cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30A Male to two 15A Female Y Adapter - where is it...?

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the middle of a complete re-design on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 conversion/camper van. As part of my "onboard supplies" I need an adapter that allows me to plug in at a campsite's 30A service and turn it into two 15A outlets.

It's a yellow, marine grade, "Y" adapter. I had one in the past but don't remember if I lent it to someone and never got it back, or what the heck happened.

In any event, I found a 30A to THREE 15A - but it's a high-end Marinco item and costs $91.

I thought there was one about half that price, but I can't find it anywhere.

Yes, I do have the normal little black 30A adapter (30 to 15) but that creates a plug for only one extension cord and sometimes you need more juice.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might know what site or store to check.
28 REPLIES 28

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, each outlet is rated 15 amps - but - you can't add the outlets together to come up to 30 amps.

Link: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|299260|319692&id=1563668

You're limited to 15 amps total. Call Marinco toll free 800.307.6702 and ask.

Additionally it has a twist lock type plug so it won't work with the 30 amp receptacle in an RV park.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Markopolo - the "product description" you mention does say that - but the actual electrical specs on this cord indicate that each female plug is capable of 15A.

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Rex Roamer wrote:
........ I need an adapter that allows me to plug in at a campsite's 30A service and turn it into two 15A outlets..........

The Marinco Shore Power Adapter that you linked to does not do that. It only provides 15 amps from the the 30 amp outlet. Yes, you get multiple outlets but you are still limited to 15 amps in total. It says so right on the link.

Total load of attached tools must not exceed 15 amperes at 120 volts RMS, 60 Hertz or 1800 watts.

So, you are only getting 15 amps to your van anyway.

If you are just trying to split the 30 amp outlet into multiple outlets then a 30a to 15a adapter and a 2 or 3 outlet tap will do that but you leave yourself open to overloading the extension cords and any attached appliances because you're missing 15 amp circuit breaker(s) in the setup.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Bumpyroad - I'm sure it would be pretty easy for someone with electrical skills. But just plugging into 30A shore power and then having the three 15A female plugs for my extension cords is really what I'm looking for - no wiring needed on my end.

I actually emailed the supplier of the Marinco cord - asked if they would give me a discount if I paid by check. We'll see what happens.

The Marinco not only offers three 15A outlets so I can take advantage of the full 30A hook-up, it's also GFCI - so I guess you DO get what you pay for.

I've invested about eight hours of research time now - think it's time to just buy the $91 item since it really does do exactly what I'm looking for.

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
NMace - can you provide a link...? I spent about an hour on Camping World's site and found no 30A male to two 15A female.

Much appreciated if you can direct me to the product listing.

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World has them online and in the store, about $30.00 I think.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
would be a simple job to make one with one 30 amp plug, a 20 amp duplex outlet and aluminum waterproof box.
bumpy

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding generator cords - yes, these often pop up when searching for RV cords, but they have a different "twistlock" plug.

It's a bear to find adapters that are "female" for the generator and "male" for the campground - but if anyone has seen one, by all means, let me know.

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
BillMFI - can you provide a link to the 4 gang box you're talking about...? I just wonder what kind of wiring this would entail.

The reason I like the Marinco (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|299260|319692&id=1563668) is that it appears very safe to me. And I have two cords for inside and one for outside.

Like I say - it's a great cord, no doubt. Was just hoping for something a little less pricey.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I take the 30amp power cord into my Van and plug a 4 gang GFI box into it. The GFI box gives me four 110vac outlets that I plug my Micro, fridge, tv, light and window ac into as needed. The same 4 gang box can also plug into my 900watt inverter when boondocking (not for window ac tho). Not a perfect system but works well for me. Usually there are 15amp outlets at most camgrounds which I prefer, but sometimes I have to use the 30.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
I have just the 30->15 amp $5 converter. I always worry about leaving it in the camp outlet. But I think (if I understand correctly) you want a 30amp that splits to more than 1 - 15 amp so here is one for $22 Conntek 1.5-Feet 30-Amp Tri-Outlet Cord, 30-Amp Locking L5-30P Plug to Tri-Female (3*5-15R)

The one in the link has a 30 amp twist lock male end. Common on generators. He could swap a 30 amp RV plug on the end and be good to go.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I have just the 30->15 amp $5 converter. I always worry about leaving it in the camp outlet. But I think (if I understand correctly) you want a 30amp that splits to more than 1 - 15 amp so here is one for $22 Conntek 1.5-Feet 30-Amp Tri-Outlet Cord, 30-Amp Locking L5-30P Plug to Tri-Female (3*5-15R)
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, wsfurrie.

My skills run more to carpentry, upholstery, flooring - with a little bit of plumbing thrown in. I'm a bit "chicken" when it comes to electrical.

When you say change 30 amp end to RV type - what do you mean...? Would I have to splice something...?

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that Amazon would have it but I was wrong, they have splitters but not the RV kind. I would be tempted to buy a splitter and change the 30 amp end to the RV type.
Wayne