cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Sprinter Based Class C Units

Newsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard from a Winnebago dealer that all new MB 2015 sprinter units are coming standard L2.1 4cyl dual turbo diesel 161hp 265ft/lbs torque (7 speed auto) vs. the previous I6 turbo diesel 188hp 325ft/lbs torque (5 speed auto). In print it sounds like the loss of a LOT of power to push 12,000 pounds around.
We are looking at a 2015 Winnebago 24J View, but if that is what is coming down the pipe I am rethinking my decision...any suggestions or comments?
Maybe the dealer was wrong about the engine??

Thanks for reading and any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated
8 REPLIES 8

tdiidman
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone bought a 2015 Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion with the newly offered 2.1L 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel mated to the 7 speed automatic transmission that is being offered this year as an alternative to the 3.0L cylinder diesel mated to the 5 speed automatic? I am considering purchasing this coach with the 4 cylinder engine but want to see what the 'real world' driving experience has been with it. Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide.

mikebo
Explorer
Explorer
The reason the 4 cylinder engine is getting the positive reviews is that it's mated to a 7 speed transmission, the v6 is only available in the US with the 5 speed. The Mercedes rep at the Winnebago Grand National Rally said the 7 speed is available in Europe with the v6.
Mike

2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2010 CRV toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Either engine is available. Get the V6. I read a post of somebody that drove both (in RVs, not empty vans) and the V6 seems to be the way to go. Try it yourself. The 2015 is a bit bigger than 2014. Same 11,000 GVW. It will be about 15 mpg with the V6. I've got as high at 16 when driving slower than 60.

I use the great manual shifting on the 5 speed transmission for hills.

Link to WGO View Specs
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Is the OM642 V6 an option with Winnebago? I know the 2015 Sprinters, it costs $910 over the OM651 4-cylinder. The reason why the four cylinder is smoother is because of the amount of gears the transmission has for keeping the engine in its top power band. It would be nice to have the OM642 engine as an option for hilly areas.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a older 2007 sprinter . with the I 5 cyc engine , we can run all day long at 65/70 mph with no problems and have power to spare our motorhome wieghs 10.k and gets 20mpg.

elektron
Explorer
Explorer
Newsy wrote:
I have heard from a Winnebago dealer that all new MB 2015 sprinter units are coming standard L2.1 4cyl dual turbo diesel 161hp 265ft/lbs torque (7 speed auto) vs. the previous I6 turbo diesel 188hp 325ft/lbs torque (5 speed auto). In print it sounds like the loss of a LOT of power to push 12,000 pounds around.
We are looking at a 2015 Winnebago 24J View, but if that is what is coming down the pipe I am rethinking my decision...any suggestions or comments?
Maybe the dealer was wrong about the engine??

Thanks for reading and any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated

The "preliminary" web site page shows the 2.1 Liter MB engine as an option, not as a standard. The 2.1 was released with the 2014 Sprinter chassis. Most motorhomes have the chassis built the previous year to the home section. My 2014 Itasca is built on a 2013 Sprinter chassis.

Since these are heavy duty truck engines, as opposed to some other types of engines, I would not hesitate to purchase the 2.1 Liter option since it's 7 speed transmission is likely to provide a significant improvement in fuel mileage. If you want to see the details on the engine, it's on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter web site.

The Daimler-Benz warranty leaves no doubt how well built these truck engines are. As far as performance, I expect there to be negligible differences in performance. That has to do with the transmission.

Diesels produce about 20% plus more usable power over their full operating RPM range than Otto cycle engines(Of the same peak power rating)and so will pull much stronger over the rpm range.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you contact WGO directly and ask them....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our vendors just bought a 2014 Sprinter with the 4cyl.
He had the v6 version.
He said the 4cyl had more power and felt more refined.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY