cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexico RV tourist....

rvmex
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps many of you do not know me but a few pehaps do, My name is Fausto Garcia from Hermosillo former owner of the Kino Bay RV Park from 1973 to 2005, and I have a question fo all RV'rs coming or came to Mexico, your answer will be very much appreciated.......

QUESTION: In the past 12 years how much does you think the RV Tourism has decreassed in Mexico. You can give me a percentage....

Thank you.....
66 REPLIES 66

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
What does a risk management company do? They identify risks and supply protection and insurance. It's a business. Do you think they are going to sing the praises of Mexico? Heck no. They want to give the dirty low down so they can sell. That's the business they are in, to scare people.

Same with tourism. Will they play up the negative? Please. They sell vacations.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
If your life is guided by fear, then do not travel. Travel is not the combat infantry.

We turn 75 next month and just got back from 12 weeks in Ecuador and Peru. Traveled a lot by bus and had no worries. That said, I do not plan to vacation in Libya, Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan in the near future. We have only been down to Yucatan 3 times, overnight at all-night Pemex stations and have had no worries. We do pay attention to the blogs and State Department and travel accordingly: do not drive at night.Yucatan is safer than anyplace in US with a homicide rate of 2 per 150,000.

Reed and Elaine

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
Here's a second chance. Let's see who or what you blame it on. Please address the issue not my experience in Mexico or Detroit's problems.

If you want to start quoting news items about what happens in this country or that country we could go on all day. Here is one you won't be able to top with anything that happened in Mexico........

Timothy James McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was an American terrorist who detonated a truck bomb in front of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. Commonly referred to as the Oklahoma City bombing, the attack killed 168 people and injured over 600. According to the United States Government, it was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the 9/11 attacks, and remains the most significant act of domestic terrorism in United States history.

You pick the acts of a few individuals in Mexico and blame the entire country for their behavior. Imagine what the rest of the world thinks about the US based on news reports. There is crime and there are criminals everywhere. If you are afraid to go to Mexico then don't go. If we look at the world in those terms we would dig a hole in the ground and concrete it all around and go live there and never come out. Fear is what you make it.

There is a very long list of murderers in the US news reports - massacres on school campuses, colleges, movie theaters, the list is far too long to get into here.

Most visitors to Mexico stayed confined in all inclusive resorts and know absolutely nothing about Mexico. MM49 has been on this forum countless times over the years proving he is totally ignorant of any real facts about Mexico. Lets try not to pay any attention to him or anything he has to say - he is from Detroit for goodness sakes!!!
Your showing your true colors. Which cartel do you really work for?
MM49

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a second chance. Let's see who or what you blame it on. Please address the issue not my experience in Mexico or Detroit's problems.

If you want to start quoting news items about what happens in this country or that country we could go on all day. Here is one you won't be able to top with anything that happened in Mexico........

Timothy James McVeigh (April 23, 1968 – June 11, 2001) was an American terrorist who detonated a truck bomb in front of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. Commonly referred to as the Oklahoma City bombing, the attack killed 168 people and injured over 600. According to the United States Government, it was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the 9/11 attacks, and remains the most significant act of domestic terrorism in United States history.

You pick the acts of a few individuals in Mexico and blame the entire country for their behavior. Imagine what the rest of the world thinks about the US based on news reports. There is crime and there are criminals everywhere. If you are afraid to go to Mexico then don't go. If we look at the world in those terms we would dig a hole in the ground and concrete it all around and go live there and never come out. Fear is what you make it.

There is a very long list of murderers in the US news reports - massacres on school campuses, colleges, movie theaters, the list is far too long to get into here.

Most visitors to Mexico stayed confined in all inclusive resorts and know absolutely nothing about Mexico. MM49 has been on this forum countless times over the years proving he is totally ignorant of any real facts about Mexico. Lets try not to pay any attention to him or anything he has to say - he is from Detroit for goodness sakes!!!

