Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp rv

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
First time rv owner
Have reserved a few stops at rv camps for Spring. Just wondering, do I need to request a 30 amp hook up when they offer both 30 and 50 amp hook ups? You can see I am a rookie.

Thanks,
Mike
17 REPLIES 17

Valbego
Explorer
Explorer
I have had similar instances where some pedestals had corrosion, wiring issues, water intrusion, etc. at the campground. I do the same thing David and Dayle do. I carry a circuit tester, 30 amp and 50 amp adapters in my RV setup kit. This way I can test the pedestal before hooking up my rig to it. Circuit analyzers/monitors are good too to protect rig from surges and frequency changes that could upset some electronic components.

As far as 50 amp vs. 30 amp pedestals. To be absolutely confident that damage won't be incurred using the 50 amp pedestal on your 30 amp rig you should know the construction of the electrical system. I have a 30 amp rig. There are 2 40 amp fuses in my power panel to protect from surges. Amps is the flow of electricity, so when flow increases, so does heat and that is what melts the fuse and breaks the contact. The wire size plays a part in this...the smaller the diameter of the wire the more heat can be produces because of increased resistance. Take a look at some basic electricity you tube videos to help understand. I am an aviation mechanic who works on electrical systems and not a certified licensed home electrician--FYI.
Happy Rving,

Valbego

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
I do one more step. I have a circuit tester that plugs in to a 15 amp socket and tells me about open or reversed poles. After I plug the RV in, I use the tester on one of the outside sockets of the RV. On mine, I should get 2 orange lights.
The really cautious may want to test the campground socket (with the adapter) before plugging in.
David and Dayle

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all that took the time to reply and give me all I needed.
Thanks!

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

warrantyblues
Explorer
Explorer
Typical home outlets are either 15 or 20 amp. I plug our 30 amp service into a 20 amp outlet with an adapter.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just tell the park you are 30 amp. You can also tell them you are a new RVer and ask for assistance with your hookup. Most places will be willing to give you a hand. Also your new neighbor will offer help if you ask.
Your Rig is set up for 30 amp,so just plug into the 30 amp socket. The plugs are different so you can easily spot the correct socket. Always flip off the shore power circuit breaker before plugging in...shock protection. Then flip the breaker back on. It is not a bad idea to pick up a household type plug adapter (20amp), you can put it between the 30amp plug and a standard household socket. Nice to have when visiting friends if you want to tap into the garage or backyard power. With the lower amps you will have to restrict your power usage...no a/c, no microwave, but you can use lights and coffee pot and stuff.
Don't feel shy about asking fellow campers for assistance. For the most part we are a friendly bunch.
Happy Trails.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
In many parks, you'll have the option of either a 30 amp pedestal or a 50 amp pedestal. Typically, the 50 amp service might run a few bucks more. If you reserve and pay for 30 amp service, your 30 amp plug should be able to plug directly in. On a 50 amp pedestal, some of them offer both 50 and 30 amp sockets, and others just 50 amp. If you wind up in a site with just 50 amp service at the pedestal, you'll need an adapter in order to plug in your 30 amp cord.

Here is a typical 30 amp receptacle:

And here is a 50 amp receptacle:

If you need to hook up to a 50 amp pedestal with your 30 amp plug, you'll need one of these:
50amp male to 30amp female adapter

Jim

Either 30 or 50 receptacles will fit those boxes, it's just a matter of what parts were used.

We had a trailer that was 30 amp power, when we upgraded to the Newmar we simply removed the 30 amp receptacle added a 50 amp receptacle and hooked up the third wire.

It's been a long time since we have seen a camp ground that did not have both in the same box on the post as well as a 120 volt 25 amp circuit.
But.. I do carry all the adaptors
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
roadrat57 wrote:
Roadrat here.
Thanks for the suggestions.
So with a 50 amp adapter I can connect my 30 amp rv system, if I want, without damaging my rv electrical system? By the way, how many amps does a typical home outlet put out? I have my rig plugged into my home outlet using a heavy duty extension cord and an adapter for the 30 amp rv .
Thanks

You can use a 50 amp adapter and it's actually better when running something like the ac because you actually have a heavier gauge wire providing the power. A 50 amp set up is two 50 amp legs and a neutral and ground. When you adapt to it your are then running on a heavier gauge wire. A very worthwhile accessory is a Progressive Industries electrical system protector. I installed the onboard model so it's not out at the pedestal.

Home circuits are 15 or 20 amp depending on wire gauge. It's fine running on the extension cord but I wouldn't run the heavy appliances like ac, micro, hair dryer etc.

Again, just remember if you ever have a receptacle installed out in your garage or wherever, be sure it's 120 volts and not 240.

Supposed electrician wired a box with 240 on the pole at my sons hunt camp and blew his converter. Son replaced the converter and supposed elec guy rewired the box. My son said his rig was doing weird stuff and I went up and looked at the wiring and it had reversed polarity.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just tell them you have a 30 amp RV and they will put you where you need to be.

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Roadrat here.
Thanks for the suggestions.
So with a 50 amp adapter I can connect my 30 amp rv system, if I want, without damaging my rv electrical system? By the way, how many amps does a typical home outlet put out? I have my rig plugged into my home outlet using a heavy duty extension cord and an adapter for the 30 amp rv .
Thanks

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
ALSO, if you do any home wiring for an rv receptacle or have anyone, even an electrician do it, DONT wire it 240 volts. It happens even with electricians.

Most of the places I have stayed had all 3 sources in the pedestal. I have a 30 amp rig and the pedestal I'm connected to has a broken 30 amp breaker. You want coverage.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
In ten years of RVing I've encountered maybe a half dozen parks where a site with 50 amp service had a different daily rate from a site with 30 amp. In these cases, I'll ask for the 30 amp sits.

Otherwise, where 50 amp is available, the electrical service box usually includes 30 amp and 15 amp or 20 amp outlets as well.

Only once have I been put in a site that had only a 50 amp and 15 or 20 amp connectors, no RV 30 amp. However, I've been put in sites where the 30 amp socket had corrosion problems, and the 50 amp socket was in better shape. I find it helps to have that 50->30 dogbone adapter with me, to deal with bad outlets and the occasional 50-only site.

It us much more likely that you'll encounter sites with 30 combined with a 15 or 20 duplex, particularly in older RV parks and many public campgrounds.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the RV parks in this part of the country have both 50 and 30 amp service on the same pedestal. A reducer from 50 to 30 may come in handy. We never state our service requirement upon reservation or check in.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
In many parks, you'll have the option of either a 30 amp pedestal or a 50 amp pedestal. Typically, the 50 amp service might run a few bucks more. If you reserve and pay for 30 amp service, your 30 amp plug should be able to plug directly in. On a 50 amp pedestal, some of them offer both 50 and 30 amp sockets, and others just 50 amp. If you wind up in a site with just 50 amp service at the pedestal, you'll need an adapter in order to plug in your 30 amp cord.

Here is a typical 30 amp receptacle:

And here is a 50 amp receptacle:

If you need to hook up to a 50 amp pedestal with your 30 amp plug, you'll need one of these:
50amp male to 30amp female adapter

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)