cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 Birds need to duck because..

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
I need to knock them out in just one post;)

Hi All, Happy Memorial Day!

I know i should open my manual book up but i'd rather post to you all here about 3, maybe even 4, things going on now.

My 1998 Class A Holiday Rambler Endeavor thermostat, well it seems to be hitting and missing when i initially turn it on, but thats not my question. It says there is a "zone 1" making me think there might be another zone i'm not getting a reading on where the cool air doesn't seem to be as strong in the back bedroom, nor do i hear that back ceiling vent kicking in?? Whats going on??

My battery that came with the RV isnt holding a charge anymore, whats the worst problem going on here but since it doesn't look new, should i just go out a buy another one anyway or get a diagnostic check some place other than CW since they are so back up??

And now even thou Camping World's website says The Splendide 2100XC isn't in stock, i called them and they said it would be in stock this past Friday but they are seriously backed up, for me to expect a long wait for them to get to me in installing it or doing any work, and especially if i have 2 other things needed to be done, for minus the thermostat question, i didn't mention i need my toilet gasket replaced, as well? I'm a Fulltimer, so that not possible.

Sorry if my post isn't clear, nor is my head & chest right now,,, hack, hack!:(

So along with whats going on with my thermostat, what are my options??

TIA!!!
Full Time, Tree Huggn, Vegan Athlete living on, a shovel of dirt shy of, an acre of land
2007 Toyota Prius
1998 Holiday Rambler Holiday Endeavor 35WGS

:CTime waits for no one
13 REPLIES 13

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'll go out on a limb and assume the A/C system is new to you, and that you do have two A/C units on the roof. You do have to select the Zone 2 by simultaneously pressing the top two buttons on the thermostat. This brings up the information for the bedroom A/C. You can then set the mode (Fan, Cool, Heat Pump, Furnace,or Off)and the temperature desired. The bedroom unit will operate then according to what you have set. If bedroom unit is not on you will still feel some air coming from the bedroom ceiling registers but this is only what can be supplied by the front (Zone 1) unit. Hope this helps.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
bhivetravels wrote:
NaViDa wrote:
bhivetravels wrote:
Let them install the W/D -- warranty, weight, water all good reasons to let them do it. Plus their install rates are just too cheap to pass up.

Hi, right, they only charge $40 for the installation, so i can wait a day for it but if i have to wait longer by staying at The M or South Point Hotels near where they are located and i actually live near, as well, (everything is within a 3 mile radius) it'll start to run over $100 since getting a room there will cost me too, thanks!

Many CW places have an agreement with a local campground and put you in the campground overnight. That's what we do, pull in the slides give the coach to to CW drive around for the day or if the park has a pool head to it, then back to CW and pickup the coach for the night again!

Sorry for the late reply,,,,, yeah, i just dont want to be told more than once to give them another day, but i could go to my 24hr gym and do other things that day to keep myself busy, but i need a place to sleep at night, so i'll need it back by then, if not, i'll be at The M Hotel for a day. I really want this unit washer now, so i'm excited about getting this going without it turning into a PITA:)

thanks for the advice!
Full Time, Tree Huggn, Vegan Athlete living on, a shovel of dirt shy of, an acre of land
2007 Toyota Prius

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
NaViDa wrote:
bhivetravels wrote:
Let them install the W/D -- warranty, weight, water all good reasons to let them do it. Plus their install rates are just too cheap to pass up.

Hi, right, they only charge $40 for the installation, so i can wait a day for it but if i have to wait longer by staying at The M or South Point Hotels near where they are located and i actually live near, as well, (everything is within a 3 mile radius) it'll start to run over $100 since getting a room there will cost me too, thanks!

Many CW places have an agreement with a local campground and put you in the campground overnight. That's what we do, pull in the slides give the coach to to CW drive around for the day or if the park has a pool head to it, then back to CW and pickup the coach for the night again!
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
liveneasy wrote:
I'm going to assume that your '98 HR Endeavor has the Duo-Therm 4 button comfort control center. These have become quite problematic as they age. Mine, thankfully, has only required intermittent cleaning of the contacts to keep it working. You can view or download a copy of the service manual and trouble shooting guide from Bryant RV by clicking on the link. The first couple of times mine acted up I picked up some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack, removed the thermostat from the wall and it's plastic case and hit the switches with a couple of blasts of spray cleaner. The last time it needed cleaning I disassembled the switches and gave them a good cleaning... and it's still working fine. The manual will give you a great overview of the thermostats operation and I'm sure you will be able to figure out how to find/display your 'Zone 2' settings.

If you have the 5 button thermostat that manual is available Here but it's not as complete as the 4 button version.

