cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1984 Ford Honey

sputterbug10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at buying a 1984 Ford Honey. I don't know much about these. I wonder if you all think it worth the $6000 she wants for it. The listing says, "1984 honey 23 ft motorhome rv. I hate to see it go always been good to me just time for something bigger. Has lots of work done over the years but it was done right not slapped together and painted! Every window or seam is sealed with rv lap sealant the roof was painted with roof sealer so no water leaks.Up frount above the cab was rebuilt from the tin to the paneling with new insulation as the same for the back wall in the bathroom. It has a new refrigerator electric only but all the other appliances work as they should including furnace,and ac will freeze you out. As for the truck all the work was done professionally it has new exhaust manifold gasket, both fuel tanks, water pump,voltage regulator, u joints,rubbor brake hoses frount and rear,steels in good shape,frount and rear wheel bearings serviced with new seals,all brakes have been inspected good with new rear wheel cylinders and hardware,all fluids front to rear changed,tires are only 2 years old." Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Elaborating on my no.

I drove a 1987. Chassis parts were simply not available in 2009. It is now 2021. So parts are even more scare.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been watching RV tv shows where a restoration company rebuilds old trailers ?
That would probably be a very good trailer to buy knowing the work performed was solid and backed by a warranty of some kind.
To buy one that from a private owner without backing it up ?
Like others suggested and pianotuna said…… ‘No’

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick search on NADA puts the first one I typed in at 3700 low retail and 4700 average. Now....start adding or deleting items and that would change.

An inspection by a RV mechanic is absolutely a must . Find a mobile mechanic and send him over there. I agree with the comment regarding paying for someones memories....

Autoshaman
Explorer
Explorer
Check it out ,if you like it and it runs decent and doesn't appear to be rotten from one end to the other then I say GO FOR IT ! Offer her 4k . Not everyone wants or can afford 50k for a glamper . Ive recently purchased a 74 winnebago brave with 36k original mile from the second owner . Does it need some love ? Yes ! Is it doable ? Yes! Did I pay to much ? Maybe. But it's what I can afford and the cool factor is over the top ! I drove it 5 hours home from Maine without a problem . iVE PURCHASED NEW TIRES FROM SIMPLETIRE.COM .They have all sizes including the odd ball 17.5's I needed for the old girl . Also tuned it up and replaced a few things . We are going to enjoy here in New England for the rest of the summer and this winter were going to tear it down and go through it . Ps if it's rotting you'll smell it .

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at local craigs list and found sever 1990-92 class c's for around $10K each. I think you need to look for something newer as other have indicated for a few $$ more!

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
She wants $6000 for the memories. Way overpriced, but she would be insulted if you offered what it is worth. $500 max.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That’s an excellent place to start…”Let me see the maintenance records.” Next I’d check the date codes on all the tires. Wanta bet on that? I’ll guess 5 years or older.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Bias belted proper size 8 ply tires are hard to get, many change wheels to size and type that fit modern steel belted tires. House box hardware, tail light lenses, etc. are collector's items. Save your money to buy a much newer current brand rig that has market value.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Could be decent.
Things that stick out are it obviously rotted out front and back to need “rebuilt” and no L.P. fridge means basically no fridge without being on shore power or setting up a big battery system.
That, and it’s carbureted and the 80s were the absolute low point in automobile power and reliability. Imo.

That’s the bad, aside from other things that can’t be gleaned from the add. You can find the good in it.
Personally, no one should have put all those repairs into that old of a previously rotted out RV, so I’d be super skeptical why all the money spent recently and now for sale.
No mention of miles or major maintenance/repairs. Like transmission namely.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That’s an OLD RV. If you want a project, yes. If you want to go camping,..
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think the decimal point is in the wrong place! Unless it is showroom condition, a 37 year old rv of any form would probably not be worth that amount unless it is an Airstream and even they have had bad years. I have had sellers try to put value on their memories but I don't care to pay for them. Keep looking.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, it’s 37 years old. It sounds like they have done a lot of work and correctly, But you would want to have that verified and that work is not hiding anything more serious, ie water damage in lower parts of the walls and floor.
You say that you are not familiar with the units, so I would recommend a GOOD RV inspector to completely go over the vehicle. They could possibly advise on the value $$. There still could be more and costly repairs possible in the near future.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
37 year old wooden box with 6mpg drivetrain. Hmmmm.....