cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Star Tuning Info Needed for Ford V-10

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of buying the 5 star SCT tuner, they have one that has only 1 program and another that has a custom program with live wire, is the custom program worth the extra cost, anyone just used the 1 program SCT and was the results worth the $415, I would have no idea how to set up a custom program.

2008 Ford V-10.

http://5startuning.com/product/ford-6-8l-v10-rv-motor-home-only-x4-power-flash-device/

http://5startuning.com/product/1-livewire-ts-5015-rvmotorhome/
10 REPLIES 10

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
Got one for sale see Craigslist Dallas. See "5 Star SCT Tuner 3015"

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Just got my SCT X4 with 5 star tuning for Ford motorhome, going to load it this weekend, hope all goes well, going to watch utube videos on how to load.
Please post an update afterwards.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my SCT X4 with 5 star tuning for Ford motorhome, going to load it this weekend, hope all goes well, going to watch utube videos on how to load.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
timmac wrote:

What tune did you go with, they have three for 87 octane, economy, performance with tow/haul or performance with tow/haul OD lock out

I am leaning towards the performance with tow/haul since I tow 5000 lbs but will this reduce mpg or should I go with economy mode.
When I got mine for my '11 Fleetwood storm I think all the tunes were loaded on my chip. It wasn't three separate tunes. When I hit the tow/haul switch, it simply loaded shifted according to that mode. I only remember two tunes though, not three.

Do they sell them as three separate tunes now? Or do you get all three in one download?

It shows on the website with a tuner with one mode or a upgraded tuner with display and 3 tune modes and choose your octane, I am looking at the one mode tuner for $415 but I choose 3 options, 87 octane economy, 87 octane performance tow/haul mode or 87 octane performance tow/haul OD lock out.

I am going to buy in the next few days and I think I am going with 87 octane performance tow/haul mode since I tow slightly above 5000 lbs

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

What tune did you go with, they have three for 87 octane, economy, performance with tow/haul or performance with tow/haul OD lock out

I am leaning towards the performance with tow/haul since I tow 5000 lbs but will this reduce mpg or should I go with economy mode.
When I got mine for my '11 Fleetwood storm I think all the tunes were loaded on my chip. It wasn't three separate tunes. When I hit the tow/haul switch, it simply loaded shifted according to that mode. I only remember two tunes though, not three.

Do they sell them as three separate tunes now? Or do you get all three in one download?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your going just for the shifting points you mite also look at a Banks Trans Command. One of the first things I put on mine in 01. No longer shifted out of OD when I came to an overpass.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
All tuners from 5star have their custom tune. they do not sell tuners with a generic tune. so yes the tuner with just 1 tune is a custom tune for your particular RV. and yes it does work and is well worth the money. I got mine 3 years ago and after I got it I wish I would've gotten it much sooner!

No it will probably not pay for itself, but for how much it changes the transmission shift programming it makes driving much more relaxing.

You will not be disappointed.

I went with the 3 tune option. 89 octane Economy, 89 towing and 89 performance. However my X with the V-10 doesn't have the 5speed with Tow/Haul. I bought mine primarily for the improved trans shift programming as the one Ford programmed it with left a lot to be desired even non towing! I did gain about .3 or so MPG only because the trans holds each gear longer letting the engine work in its power band instead of shifting early and then lugging back into the power band on the next shift. The tuner only adds about 20HP and about 20lbft TQ (not exactly sure on the numbers). Not a lot, but enough to notice when downshifting or accelerating. There is not enough to burn up a trans.

5star has an excellent reputation. And they are very easy to work with. Give mike a call if you have any real in depth questions!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
All tuners from 5star have their custom tune. they do not sell tuners with a generic tune. so yes the tuner with just 1 tune is a custom tune for your particular RV. and yes it does work and is well worth the money. I got mine 3 years ago and after I got it I wish I would've gotten it much sooner!

No it will probably not pay for itself, but for how much it changes the transmission shift programming it makes driving much more relaxing.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
go over to IRV2.com and check out this forum post about a group buy on the 5 Star tuner. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/5-star-tuning-group-buy-244384.html
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association