cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2008 slide out mechanism - will it be a problem?

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Worried about buying a 2008 class C with a slide-out. It's a Winnebago Access 29'. I know only a few manufacturers provided slide-out mechanisms. Was 2008 problematic for the slide-out mech used by Winnebago? Cost to repair these things if they fail?
7 REPLIES 7

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2009 Itasca Cambria presently has a bedroom slide out problem. I have had this issue before. Acts like a weak battery and eventually just won't go out, in is fine. So you ask, how do you know it will go in if it won't go out, well, it goes out in increments then the motor shuts down.
The fix. Remove mattress then plywood cover to expose drive screw and mechanism. Clean,clean,clean the rails of the goop that forms from dust and lubricants ,then spray with silicone or slide lube. Regular grease attracts too much dirt and forms a tacky glue like substance.

The last night of a week long trip, first Chandler Az. for the race then to Flagstaff for a visit, man was it cold. Bedroom slide fails. I'll keep you updated on my findings, maybe it will help the next guy.

To answer the question, slides have been easy to repair but require maintenance.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about today, but a few years ago, the slides were the #1 problem in break downs.

Dusty

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently 2008 was not a good year to buy any rv from what I have read on this forum.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
had an 07 an 11 and now a 2017 (various brands) all with different slide mechanisms (some Hydraulic, some electric and Schwintek). Had problems with all of them.....nature of the beast.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably a rack and pinion system which was well proven by then.
Even in the remote chance a gear, switch or motor fails, they're easy to get parts for and repair.
I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks good info. This is the 2008 WF229T with dining area slide. I'll see if I can find out which mechanism was used.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you know what mechanism was used, or what model in the Access line? My 2004 vintage model 329B (two small slides) used the Kwikee screw-jack mechanism, and it has been eminently reliable over the 13 years I've owned and used it. Because the jack has a slip clutch, it does a pretty good job of protecting itself against misuse (like moving the slide into obstructions_ As far as I know Winnebago kept using the same Kwikee mechanism in the 329B models until the model was discontinued.

But the same mechanism, used in pairs in longer slideouts, has been a problem for some customers, if the two jacks get out of synch so that the slideout gets a bit sideways (e.g. if only one end is obstructed). There is a procedure outlined in the manual for getting the pair working together properly, but not everybody reads the manual or understands the procedure. Second owners and beyond may not even inherit the manual.

I am looking at the brochure for the 2008 Access and do not see a 29-foot model with a slideout, unless it was offered as an option, as it had been in 2007.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B