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
MM49 wrote:

SOS International is an world wide rescue service used all of the fortune 500. Please tell me where they got it wrong. By the I've been working in Mexico longer than you have traveled it. Don't try to BS me.
MM49

Actually, it is "International SOS" not "SOS International".
Try to get it right please.
You've got it wrong.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
So far no one has addressed any of the content of the information. The best that any can do is attack the source. Maybe some of the locals could say "yes this is a problem you avoid it by convoy when traveling through this region" The responses have been very typical of prejudice nationals.
MM49

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
Picking and choosing of media to suit a need is old hat. And from what I have discovered, this organization deals in health welfare, not having any presence in actual problems. In fact, that is all they do up front although covert action from Michigan is not ruled out. Read and investigate yourself before believing someone's opinion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_SOS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Why do the conversations always end up the same? No wonder there are very few posters on this forum. You could start a thread about Tacos and it will end up with an outsider stirring the pot.MM has a habit of doing this over and over. AS Chris says it does not matter if you have lived in Mexico since Cortez arrived. Obviously Low T is not a problem for some posters.

Moisheh

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
MM49,

I am sure you have vast experience traveling in Mexico so probably know a great deal more about it than my over 40 years of traveling there. So instead of telling us what you have read in the yellow press you tell us of some of your personal experience and leave out the media nonsense. I can certainly post some crime statistics about the great state of Michigan where there are some of the world's highest murder rates. If you have nothing of a useful nature based on personal experience maybe you can find another forum where things you actually know about will welcome your vast knowledge.

'On June 23rd, Mexican authorities announced that they had arrested Ruben Oseguera Gonzalez, known as ‘El Menchito.’ Oseguera is the son of Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as ‘El Mencho, the head of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG). Elements of the Mexican Army conducted the operation in the Zapopan area of Jalisco, and he was arrested without incident.
Analysis: CJNG is one of the most powerful cartels currently operating in Mexico. The group has engaged in significant violence with the Mexican government, including an ambush that left at least fifteen state police officers killed in April. In May, the group used a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) to shoot down a Mexican Army helicopter, killing several Mexican soldiers. Previous arrests of high level cartel leaders have triggered significant acts of violence by the CJNG, and it is likely that the arrest of the group leader’s son will continue this trend. An increase in crime in Jalisco, as well as Michoacán, Colima, and Guanajuato is likely in the coming days and weeks.
MM49

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I have nothing in this fight, but I really don't care for one upsmanship. It proves nothing. It's not about how long someone has done something. When it comes to living, working or traveling in a foreign country, it's about what style of life people live.

For example, here in Monterrey there are several Fortune 500 companies. If there employees are American, I can guarantee they stay in one of three neighborhoods, don't learn the language, stay tied to the U.S. consulate, and rarely mix with the local population.

They are here temporarily and aren't interested in what the country or people do. That's fine by me but their take on the country is much different than mine.

I've met experienced travelers who have only spent a year in Mexico and many have a much better take on what is going on then those that are native or have lived here most of their lives.

It's about experiences. You won't find them sitting in an rv park on a secluded beach or a pueblo magico.

So don't try to BS me either no matter what SOS International does.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
MM49,

I am sure you have vast experience traveling in Mexico so probably know a great deal more about it than my over 40 years of traveling there. So instead of telling us what you have read in the yellow press you tell us of some of your personal experience and leave out the media nonsense. I can certainly post some crime statistics about the great state of Michigan where there are some of the world's highest murder rates. If you have nothing of a useful nature based on personal experience maybe you can find another forum where things you actually know about will welcome your vast knowledge.

SOS International is an world wide rescue service used all of the fortune 500. Please tell me where they got it wrong. By the I've been working in Mexico longer than you have traveled it. Don't try to BS me.
MM49

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
MM49,

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
briansue wrote:
But the type of crimes one is most likely to encounter is the property crime not Murder. Focusing on Murder tells us very little and misses the real point.

