cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

38 to 45

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
Has any of you went from a 38 ft MH to a 45 ft. If so how long did it take you to get used to the different in size. What if any problems did you have Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
10 REPLIES 10

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I went from at 31 foot gasser with a 15 foot toad to a 45 foot DP with a 20 foot toad. It took a little getting used to. I still examine my mirrors carefully when making sharp or tight turns. Here are the issues I've encountered.
  • I'm way longer now and have to use my rear camera (not the side camera) to tell when I'm completely safe to change lanes. If the rear camera says I'm good, then I look at the side mirror (my primary safety) then my side camera before changing lanes.
  • My toad no longer tracks within the track of my MH. On my old coach if my coach could clear a path, then my toad simply followed. There was zero danger of my toad hitting anything as long as my coach made it. Now, my toad cuts corners and even though I've made it, I find my toad climbing curbs and coming much closer to signs, fences, fire hydrants, etc.
  • I'm seated in front of the front tires now. That definitely takes getting used to. I now have to enter an intersection by a lot before turning and I hang over the edge of most roads while my front tire is safely on the pavement.
  • Acceleration is much slower now when I had the gasser. I doubled my horsepower, but tripled my weight.
  • I'm much taller than before as well. So although you didn't mention height, that makes a big difference. I'm now 13 feet, 4 inches tall vs 12 feet previously. Trees are the bane of my existence. I find myself looking at clearance maps and reading bridge signs now far more than before.

I don't think I'll ever be as quick going through campgrounds and tight roads as before. I think I'm used to it after 6 months, but I'll always be cautious and slower than before.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 42' tag will have the same turning radius as your 38' so you are only looking at a 3' difference when turning.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 40 to 45 and it was no big deal. My 45 has a much sharper wheel cut so it actually turns better than the 40 did.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
ROYBUCK.....Your current coach has a single axle and it's set at a pretty standard distance from the rear of the coach, as are all DP's. The 45' will have a tag axle, pushing the drive axle forward at least 36". So if a single axle DP has for example, six feet of coach behind the rear axle, the tag axle DP will have nine feet of coach from the rear drive axle (pivot point).

So.....you'll gain a little overhang to watch for and will have to make sure you drive a feet few farther forward before making turns. We just went from a 36' to a 40'. It was only a 3' difference since the 36' was actually 37'. It wasn't a huge difference, but I find I have to pay attention making tight turns until I get use to the new length. We had the 36' for 10 years.

The good news.....our new coach has a 60 degree front wheel cut and the wheelbase is the same as our 36' since the drive axle is pushed forward for the tag. We can now turn sharper in our 40' than we can cold in our 36', but have the ride of a longer coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
None, but I like to practice for safety

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We moved from a 40' to a 45' and the tail swing was more of a problem with the 40'. The amount the tail swings out in a turn is related to the ratio of the wheel base compared to the distance from the rear tires to the back. On our 40' it had a shorter wheel base and a slightly longer over hand so it swung more. If I raise the tag on the 45' I can turn sharper but get more tail swing.

It didn't take long at all to appreciate the differences that the length causes.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

first time I was ever in anything bigger than my 38-9 I picked up a 45 in Cal and drove to FL with several stops at parks, resorts or whatever they called them....I had zero problems. Forgot to mention that I also had a 28ft trailer behind it. Just be careful & take your time-----

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the major difference is the looooonnnng wheel base of the 45 tag, plus the tail swing (due to the longer wheelbase) is more prevalent. We went from a 36 to a 43 and I've found that you really need to pay more attention during sharp turns. Other than that, I really didn't feel any difference.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have not driven a 45' MH, but have driven a 45' tour bus and there is a lot of difference between that, my 39' MH, the 40' Thomas school bus I normally drive at work and a 40' tour bus that I drive occasionally. Watch your turns and your rear end. I drove a 97 passenger Crown mid-engine and just about took out 4 cars turning a corner 'cuz of the major tail swing. That baby had tandem rear axles and a LOT of overhang.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Roy,

We went from 42 ft. to 45 ft. and I thought it was not going to be much of a difference but it IS different. Not difficult, just different. I have to swing wider in RV parks and keep an eye on the rear wheels. I have found myself closer to a curb than I thought I would be.

Obviously, a 38 ft. would probably have a single rear axle. In tight turns you will want to lift the tag for a tighter turning radius. Our tag does not lift but releases pressure as not to drag the tag axle in tight turns.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins