cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5 Star Tune and Ford Warranty

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
I was all ready to call and order a 5 star for my V10 when I read their disclaimer that it will void your power train warranty. I have 2 more years left on mine so I guess I will wait.

Jeff
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD
31 REPLIES 31

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
As a Ford owner who runs my drive trains stock I think it's Ford's duty to me to hold down costs by denying warranty coverage to those who modify their drive trains. Look at it this way, back in the 1960s would you have expected Ford to cover a hot rodder who changed an engine's induction system
and camshaft?

What are you talking about? You have already bought and paid for your engine, what Ford does after your purchase will not affect you. If a tune is CARB certified, they cannot deny anything. If their system malfunctions while reading the tune and ruins something in the drive train, that's on their dime. IF you also modify something outside of the approved tune, its on your dime. This is no different than in the sixties, when everything was done mechanically, instead having a computer sampling many more parameters' than was possible then, and making adjustments in the fast lane. This how emissions and gas mileage has gone for the better. Remember, the manufacture makes the tune for the safe side, that will fit most applications with good results. Lets face it, a 10 ton truck, with a cab and box van, is no way near the frontal area that a motorhome has, or the height. Ford does have specific chassis for designated applications, but improvements can be made, for both safe power and economy. If the tune is approved and certified, it will not hurt the drive train.
Wildmanbaker

hfbundy
Explorer
Explorer
Dune Hauler wrote:
Magnuson -Moss Waranty Act wont help you at all Ford will win every time. The money you will spend on attorneys would buy you a new motor 2 or 3 times over. I have first hand experience on this after Gail Banks lied to me that they would help support their 6 gun tuner. I spent more on attorneys than my truck was worth.

Exactly right. Camping World sued Dodge in 2000 after a fuel injection pump failed on my 1998 Dodge Cummins following a Banks upgrade. Although I had a letter from Banks stating that their products would not void my warranty, they immediately defaulted. Camping World lost the lawsuit and discontinued selling Banks products for almost 3 years following this incident.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
rk911 wrote:

defies logic that a company selling this product where the installation and use voids the mfg warranty

Defies logic how?

A--I can make an otherwise desirable product that will void the customer's warranty. But some won't care about that, others will be unaware of it and I can mislead others about it.
B--I can sell the product for as long as I can and make some money or not sell it and make no money.
C--I'll sell the product and make money.

How's that reasoning for you?

you only quoted part of my statement.

for my part, seems like we would've heard from owners who bought the 5-Star product and subsequently had warranty wirk denied due to the 5-Star product and yet i don't recall any such posts. anyone? look, i'm not a shill for 5-Star and i am considering the purchase. i wondered about my Ford warranty too and if anyone is still unsure a call to Ford Corporate may be a good idea. defies logic that a company selling this product where the installation and use voids the mfg warranty
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
I've never heard of a single case of a dealer denying a claim on a tuned V10. Ditto EcoBoost F150 owners.

Also, I've never heard anybody's V10 being damaged by a 5-Star tune.

On F-150 Forums I've read of tuned engines being denied coverage. I'm sure both of us have never heard of many things that have happened.

In any event what matters is that Ford seems to be in a position to deny coverage to tuned engines. Knowing that, do what you want. But acknowledge you're possibly putting your warranty at risk.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

defies logic that a company selling this product where the installation and use voids the mfg warranty

Defies logic how?

A--I can make an otherwise desirable product that will void the customer's warranty. But some won't care about that, others will be unaware of it and I can mislead others about it.
B--I can sell the product for as long as I can and make some money or not sell it and make no money.
C--I'll sell the product and make money.

How's that reasoning for you?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
I've never heard of a single case of a dealer denying a claim on a tuned V10. Ditto EcoBoost F150 owners.

Also, I've never heard anybody's V10 being damaged by a 5-Star tune...

this was my earlier point. seems we would have heard of denied warranty claims by Ford by now if there was a problem.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

carringb
Explorer
Explorer

Also, I've never heard anybody's V10 being damaged by a 5-Star tune.

I have a diablo predator. It is possible to cause detonation if I manually adjust things too aggressive. But I've had my tune installed for the last 275,000 miles. I have 425,000 on my V10 now. I think you'll be much happier, and the chance of anything going wrong on your V10 is pretty slim.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
As a Ford owner who runs my drive trains stock I think it's Ford's duty to me to hold down costs by denying warranty coverage to those who modify their drive trains. Look at it this way, back in the 1960s would you have expected Ford to cover a hot rodder who changed an engine's induction system
and camshaft?

Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the vendor says about warranty is worthless. The only voice that counts is Ford Corp----------------not even a dealer.

Things that revise the shift points and ignition curves, as most tuners do, can easily adversely affect engine and transmission life. Use these things at your own risk.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
So I wonder why it would void the warranty on a truck and not an rv ???
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
The way the 5 Star makes the trans shift better and less RPM's on the motor seems like it would be better for Ford in the long run.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jeffo wrote:
Thanks, I also sent a contact to 5 star from their web site and asked the same question.

this is the post i sent to 5-Star:
...the warranty being voided or not is a recent topic for discussion on RV.NET's Open Roads Forum <> . one poster pointed us to this statement from Stage 3 Motorsports (one of your dealers????). Check out what they have to say at this link: <>. you can see why many of us are unsure and confused. Can you set the record straight?

this is the reply i received:
those are for trucks NOT RVs , we have Ford dealers purchasing daily from us
thanks
mike

for my part, seems like we would've heard from owners who bought the 5-Star product and subsequently had warranty wirk denied due to the 5-Star product and yet i don't recall any such posts. anyone? look, i'm not a shill for 5-Star and i am considering the purchase. i wondered about my Ford warranty too and if anyone is still unsure a call to Ford Corporate may be a good idea.

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I also sent a contact to 5 star from their web site and asked the same question.

Just heard back from Chris at 5 star and he says it does not void the warranty. He did not go into any detail.

Who do you believe??
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
I would make a copy of these posts and if it ever comes up, present them to the adjusters. You know no adjuster in his right mine would ever contradict a poster. They are always right. Just ask them. :S