cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Coachmen Cross Country Screen door

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased this RV. The screen door latch to hold it to the exterior door was broken. It became apparent, though, that if the door DID latch to the exterior door, that there is no "release" for the screen and pulling the outer door, doesn't release the screen doors latch thus the broken latch holding it to the outer door.
I've searched the web and find nothing about this.
Surely, somebody else has had this problem????
9 REPLIES 9

staggerlee
Explorer
Explorer
krivanj wrote:
magnetic latch from Home Depot

I agree.
Thats the way I would go.
Those handles are almost worthless, and a weak point in most all campers.

When I get finished making one up I will post photos.
Plans are to remove the slider completely.
Replace with clear plastic

And maybe a drawer pull for a handle on each side
Lee Hubbard๐Ÿ™‚

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
I found on line a place besides Ebay to buy this replacement Attwood Excel Screen door latch. I also found the patent with dwgs of the mechanism and figured out that were the secondary latch not broken, it holds the primary latch out of the strike. SO I can see why it worked so well. I had the broken latch parts and temporaried them back together until the new latch arrives and it works very well.
http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=2651

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
davemilster wrote:
Well SHOOT... How DO I get the pix to link? It said to use the URL which is the link address to snapfish... but it didn't take it... GRRR!... maybe this way you can link to the pix...
www.snapfish.com

Use the "Quote" button to see where I added "url" tags to your link...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer
Well SHOOT... How DO I get the pix to link? It said to use the URL which is the link address to snapfish... but it didn't take it... GRRR!... maybe this way you can link to the pix...
http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/shareereg/p=3625261388092826820/l=5945991023/g=9305560023/cobrandOid=1000/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/otsc=SYE/otsi=SAER/pns/snapfish/share/p=3625261388092826820/l=5945991023/g=9305560023/cobrandOid=1000/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/otsc=SYE/otsi=SAER

davemilster
Explorer
Explorer

If you go to this snapfish link, there are three photos.
If the paddle handle closest to the door "released" the latch when pressed, that could make sense that the screen door would open with the outer door like my palamino puma, but instead this paddle has to be pulled out like another door handle.
Pix 1 shows the screen door handle. to the far right the "catch" is clearly broken off.
2 shows the outer door handle and below it the "hook" that the screen door is supposed to catch.
3 shows the screen door up against the outer door.

Thanks

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 04 Cross Country and if memory serves the screen latches to the outer door when the outer door is standing open. To release it you just have to operate the pull handle on the screen door. Just like you would operate it to open the screen if it were closed. Mine has always worked perfectly. I may have misunderstood your question, but, I think this is what you are asking.

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
magnetic latch from Home Depot
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pictures?

Moved from Forum Technical Support