Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Tiffin Allegro Red - Question

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning.

I have a question for a friend who took delivery of their new 2015 Allegro Red, a 38something...

They say that they have a residential refrigerator that runs on both gas and electric. Can that be right? If so, then there is no helium or ammonia, right? And no need to worry about being level?

Thanks for your replies.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
10 REPLIES 10

jax1911
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 Tiffin Red comes standard with a 2 door residential refrigerator, you can get a 2 door or 4 door gas / electric refrigerator as an option..

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
The brand name of the fridge will answer all.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
I will say again that my 2015 Red has a Dometic four door refrigerator - gas/electric. Just got up and rechecked - Dometic for sure.

Yes, that is a common ABSORPTION TYPE/RV refrigerator.

No relation to a residential which has a compressor.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say again that my 2015 Red has a Dometic four door refrigerator - gas/electric. Just got up and rechecked - Dometic for sure.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly many RV salespeople have no understanding of the product they wish to sell. My 2015 Allegro Red 38QRA has the residential refrigerator, and to supply power it has the larger inverter and a few extra batteries. I believe this was the option, the standard is the RV propane/electric refrigerator. I have found in my short few months with my new RV that Tiffin is a very responsive company. If you e-mail customer support with your vin# they will be able to answer your questions.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is NO residential that runs on LP and 120. They are 120 ONLY.
Tiffin RED models have 3 different refers and options depending on the floorplan
1. Residential
2. 2 Door RV absorbsion refer (120/LP)
3. 4 door absorbsion Norcold that is LP/120
Some of the RED's come with Residential as standard with the 4 door Norcold as an Option. Doug

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Red comes standard with the conventional RV style propane/120VAC fridge. There is the option for a true residential 120VAC only fridge but since they described it as running off both gas and electric I would suspect they have a RV fridge with ammonia based cooling.

Ask your friend where is the freezer? Top or bottom of the fridge? Top = RV fridge, bottom = residential. I think because of how an ammonia base cooling works a bottom freezer isn't possible.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mitch,

There was a company called Servel (I think) which produced 120 volt ammonia cycle fridges. They could also be powered by propane but weight a ton. I doubt that they ever made an RV model.

Perhaps it is a residential fridge with a propane generator?

All "heat cycle" (i.e. no compressor) fridges use some sort of combination of gases (hydrogen or helium).

There are peltier solid state cooling plates that can cool about 20 degrees lower than the ambient. They are often 12 volt and consume lots of power. In theory one could "cascade" them to get down to temperatures, but it would be Tres expensive.

mitch5252 wrote:
Good morning.

I have a question for a friend who took delivery of their new 2015 Allegro Red, a 38something...

They say that they have a residential refrigerator that runs on both gas and electric. Can that be right? If so, then there is no helium or ammonia, right? And no need to worry about being level?

Thanks for your replies.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Tiffin Allegro refer with a four door Dometic fridge, It LOOKS similar to a residential fridge but is shallower. It runs off a 110 or propane. A true residential fridge runs only off some source of electrical power including batteries. I think Tiffin uses a lot of Westinghouse fridges for residential models. Better check again........

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of a residential refrigerator operating on gas or electric. Shore power, generator or inverter-- yes.

Ask him what brand and model.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/