You didn't mention what type/model of toilet you have... but replacement of the seal is usually pretty straight forward and parts are generally available online or from CW. I picked up my last set of seals on ebay and saved quite a bit. Do a bit of searching online and you'll probably find 'How to' information and maybe even a video or two. The last seal replacement I did took about an hour but that included a dumping and rinsing the tank and a complete cleaning of the toilet. A 'Yucky' job to be sure but it's doable.

On Edit: If you have a Sealand toilet, HR used them for a number of years, you can find a manual Here and a 'How to' video Here

Hi, its a 4 button version and Thetford toilet, i certainly prefer DIY, hopefully this'll be easier than i thought after all, thank you!
2007 Toyota Prius

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
There's some additional info on the duo-therm 4 button thermostat at the link below:

Duo-Therm Thermostat info

Fred

hmmmmm??? that looks complicated but if i was able to repair my broken HP laptop i'd had dropped and destroyed the screen, i should be able to do this, as well, thank you!
2007 Toyota Prius

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
On a 1998 you are due for your 2nd (At least) battery change so I'd do the following.

First, all the wires attached to the POSITIVE battery terminal, Wrap them up in red ribbon and tie them together.. Use black thread on the negative (if more than one wire) and then pull the batteries and take them to a battery store for testing.. Or just replace them.. I like Golf car battteries my curent ones are DEKA my Interstates lasted 10 years, TROAN are considered best.

On the rest of it.. No comment save "When changing batteries it never hurts to have the charging system checked as well".

We have Battery Plus here that helped me finally change out my 7 year old 12V i'd had in my 2007 Prius. The manager had never changed one in a Hybrid and its in the back trunk, he had issues doing it where i had to help him, a female, by climbing into the trunk, that caused for a lot of gawking:) My help got me free installation:)

Anyway, i for sure will check into what your recommended, especially the charging system,, thank you!
2007 Toyota Prius

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
bhivetravels wrote:

2007 Toyota Prius

NaViDa
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
You probably need a new battery. Is it the chassis battery or the house batteries?

Can you take it to a Autozone or other car parts store? They can check it for you.

Are you in a position to call a mobile RV Tech to do the work for you?

Changing a toilet gasket isn't a big job. The thermostat issue may be more involved.
I would get the battery problem corrected first.

Happy Memorial Day and enjoy your travels.

Hi, yes, i can take it to a place like that but i'll also check into a mobile RV tech, as well, thank you!
2007 Toyota Prius

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
There's some additional info on the duo-therm 4 button thermostat at the link below:

Duo-Therm Thermostat info

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

liveneasy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to assume that your '98 HR Endeavor has the Duo-Therm 4 button comfort control center. These have become quite problematic as they age. Mine, thankfully, has only required intermittent cleaning of the contacts to keep it working. You can view or download a copy of the service manual and trouble shooting guide from Bryant RV by clicking on the link. The first couple of times mine acted up I picked up some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack, removed the thermostat from the wall and it's plastic case and hit the switches with a couple of blasts of spray cleaner. The last time it needed cleaning I disassembled the switches and gave them a good cleaning... and it's still working fine. The manual will give you a great overview of the thermostats operation and I'm sure you will be able to figure out how to find/display your 'Zone 2' settings.

If you have the 5 button thermostat that manual is available Here but it's not as complete as the 4 button version.

You didn't mention what type/model of toilet you have... but replacement of the seal is usually pretty straight forward and parts are generally available online or from CW. I picked up my last set of seals on ebay and saved quite a bit. Do a bit of searching online and you'll probably find 'How to' information and maybe even a video or two. The last seal replacement I did took about an hour but that included a dumping and rinsing the tank and a complete cleaning of the toilet. A 'Yucky' job to be sure but it's doable.

On Edit: If you have a Sealand toilet, HR used them for a number of years, you can find a manual Here and a 'How to' video Here
Greg
'96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP/'03 4wd tracker
Datastorm F1/D2/7000/on SatMx5
See where I am today

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a 1998 you are due for your 2nd (At least) battery change so I'd do the following.

First, all the wires attached to the POSITIVE battery terminal, Wrap them up in red ribbon and tie them together.. Use black thread on the negative (if more than one wire) and then pull the batteries and take them to a battery store for testing.. Or just replace them.. I like Golf car battteries my curent ones are DEKA my Interstates lasted 10 years, TROAN are considered best.

On the rest of it.. No comment save "When changing batteries it never hurts to have the charging system checked as well".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You probably need a new battery. Is it the chassis battery or the house batteries?

Can you take it to a Autozone or other car parts store? They can check it for you.

Are you in a position to call a mobile RV Tech to do the work for you?

Changing a toilet gasket isn't a big job. The thermostat issue may be more involved.
I would get the battery problem corrected first.

Happy Memorial Day and enjoy your travels.