cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 ft- one roof air sufficient?

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of buying a 30 ft. Class A. It has one roof air conditioner. I think is a 1355 BTU. I haven't seen it. The owner lives in Arizona. He says it does ok when in the high 90s. He doesn't the HK ts wired for 2 air conditioners. Is it a mistake getting this? It's a pretty good deal and the exact floor plan we like.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad
61 REPLIES 61

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
This isn't going to be helpful, but my answer is, "It Depends". It will depend on where you camp and how well the coach is insulated. My last fifth wheel had one A/C unit and it did well, even in full sun in Florida. I purchased a new coach that was about five feet longer and had two more slides than the first one and elected not to get a second AC unit.

Our first summer trip was to a campground in the Florida Panhandle. We were in full sun and it was close to 100 degrees. When I set the coach up, the interior temperature pegged the thermometer. We left and went to dinner and were gone more than an hour. When we returned the thermometer was still almost pegged. The coach didn't cool off enough for the AC to cycle until around 5:00 a.am. the next morning.

The AC could only keep the coach about 15-20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. We purchased a second AC unit as soon as we got back home. I don't usually use both, but it's nice to have it available when it gets really hot.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
NO,NO,and NO! One AC will not work! Especially south of I-80! Maybe I-90!
Especially this summer.it has been hot clear into MT.
I would not accept any thing less than 50 amp and two,airs.
We have three 13.5's and here in N. TX. They are borderline.
40' Winnebago 40U . IMHO.

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
It depends. If you don't mind inside temps around 80 in the summer heat of the south then 1 unit may be fine. I had a 30 footer. I added an additional AC and converted to 50 amp. One unit did not cut it.
Mark

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Maddawg46,

I agree with most here that it's really pushing the cooling with just one air.

But, don't be discouraged. You can buy a portable stand alone air unit for those sunny no shade days. If everything else is good with the unit, you still have options of staying cool that really won't cost that much.

Even if the one unit is sufficient, I would still want two units as Murphy's Law will guarantee that the ONE will go out when you need it most.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to dougrainer, I think 13500 btu a little small myself. A buddy of mine who had owned several rv's before I bought one told me to make sure whatever I bought ,that it had two ac,s in it. I did what he said and have not regretted it . I am 33 feet. Use it in Texas .

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 33 foot mh with 1 a/c. We camped for 2 months in Branson Mo in July and August where temps rarely went below 100 in July and finally dropped into the 80's in August. We were quite comfortable during that time. Fortunately, we were in the shade most of the day.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Parked in the shade it will most likely be sufficient, in full sun maybe not.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on where you go with it it may do OK or it may struggle. Mine has a hard time in direct sun in 100deg weather. Now if I parked it under a tree in he same type of temps, then it works just fine and will even cycle on/off.

If you camp where there are a lot of trees you'll be fine. If you camp in the desert, you won't be happy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
You will be light on cooling for my taste. I had a 36' with two that could have used more cooling sometimes. Unfortunately smaller coach's also tend to be insulated not so great.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is; it depends. Ours only has one rooftop air. It's a 15k unit. "usually" it's enough. Camped it's not really an issue. Once a few years ago we were at VA beach and daytime temps crept up to 100 and we were in full sun. It would not keep up that day, but as the day waned it cooled it back down. Travelling in those temps is also another story. You add road heat, engine and transmission heat and in 90+ degrees it won't keep up. I would prefer 2 rooftop airs and if this is a tipping point in your decision go with a coach that has two. It wasn't that critical for us and hasn't been a big deal, and the coach we wanted only had one so that's what we got. We are happy, but if you plan on travelling often in 90+ temps it may not work for you. If you are a weekender with small trips it will be fine 95% of the time. It will never be an issue when the sun goes down which is when we spend the majority of the time in our coach. The rest of the time we are out doing stuff and don't keep pets in the rv, so frankly we don't care that much. But in full sun on a hot day or travelling in a hot day, no it won't keep up. It's up to you to determine if you will be in those conditions and how often.
2013 ACE 29.2

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where you're at. In Texas it won't be enough once the temps are in the mid 90s and humidity is at 75%. We have a 40' with two air conditioners and have seriously considering adding a third AC. We have one original 13.5K and the other has been replaced by a 15K unit. One AC in a unit that size will be a challenge anywhere from Georgia across to New Mexico.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NO, in temps above 90 degrees, 1 AC especially a 13.5k will NOT cool that RV comfortably, even if ducted. If NOT ducted, then hell no. When people ask this type question, go to the RV on a 90 plus day. Stay in the RV for a few hours after 2pm and go in and out a few times. THAT will answer your question. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
How is the ducting set up and can you close off the bedroom during the day?

Ours is a 28' 5th wheel so not too different in size.
- In temps below the upper 80's, we just run it using the ducts.
- By the time we hit the 90's, we close off the bedroom and shift the ducts so it blows into the main living area and that keeps it cool up to the low 100's.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 31 ft with 30 amp so could only run one air at a time. Did OK in Texas heat but it also did not have slides.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 31 footer many years ago and it did just great. Had trouble with it cooling when I was in the Southwest in July in 100* + weather. Good Luck and enjoy your new coach.