cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp voltage

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound like a dumb question, but here goes anyway.
We are on our way to pick up our new Class C Coachmen Concord. At our home we are having a 30 amp plug put in to replace the 50 amp one we have now. My question is what is the voltage that is needed. Apparently there is 30 amp receptacles with either 125 or 250 voltage. I may have to wait til I get to the dealership to ask them. I did not know that there would be different voltages to chose from.
Thanks,
Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
12 REPLIES 12

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 50A circuit CAN provide 250V, and there are a VERY FEW big 50A rigs that use it.

But that is NOT THE NORM! For nearly all 50A coaches, that system is TWO 125V/50A circuits. Your coach uses ONE 125V/30A circuit. That "A-Dapter" (I can't help quoting Johnny Cash) uses ONE of those 50A/125V circuits for you to plug your 125/30 into. The other 125/50 "Leg" is unused.

And YES it is safe to do this. 50A will not over-pump your electrical system since your coach's on board power panel's main breaker is 30A.

What's NOT safe is applying 250V to a 125V system, and the posts above have covered that.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JANETRUPP wrote:
Thanks all. I needed to know since the person replacing the 50 amp to a 30 amp wasn't sure if I needed the 30 amp that was 125 or 250 volt and the motorhome is not at the house yet, We are still on the road to get her.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help. This forum has always been a great help to me.
Janet

I'd be a little nervous using an electrician who didn't know that 30amp RV's are 120v.

It's possible he's competent and just never seen an RV but it doesn't leave me feeling comfortable if he's asking such a basic question.

As others have said, leave the 50amp outlet and use an adapter. It will save you money and leave you with a more capable outlet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I needed to know since the person replacing the 50 amp to a 30 amp wasn't sure if I needed the 30 amp that was 125 or 250 volt and the motorhome is not at the house yet, We are still on the road to get her.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help. This forum has always been a great help to me.
Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
JimmyRV wrote:
Use the adapter. If you ever sell the house, an rv savy buyer would take a 50 amp over a 30 any day. Keep the 50!

This is also what I would do. Cheaper and less hassle.

JimmyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Use the adapter. If you ever sell the house, an rv savy buyer would take a 50 amp over a 30 any day. Keep the 50!
2016 Coachmen Prism 24G

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
ALL good/correct answers!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
You also could have the electrician wire the 30 Amp as above parallel, next to the 50 Amp and have both in case you go back to 50 Amp.

LEN

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If you don't want to rewire the outlet, an adapter would work fine. First confirm that it is indeed providing ground, neutral, L1 and L2 conductors. With a meter test 120 Volts from neutral and ground to L1 and L2. Then confirm that there is 220 present between L1 and L2. If not, then the 50 Amp outlet is single phase. Keep in mind that the 220v 50 Amp to 120 Volt 30 Amp adapter only taps into the L1 phase and the overcurrent protection is still 50 Amps. If this is going to be a long term setup, I would rewire it in this fashion: Replace the 50 Amp outlet with a 30 Amp RV type. Spare the L2 conductor at both ends. Remove the 50 Amp dual breaker and replace with a 30 Amp circuit breaker in either of the now vacant positions. The remaining position now can be used for another dedicated circuit. An adapter is quick and dirty, but long term an outlet wired to code is the best.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what you should have for the RV 30A Shore Power Cable to plug into...

NO SHOCK ZONE image

This will be wired just like the 120VAC 15A-20A Receptacles but will be fed with a 30A Circuit Breaker...

You MUST tell the Electrician this is being wired for a RV Trailer setup and not a 240VAC Circuit for a 240VAC Home Dryer appliance...

NOTE these two 3-socket receptacles that look very similar. The one on the LEFT is for the 120VAC RV setup and the one on the RIGHT is for the 240VAC Dryer setup.

NO SHOCK ZONE Image

Forcing your RV Shore power cable into the receptacle on the right will destroy many 120VAC Appliances and system in your RV in a instance. This is a very good reason to use a licensed Electrician that has Insurance to cover these loses... you are talking about a few thousand dollars going up in BLUE SMOKE at the snap of a finger...

I am only passing this on for your education of the difference between the two very similar receptacles for two different system. I am NO EXPERT in any of this. Consult the Licensed Electrical Experts if you have questions...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
In the RV world there is only one connector for 30 amp RVs: NEMA 30TT at 125 volts.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

250v is for some other appliance such as clothes dryer or welder.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your 30A RV uses 120V AC

No need to replace the 50A with 30A just buy a 50A to 30A adapter.
Plug it into the 50A outlet and then plug your 30A RV cord into it
Will only supply one hot leg that your 30A RV uses.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You nee a NEMA 30TT receptacle. It is 120 volts.
If you have a 120/240 four wire receptacle already there, why not just get a 50-30 adapter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker