cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1990 Dodge Xplorer Fuel Leak

tylerdurdeno9
Explorer
Explorer
After returning home after shooting some photos I noticed a very strong fuel smell. After checking under the van there was a large amount of fuel leaking over top of my transmission. After further investigation it appears my metal fuel line must have broken its mount and fell upon the transmission itself and burned through! The fuel line is set up as follows.

-fuel pump to line travels up the drivers side up to the transmission
-the line then passes over the transmission
-lines are then connected to rubber fuel lines on the other side of the transmission
-rubber fuel lines are then connected to metal fuel lines to the engine.

My question is would it be advisable to replace the metal line with a rubber fuel line in braided steel? I feel as though as long as I keep it clear of the transmission there will not be a problem. Has any xplorer owners here replaced the fuel line from the tank before? Thank you for your time.
Check out my RV Vlog!
https://www.youtube.com/user/tylerdurdeno9
2 REPLIES 2

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
As donn0128 said, replace the entire line. I have a 1989 Dodge based Class B and all the fuel lines were brittle. Mine is not an xplorer, it's a Merry Miler, but close to the same thing. Mine is a work in progress, should be a 2015 by the time I am through.
Courage is endurance for one moment more…
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO! Have a qualified shop run all new fuel lines. They were originally made or steel and after 24 years of abuse are probably all garbage to begin with.