cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 jeep sahara as toad

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at ordering a 2014 Jeep Sahara to be used as a towed vehicle. Any reviews of this car used in that capacity, would be appreciated.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
23 REPLIES 23

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Modern jeeps come in 3 types per style

Rear wheel drive (Need major work to make 'em towable)
Full time 4 wheel drive with electronic clutches and such (Forget it, no towing allowed)

4 wheel drive with MANUAL transfer case (Like jeeps of old) GO FOR IT all you need to tow these is

1: Tow system (Base plate tow bars)
2: Brake system (Ready brake,, ,comes with ready brute tow bar, Blue Ox auto-stop, US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator,, M&G, lots of options here)
3: Tail light system.. Diodes, add-a-lamp or tow light (magnetic like tow trucks use)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tsjoshua
Explorer
Explorer
My dinghy is a 2003 Wrangler. Easy to pull and fun to drive. I wired the RV lights directly into the jeep so hookup is a breeze.
USN Retired - ETC(SS/SW) - AFT VARIETY

Currently working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard
2017 Georgetown 377, 37'
2003 Jeep Wrangler

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
stardalo wrote:

My only other issue would be, is how my 03 Journey 36DL with a 330hp cat and Allison 3000 would handle the weight. Also, I wonder if i could attach straight to my d-rings on my bumper?

I'm pretty sure your DP could handle the weight, but I'll leave that answer to others who would have a better idea :W

A few of my buddies use their D-ring brackets with some custom adapters. I know poision spyder and few other will make custom brackets too.

Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter Bracket example
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

stardalo
Explorer
Explorer
gone2dadesert wrote:
stardalo wrote:

GREAT JKUR! I have one also and am debating on towing it. where is the tw bar connections? I don't see them in the pic. thanks.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

If you look under the aluminum winch fairlead, you'll see the Currie Tow/skid plate. The two forks work great with the Blue Ox Adventa LX towbar. The Currie Tow/skid plate replaces the factory plastic guard under the front bumper.:W

My only other issue would be, is how my 03 Journey 36DL with a 330hp cat and Allison 3000 would handle the weight. Also, I wonder if i could attach straight to my d-rings on my bumper?

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
stardalo wrote:

GREAT JKUR! I have one also and am debating on towing it. where is the tw bar connections? I don't see them in the pic. thanks.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

If you look under the aluminum winch fairlead, you'll see the Currie Tow/skid plate. The two forks work great with the Blue Ox Adventa LX towbar. The Currie Tow/skid plate replaces the factory plastic guard under the front bumper.:W

2011 Hurricane 31J

stardalo
Explorer
Explorer
gone2dadesert wrote:
xctraveler wrote:
No running boards! They cost ground clearance.

It depends on the runnning boards, mine are Teraflex and my ground clearance is not affected. :C:E

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

4 door wranglers are big and heavy, 5000 pounds or more. Many gassers will be at or over there limit.

FWIW, they are much closer to 4,000lbs than 5,000. Just bought a 2013 4 door wrangler with a hardtop. It is saving me almost 2,000lbs compared to my Suburban.
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
gone2dadesert wrote:
xctraveler wrote:

Hmm, looking at those they won't do a lot for 5'1" arthritic ladies.

My mother fits that description. I must admit that I feel funny parking in a handicap parking space (using her handicap placard) when we go grocery shopping or to one her many dr's appts. Luckily, my Jeep isn't my daily driver. :W

If\when I go to 37" tires (35" tires currently), I will have to carry a step ladder for her. :S

In my case I'm talking about my DW who also drives and this is our only vehicle beside the coach. No way to keep a second car as a full timer.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:

Hmm, looking at those they won't do a lot for 5'1" arthritic ladies.

My mother fits that description. I must admit that I feel funny parking in a handicap parking space (using her handicap placard) when we go grocery shopping or to one her many dr's appts. Luckily, my Jeep isn't my daily driver. :W

If\when I go to 37" tires (35" tires currently), I will have to carry a step ladder for her. :S
2011 Hurricane 31J

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
gone2dadesert wrote:
xctraveler wrote:

It depends on the runnning boards, mine are Teraflex and my ground clearance is not affected. :C:E

Hmm, looking at those they won't do a lot for 5'1" arthritic ladies. But they look nice ๐Ÿ™‚

Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. thanks everyone. Feel more confident about my decision.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:

2011 Hurricane 31J

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bob a buddy of mine on RV.Net (Kix) tows a Rubicon and loves it! Also if your not aware Moab, Utah (Eastern Utah) has a big Jeep shindig every Easter Weekend, last I heard they had over 12,000 Jeeps in town! I was there last September and seen more Jeeps there then, anywhere else I've been too.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a Rubicon! It tows great and is fun to drive, even in town. The only drawback is I have to carry a step for some of our height challenged friends who are no longer totally mobile. No running boards! They cost ground clearance.
Paul
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526