Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which path to take ??

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am starting to work on my full time plans. Part of that is the path I wish to take across the US. Has anyone got recommendations on the best way to travel to enjoy the US? A part of that plan will help miss the winter season hopefully.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your patience,
Dave
19 REPLIES 19

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
We fell in love with Bryce canyon area. We stayed at Ruby's Inn. Well worth it.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Fair winds and a following sea....Utah is worth a large part of your summer time

pops

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently looking at:
All our real estate is for sale, but we have no buyers.
My business is barely making ends meet, and won't pay the property taxes.
The town we live in is going to close the main drag for 1-3 weeks while a construction project rebuilds the railroad tracks in the center of town. This is guaranteed to be a HUGE inconvenience.

She says "we gotta take off in the bus while that road is closed"

When I suggest "iowa", covered bridges and Madison county and such, she says that's not far enough....
I love my bus, but it costs FIFTY CENTS PER MILE to drive it.
And if we still own the S&B and all that, the bills, they don't stop.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your wife and mine have a lot in common....

Trying hard to convince her that we do go fulltime, it will not mean screaming from destination to destination like we're "on vacation."
I put in a 300 mile per day vacation limit a few years ago...
The "full time limit" will be 150 miles, and only move one day out of 3. At most.

NOT a vacation. A lifestyle. a way of living. Go to "any place" and stay till you get bored, and then move on. 150 miles.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
I must say I love the personality of this site. Thank you all for the in-site and advice. Now to share it with my wife.

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
The path less traveled.

Darn I wanted to say that !!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
We lived all of our working life on some sort of schedule.

The first thing we did when we started full timing 16 years ago was get rid of the schedule. No need to be any place at any given time or date. Go when we want sit when we want.

Relax and enjoy the ride it's part of the adventure, don't race through the day to arrive at a specific place that day. It will grate on your nerves after awhile.

We have never made reservations, we wing it. We call ahead to see if they have a spot a couple of hours before we stop for the day. If they don't we call some place else. We have stopped for a day and ended up staying a couple of weeks.

it's obvious that our way of traveling is not for everyone. Some need to plan down to the last minute of every day.

It's not a race.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The good news is that there is NO wrong way to see this great Country! The point your nose and go attitude is the correct one. While I love visiting S. CA (we are in Temecula now) there are so, so many wonderful places in the Country that you will find it hard to breathe it all in. The NW all Summer long, the UP of Michigan, NY State, the Canadian Providences, fresh Maine Lobster, Key West, FL (avoid all the rest of FL!), Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Arches and Canyonland....Don't get me started. It's great. Just plan to go slower than whatever you currently have planned.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Thank you very much for the ideas. To summarize. Point my nose and go. This is exciting.:B now to get my wife to relax and get her just as excited about this new life. She was born and raised So Cal. She is very scared about leaving this place. Me don't get in front of me cuz I will run right over you getting out. I love to travel, see new things and meet people.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Avoid all interstates and stop often. Northern states in the Summer, Southern states in the winter.

X2 :W
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend thinking in terms of south to north rather than west to east. That way you can enjoy the warm winter and gradually travel north for summer. While north move east a little for Fall and then head south to a new wintering area. Keep moving across the country by up and down.

We, too, would advise you to stay off the interstates for the best way to see this beautiful country. Enjoy your new lifestyle and remember - it's not a vacation, it's a whole new way of living.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
If you want nice weather in the winter you'll have to head far south - southern Florida, Texas and New Mexico near the Mexico border, southern Arizona and southern California. The Rocky Mountains are wonderful in the summer. Northern California and the Oregon and Washington coasts are nice too. Spring and fall can be spent traveling. Just check the weather along your routes for tornadoes, flooding and early or late snow storms. When your house can move there's no reason to spend time where the weather is bad!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We left So. CA and went N/E to tip of Maine
Left Maine and went S. down East Coast to FL.
Left FL and went N/W to WA.
Left WA and went S. down West Coast to CA.
Left CA and went N by N/E to Upper MI then E. to Upper NY
Left NY and went S. to Gulf Of FL.
Left FL and went N by N/W to ID
Left ID and went in a zig-zag S-E-N-E-S-E-N-E-S-E-N to VT
Left VT and went S. and then W. across mid US States to CO then N/W to WA
Left WA and went S. down thru eastern side of OR/CA then over to AZ

Took us almost 7 yrs.
Traveled secondary/back-roads as much as possible. Stayed off/away from Interstates as much as we could.

Point your nose and GO!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
We travel north around late April but this year we should have waited later. We spend summer in the Midwest and leave for FL around late Oct. We usually visit family and friends on the to and from the south. DW has been battling Cancer for 5 years and has doctors at our Summer and Winter stops right now. She's going to beat it so we can get go to the North Central part of the country. She wants to visit the Custer Battlefield and Dakota's since her father told her of his time up there years ago. Her father side is related to the General and she had studied this side of her family. We've visited home sites and graves in WV, OH, and MI but have not make it to the battlefield yet!