cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time winterizing

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
I have read some of the winterizing post here and did my first time. I ran the antifreeze through the 12v pump till i saw the pink come out of all faucets, hot and cold sides, the only problem is that I did not blow out the system and at the end I drained the water heater (kind of backwards) will this work or do I have to start all over? I used 4 gallons of the product.
12 REPLIES 12

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Deano56 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
evidently you have no water heater bypass nor winterizing pick up fitting. I would suggest getting both before you have to do this again.
bumpy
I'm assuming that fitting should be by the water heater, I see a valve of some sort that has a wire ring that you would put your finger through and pull up on, a pressure relief valve? Other than that I will do some more looking. I did not even think about the hand sprayer for the toilet, better take care of that.

no check out the pictures at "hot water heater bypass valave on 2014 Thor challenger "
bumpy
no bypass system on my WH, I will invest in that

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another often forgotten water line is the black tank flush line.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
don't forget your outdoor shower if you have one.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
evidently you have no water heater bypass nor winterizing pick up fitting. I would suggest getting both before you have to do this again.
bumpy
I'm assuming that fitting should be by the water heater, I see a valve of some sort that has a wire ring that you would put your finger through and pull up on, a pressure relief valve? Other than that I will do some more looking. I did not even think about the hand sprayer for the toilet, better take care of that.

no check out the pictures at "hot water heater bypass valave on 2014 Thor challenger "
bumpy

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Is the water heater drained now?
Do you have a W/H by-pass valve set?
In the future, I'd:
1.) Open W/H drain.
2.) Blow out the lines with compressed air (helps keep the pink stuff from getting diluted with the water in the lines)
3.) Use the by-pass valves on the W/H and blow out the lines again (just to make sure...if the W/H isn't bypassed, you'll get air out the W/H drain.)
4.) Pump the pink stuff to all valves (sinks, toilet, toilet sprayer, and showers (inside and out)).
5.) Add remaining pink to the drains and toilet (to keep seal wet during the winter).

Typically, you can do a winterizing with about 2-3 gallons of A/F.

If you are not sure, I think I'd make the investment (about $6-10) and re-do the winterizing....after all, all you will have done, is add more anti-freeze to the holding tanks, and that won't hurt anything. If you did make a mistake, it could be costly, if it's not corrected:(

Good Luck:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Deano56 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Did you remember to run the toilet also?
yes

You should be good then. FWIW, a few things that often get overlooked is the outside shower and the sink and/or toilet hand sprayer. The hand sprayer part holds a few drops of water and will crack when frozen.

When I use to spend the winters up north (-40f) I took it one step farther and blew out the pink stuff. Don't think you need to do that in IL, but a Camco air plug is $3 at Walmart, and the amount of time it takes is about 5 minutes with an air compressor. Doing both those things I never had any issues whatsoever even with the extreme cold.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
kjburns wrote:
You should be fine. Normally, depending on your motorhome, you'd use less antifreeze. Make sure you do the drains so there's some antifreeze in the traps and drain the waste tanks. Also, drain the appliances (ice maker, washer) if you have them.
won't the antifreeze from running the faucets be enough for the traps?

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
yes

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine. Normally, depending on your motorhome, you'd use less antifreeze. Make sure you do the drains so there's some antifreeze in the traps and drain the waste tanks. Also, drain the appliances (ice maker, washer) if you have them.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW