cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 amp plug

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Tioga 31M. The box to which the 30 amp shore cord is connected also has a 31 amp, female plug. I read on another forum that when not connected to shore power, and when on generator, one would connect the male end of the shore power cord to the female plug. Is this different on most coaches? On mine, when off shore power and I turn on the generator, everything works, including ac, without having to plug the cord into the aforementioned plug. Can someone shed some light on this? Thx.
7 REPLIES 7

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine wrote:
I read on another forum that when not connected to shore power, and when on generator, one would connect the male end of the shore power cord to the female plug. Is this different on most coaches? .

I think they were talking about the old non-transfer switch type of hookup. disregard.
bumpy

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Now you can allow your buddy with a trailer(no generator) to plug into your power connector.

Or if the transfer switch fails maybe the connector would still get you power.
(and maybe not depending on the fault)

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
After reading further on this forum on the topic of the automatic transfer switch, it appears that my motorhome does have that, since the generator supplies power automatically. My only question now would be, if that is so, of what use is the female receptable for, if there is no need to plug anything in there? Could it be that it was left over from before it had the automatic transfer switch installed?

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
You have an automatic transfer switch either from the factory or modification made. Some coaches don't have that feature and hench plugging in generator manually

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
JNorton wrote:
Originally my 31W used the same socket to provide generator power. I have since modified it with a transfer relay. Perhaps someone did the same to yours.

Seems to be the most logical answer
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that is probably the same as my first motorhome that did not include a transfer switch. you merely plugged the cord into the generator outlet, and when in a campground, unplug it and plug into the campground source.
bumpy

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
Originally my 31W used the same socket to provide generator power. I have since modified it with a transfer relay. Perhaps someone did the same to yours.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10