I agree - but I did not write the story - I just quoted it. I think it is very difficult to get accurate crime stats anywhere - even the US - where the FBI and Dept. of Justice keep records to make the head swim.

Two points I try to make.......

We should not be judging an entire country - any country - by what happens in certain specific areas. Because there is a lot of crime in some areas does not mean the whole country is a war zone.

People seem to believe they are safe in the US but they won't be safe if they go out of the US. The press does not help. No one thinks the entire US is like Detroit. Why think Mexico is less safe than much of the US?

I am also pointing out what I hear from people in RV parks in the US when we tell them we spend our winters in Mexico. I have been hearing it for over 40 years but more so in recent years with all the cartel stuff. All we hear is the cartels this and the cartels that. If we don't get killed we will be kidnapped or our vehicle will be stolen or just about any crime you can think of will surely happen to us. Well it never has - not in all the years - not one single crime has happened to us in Mexico.

So to try to reply to the question - we think RV travel is down in some areas of Mexico. But in other areas we cannot find a space available. Some RV parks have closed but I think they put themselves out of business by charging too much and providing very little for the money - and requiring US dollars which we do not have in Mexico. How much should we really pay for an overnight stop when all we need is a little electricity? Much easier to find a Pemex where we can park for free. We very much want to support the RV parks in Mexico and we do whenever we can - but many have priced themselves out of business. It is not the idea that we cannot afford to pay but that we are being asked to pay far more than what we get for our money. That said - the same is happening in the US which is why we seem to be evolving into Walmart parkers even though we hate the whole idea.

I'm a member of SOS International. They publish a daily security post for all of the worlds hot spots. How about I re-post the Mexico detail and let you twist it any way you want. There is not a day that goes by without a headline.
MM49

Mexico: Authorities Arrest 24 Kidnappers in Operations across Country
On July 8th, Mexican authorities announced that a series of operations carried out by Federal Police resulted in the arrest of 24 suspected kidnappers and the rescue of 15 suspected kidnapping victims. The operations took place in the Mexican states of Hidalgo, Veracruz, Guerrero, and Tamaulipas as well as the Federal District. Authorities also recovered numerous firearms and narcotics in the operations.
MM49

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
But the type of crimes one is most likely to encounter is the property crime not Murder. Focusing on Murder tells us very little and misses the real point.

I agree - but I did not write the story - I just quoted it. I think it is very difficult to get accurate crime stats anywhere - even the US - where the FBI and Dept. of Justice keep records to make the head swim.

Two points I try to make.......

We should not be judging an entire country - any country - by what happens in certain specific areas. Because there is a lot of crime in some areas does not mean the whole country is a war zone.

People seem to believe they are safe in the US but they won't be safe if they go out of the US. The press does not help. No one thinks the entire US is like Detroit. Why think Mexico is less safe than much of the US?

I am also pointing out what I hear from people in RV parks in the US when we tell them we spend our winters in Mexico. I have been hearing it for over 40 years but more so in recent years with all the cartel stuff. All we hear is the cartels this and the cartels that. If we don't get killed we will be kidnapped or our vehicle will be stolen or just about any crime you can think of will surely happen to us. Well it never has - not in all the years - not one single crime has happened to us in Mexico.

So to try to reply to the question - we think RV travel is down in some areas of Mexico. But in other areas we cannot find a space available. Some RV parks have closed but I think they put themselves out of business by charging too much and providing very little for the money - and requiring US dollars which we do not have in Mexico. How much should we really pay for an overnight stop when all we need is a little electricity? Much easier to find a Pemex where we can park for free. We very much want to support the RV parks in Mexico and we do whenever we can - but many have priced themselves out of business. It is not the idea that we cannot afford to pay but that we are being asked to pay far more than what we get for our money. That said - the same is happening in the US which is why we seem to be evolving into Walmart parkers even though we hate the whole idea.

I'm a member of SOS International. They publish a daily security post for all of the worlds hot spots. How about I re-post the Mexico detail and let you twist it any way you want. There is not a day that goes by without a headline.
MM49