post your question in the snowbird section, better answers from people who go for shorter periods of time. For fulltimers there is no discussion of what do you leave behind, because the rig is your home so everything goes with you.

Barb

Snowbird or fulltime; a lot of requirements cross over. Since I've already posted, I think it will stay just where it is, thanks. 🙂
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
comfortable chairs for outside and a small fan to keep the bugs away, citronella candles. We went to the dollar store and Wally World and bought stuff to leave in the RV until we started full timing. Didn't have to pack anything but the food and beverages. Clothing layers for changes in weather so you don't have to pack so many clothes. Less is more. Remember the weight. Remember you can buy stuff on your travels as you see what you really need.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Sounds like you are going to snowbird not fulltime. You might want to also post your question in the snowbird section, better answers from people who go for shorter periods of time. For fulltimers there is no discussion of what do you leave behind, because the rig is your home so everything goes with you.

Barb

Ditto...
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Concentrate for a few months (each season) on what you USE at home that you NEED. Unless you make smoothies/drinks, you don't NEED a blender. See what I mean? Yes, 9 pairs of shoes is an overkill.....one pair for rain and one pair for sun is my motto. Clothes.....a few more. I can pack a carry-on for the airport for 12 days of traveling........:) 🙂 the 5th wheel for full-time is a piece of cake.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
Great replies so far.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

Barbilou_and_Fu
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape, WD-40, battery charger, shovel and cat litter or salt, spare or extra "parts", tarps, tools, bungies and come-a-longs. Because s#!@ happens.
Books (Kindle) or hobby supplies for bad weather.
Generator.
You only need 2 sets of sheets, but more towels than you think. (leaks, spills)
TP that dissolves.
Convection/Toaster oven is more versatile than a toaster, and electric frying pan for when you run out of propane. And a Crock-Pot is nice.

If you want to go to Mexico, I have more...
Casita (made of straw bales!) in Dos Palmas near Kino Bay

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C has as much storage as we need to pack for 2 for 2 months at a time. I'm not sure what people stow in those huge basements I see below many Class As. I've noticed that I do the same thing in the RV as I do at home, I buy too much stuff I don't need.

We pack 3 outdoor chairs, a small grill, a screen house, a BOSS vacuum cleaner, basic tools, 2 bikes (packed in the back of the CRV), all my computer equipment fits under 1 dinette bench, and all the other usual stuff.

I don't miss anything from home when we're gone.

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a great laugh reading your post...when we first started out in our Airstream, I took 9 pairs of shoes...9!! My hubby still laughs. We now have a Class C and actually carry less than we did in the TT! Due to experience and a lot of teasing...I now travel with 3 pair.
I believe its going to be an experience thing as we all have different wants/needs as to what we take. Last year we took a 3 month trip and for the first time, we felt we hadn't overpacked...until hubby walked into Home Depot one day...boys and their toys!
Dog Folks is pretty spot on!
Safe travels.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Pack 1/2 the clothes you think you will need.

Allow twice the time to explore.

Take twice the amount of money you think you will need.

This sounds trite, but I kid you not.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006