cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wardrobe Space

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Attn full timers!! We have been daydreaming about living in the 5th wheel full time. One thing we have been trying to figure out is where to put clothes. Our 5th wheel has two small "shirt" closets on either side of the bed. That is all of the wardrobe space available. So what do you guys do??
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
13 REPLIES 13

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
We have summer and winter stuff here. Make a trip to the storage shed in the spring and fall and switch Rubbermaid totes and vacuum bags. It does get hard sometimes when the weather can't decide when to change.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We don't need much hanging space, even with DH's work shirts (Summer/Winter). Drawers are nice for undies and socks, but I prefer open shelves for jeans, sweatshirts and even T-shirts if we didn't have enough drawers.

Open shelves are also good with plastic baskets and work better than drawers in some cases.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned...either buy a rig with more closet space &/or trim down the wardrobe. Our closet is plenty big enough and we try extra hard to not take more than we will realistically use. Any off season items are kept in the back of a huge corner cabinet.

We actually have too many cabinets...we can pack in too much stuff and have done so then hung our head in shame when we realized it was way too much! We are cleared out now and much happier!

If you will be traveling all over the country all times of the year it does pay to have warm and cold season clothing items handy. We wear sweat shirts almost year-round here. Many times we've needed a coat going to the Rodeo the 4th of July.

Just be real about what you actually will wear and what you just think you want. We are all creatures of habit...we go for that favorite shirt or jeans so do that...go with a few favorites, a few items for an occasional dress up event and get real about how the fulltime lifestyle is made for easy wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
After retiring, I gave suits, Sport coats, slacks, ties etc. to GoodWill, the dress shirts are never ironed nor do our jeans, tops, T shirts. WE wear tennis shoes and the wing tips are gone!

You will find that most RVr's go casual (but not all).

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
you can do vacum seal bags..mashed flat..
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
camper19709 wrote:
As a fulltimer you do not need "a lot" of clothes. Just remember that the people you see today do not know you wore that same shirt yesterday.
just sayin
๐Ÿ™‚

this is my favorite answer... ๐Ÿ˜‰
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you fold most of your clothes...t-shirts, shorts, sweat pants, jeans etc. They can go in drawers, or you can put shelves in one of your closets and put the folded clothes on the shelves. You can get those square cloth storage bins for sox, underwear etc if you don't have enough drawer space. You don't need full length wardrobe for anything but long coats and dresses which you undoubtedly won't need when fulltiming. You can store those rarely worn items under your bed.
It's not ideal, but it's cheaper than buying a new RV.
We plan on spending the majority of the time in locales where it's warm enough to wear shorts/capris and short sleeve shirts.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
camper19709 / Chip wrote:
As a fulltimer you do not need "a lot" of clothes. Just remember that the people you see today do not know you wore that same shirt yesterday.
just sayin.

Obviously Chip doesn't have a DW!

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jjwms
Explorer
Explorer
When we first began to full-time we had a fifth wheel with a big living room slide but without a bedroom slide and only shirt closets. Within 6 months we traded it in for a fifth wheel with the big living room slide and a bedroom slide so we could have decent hanging space. I also put wire shelves at each end of the closet. We didn't pack a lot of clothes but enough we used all the space we had.

So I would recommend you look at a bigger rig with a floor plan you can live in. It's really important that folks realize that fulltiming is a lifestyle and it is NOT camping.
Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
just sayin
๐Ÿ™‚
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't like my answer, either: we've got a ton of bedroom cabinets (a whole slide-worth).

I've looked at your floorplan and I can't imagine, besides using the overhead cabinets above your bed, where else clothing could go.

Do you have any under-bed space? You could install some drawers there. If you are short people, consider adding a shelf all around the bedroom above the windows.

Or become nudists. Poof: problem solved!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a fiver with bedroom slide out. That will get you a large closet all across the front of the fiver.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't like this answer, but my DW asked me to trade for a new FW that had lots of wardrobe space. Of course, I obliged her.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)