cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 volt DC not charging on shore power.

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
We are out camping this weekend and the 12 volt isn’t charging on shore power. Which of course means my lights and thermostat amount a few other things aren’t working. If I start the engine everything works just fine. I don’t have a multimeter or anything to check the incoming power to the battery. Anyone have any tips or tricks to work around this. The rig is a 2019 Entegra odyssey.
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
Good idea to carry multimeter. I have several different meters including an AC/DC amp meter and a OBD code read.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
Sincere thanks to everyone who provided suggestions on this. Those interested in what the issue was, or for anyone that happens to find this in the future the issue was a blown 50Amp circuit breaker. So basically a 3 dollar part, and 15 minutes of work and it was resolved.

Brief summary for anyone that might find this thread.
Symptoms started with interior lights dimming down to nothing, thermostat not working, and one outlet also not working, even though plugged into shore power. Temporary solution is either a portable battery charger, which I will carry from now on, or on a Class C run the ignition to give the batteries a charge.

If I had brought my multimeter, purchased a second one to keep in the RV permanently, highly recommended, I would have been able to isolate the issue in about 15 minutes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Let us know your outcome!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback on this. We weren’t able to figure it out, checked all the fuses and they are fine. Appears something is wrong with the converter itself. We made it through the trip with out to many issues, and are having some professionals look at it now.

Appreciate everyone’s information and attempts to help us figure this out.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
On the 12v fuse board with the converter, if you have that setup, are two larger fuses, probably green color 40 amp? that are the fuses that blow if you try to connect the batteries backwards. I suspect there are other reasons for them to blow also, but worth checking those two in particular. When these blow, the converter will not charge the batteries.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Battery connection should not have any effect on shore power not providing 12 volts DC. This would be lack of 120 volts AC to converter or inverter charger if equipped, transfer switch issue, blown converter fuse in 12 volt DC distribution panel or reverse polarity fuses.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
^^^ the above two posts... one of the first steps in troubleshooting virtually any 12V problem is to check connections, especially grounds!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clean the negative battery post to where it grounds to the chassis. Probably a bolt within close prox of the battery. I had the same symptoms as you and the ground rusted and corroded. I just ran another new ground to a clean bolt.
All work fine after that.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Simplest first - Remove terminals from coach battery one at a time and clean the battery posts and terminals and replace one at a time. Make sure they are tight on the posts.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
50 amp rigs are not 240 volts!
They are 120/240 volts.
OP has two A/C units which normally on a rig with 50 amp shore power. Each A/C unit is on different legs of shore power.
One A/C unit would be on primary leg of shore power along with most of the 120 receptacles and the converter. Some receptacles on rigs equipped with an inverter could be fed by or through the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like you have a fifty amp shore power and the main leg is not working. Are you using an adapter?
Start the genset if equipped and see if everything works.

Master Electrician here. Please tell me how you determined this to be a 50 amp rig? 50 amp RV power is 240 volts. It is made up of TWO main legs each being 120 volts. 240 between the two. 30 amp RV power is 120 volts. One main leg.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Strador wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Converter is not working.
Check for 120 volts AC to rig. Check to see if microwave or A/C works. Use a 120 volt appliance to check receptacles. Verify circuit breakers are set. Turn off all circuit breakers applying light pressure toward off. Then turn on main circuit breaker if equipped followed by branch breakers.
Verify that GFCI receptacles are not tripped.

Microwave works no issues ever. We have 2 AC’s one works, it’s a stand alone, the main one connected to the thermostat me doesn’t work. Checked all the breakers nothing is tripped. The fuses connected to battery are all intact, there are 2 of them. All of my outlets are working except one. The one the TV is plugged into, guessing that is 12 volt because ones I start the engine everything works. One other thing I just noticed the main power switch doesn’t work either, unless the engine is running.

The TV outlet is powered by the Inverter. The inverter is powered by 12 volts. Invwrter changes 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC. I am assuming you are calling the main power switch the "Battery Disconnect switch".(salesman switch) The RV world considers the Main Power switch to be the 120 main circuit breaker. Check the battery voltage. be sure the Salesman switch is on. Check 120 volts to the Converter with a voltmeter. If you don't have a voltmeter get one and learn to use it. AS you now see it is nessessary.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
To get through the trip consider getting a portable automatic battery charger.
Need minimum 5 amp rating and 10+ amps is better. Put it direct on the battery terminals and let it run.
Don't forget an extension cord if needed.