cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22x47 solar panels on intervec falcon roof

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone installed solar panels on the roof of their intervec falcon?

I am looking to install one 100w 47"x21.3" panel, with option to add one more later.
I am debating whether to install behind the AC unit, sideways, or in front of the AC unit.

If I install behind the AC unit:
pros:
- minimal wind drag when driving as it sits behind the AC unit

cons:
- takes up some space on the rear roof where I could otherwise go up and sit to watch a sunset or the likes... with one panel, I still have enough room to sit up there but if I later add a second panel it would take up the whole space.

If I install in front of the AC unit:
pros:
- no used up space in the rear section, so I can use rear for sitting and/or carrying some light loads

cons:
- may make wind noise or create drag; could be hit with debris.

other option is one up front and later on one behind.

Anyone has done this before that knows other pros/cons or preferences?

Thanks!
- Tony

1990 Ford E250 Intervec Falcon @midvancrisis
_
14 REPLIES 14

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
What a great looking installation!! tev123 you keep bringing back so many great memories we made in our Intervec years ago. It was absolutely about our favorite RV over the years.

Paul

Thank you.
Here she is eating just as her food is about to fade...
- Tony

_

gcvt
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
TOMMY47, I installed a Renogy 100 watt panel by the conventional method (mounting brackets, drill into roof, etc.). A few months later, I installed a Renogy flexible 100 watt panel using the 3M tape discussed above which auto companies use to install mirrors, etc.

I then took an amp output meter to each panel and took a reading. Then, a voltmeter for voltage. The results: virtually identical readings. I hooked the two panels together and used them all last year to keep the batteries up when boondocking for weeks at a time. All I know is it worked fine for me. Others may have not had as good an outcome, but I am super happy.

Incidentally, tev 123, we owned an Intervec Horizon for many years. It is the little brother to the Falcon and we had a blast. I think it would be great to have a Falcon and fix it up, a project I would really enjoy.

Paul

Just FYI:

Renogy recall - fire hazard

Renogy's page
2003 Ford E250 Sportsmobile EB10

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
What a great looking installation!! tev123 you keep bringing back so many great memories we made in our Intervec years ago. It was absolutely about our favorite RV over the years.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler7 wrote:
Looks great! How did you attach the brackets to the roof?

thanks
with the supplied screws plus dicor under the brackets and all over them.
if I need to replace a panel I can unscrew it from the brackets, but they are pretty permanently installed as they are.
- Tony

_

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great! How did you attach the brackets to the roof?
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

tev123
Explorer
Explorer
panels installed over the weekend

album
- Tony

_

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
PSW---Thanks--I figured they were equal.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47, I installed a Renogy 100 watt panel by the conventional method (mounting brackets, drill into roof, etc.). A few months later, I installed a Renogy flexible 100 watt panel using the 3M tape discussed above which auto companies use to install mirrors, etc.

I then took an amp output meter to each panel and took a reading. Then, a voltmeter for voltage. The results: virtually identical readings. I hooked the two panels together and used them all last year to keep the batteries up when boondocking for weeks at a time. All I know is it worked fine for me. Others may have not had as good an outcome, but I am super happy.

Incidentally, tev 123, we owned an Intervec Horizon for many years. It is the little brother to the Falcon and we had a blast. I think it would be great to have a Falcon and fix it up, a project I would really enjoy.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Enox--give a link if one exists.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Esox---Who says they are not good performers? Haven't been able to find that anywhere.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Flexible panels are not good performers. Don't worry about drag from solar panels, it is minimal. Plan the location of your panels where they will get the least shade from other roof appurtenances.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
You can get flexible 100 watt panels on ebay. I installed it on the roof of a conversion van. Used the strongest adhesive tape sold and sealed it around the edges. No drilling or wind drag. A little more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest making up a portable frame out of 3/4 inch pvc then you can put the panel anywhere and not worry about the roof.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin