cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 amp female to 30 amp male shore power cord question

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
I've had lots of TT with 30 amp shore power cords, so I naturally have a 30 amp RV box on the side of my pole barn. Now I'm brand new to a Class A and it's 50 amp cord. I just ordered a dog bone adapter to convert the 50 to a 30, but what I'm wondering is, do I lose half of my MH power? Or does it all power up and I just cant use both A/C's?
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Opion 2. Everythign gets power but yes. Only one A/C and you may have to restrict use of Microwave and ELectric water heater at same time as well.

Do it, usually about half the summer and 2/3 of the winter myself.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I am too self-centered. We use our Class A (50 amp) MH for guests, sometimes for up to a week.
Would not want to try to explain each time how they need to manager the power.

I'll get my nose out of it now......................

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
parkmanaa wrote:
Is it not possible to run a second 120v line (different phase), from your service panel to that 30 amp receptacle on your pole barn, then install a regular 50-amp receptacle?
I predict you will not be happy in the long run "managing" 30 amps for a 50-amp MH. Also I predict you will get tired of changing that 30 amp breaker due to it becoming weak from frequent tripping.

On contrare 30 amps is plenty much unless your living in it in summer while trying to run two roof AC units and other stuff to boot
so no you don't need 50 unless(like I said)

If you are so happy with 30-amp service to a 50-amp unit, why have 50 amps at all? Guess I am too 'do-it-myselfer'. Unless that pole barn is a long, long way from my service panel I would change it to 50-amp if I had to run new wiring and conduit.

If I dont need the use of both A/C's at the same time, I dont need 50 amps. I have better things to do with my time and money at this point. Maybe next year, but unless I see the need to stay in the MH during a hot summer ( at home ), I see the 30 amp service as enough to do it's job.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
parkmanaa wrote:
Is it not possible to run a second 120v line (different phase), from your service panel to that 30 amp receptacle on your pole barn, then install a regular 50-amp receptacle?
I predict you will not be happy in the long run "managing" 30 amps for a 50-amp MH. Also I predict you will get tired of changing that 30 amp breaker due to it becoming weak from frequent tripping.

On contrare 30 amps is plenty much useless your living in it in summer while trying to run two roof AC units and other stuff to boot

If you are so happy with 30-amp service to a 50-amp unit, why have 50 amps at all? Guess I am too 'do-it-myselfer'. Unless that pole barn is a long, long way from my service panel I would change it to 50-amp if I had to run new wiring and conduit.

kind of a dumb question really.Pretty obvious why one needs 50 amp under normal circumstances
what I opined about was unless your actually using the motor home at this location and require 50amps then 30 amps is already more than ANYONE needs for storage purposes
that was and is my point I was making

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
parkmanaa wrote:

On contrare 30 amps is plenty much unless your living in it in summer while trying to run two roof AC units and other stuff to boot

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
parkmanaa wrote:

if your circuit is run in conduit, than yes you can pull in an additional wire. you could change the plug to a 50 amp plug, but if its #10 wire which Im sure it is you could only fuse it at 30 amps with a two pole breaker
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Use only ONE big item at a time.
AC
Microwave
water heater, if electric
charger, IF you run the batteries down, it will draw a lot at first

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for the replies. I'm used to a TT with 30 amp service, so it wont be a problem knowing the limitations of 30 amp in the MH.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
anconn wrote:
Basically it means you can only run one roof air conditioner at a time. Every thing else is the same.

only if the MH is not equipped with an energy mgmt. system. if it is you can run both but not much else.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Jayhawks wrote:

No you won't lose half of your MH power the entire coach should have power you just have less to work with. 30 amp is plenty for storage or even staying in as long as you know what everything in the coach requires power wise. If you were at a CG with a 50 amp hook up & you tested with a milti meter the two hots would make 240 volts. After you plug your adapter into your 30 amp outlet the two hots on the four pin end will only be 120 volts.

The voltage from hot to hot with an adapter will be zero volts, since they're connected together. The voltage from hot to neutral will be 120V, but that's also true with a proper 120/240V 50A connection.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
I've had lots of TT with 30 amp shore power cords, so I naturally have a 30 amp RV box on the side of my pole barn. Now I'm brand new to a Class A and it's 50 amp cord. I just ordered a dog bone adapter to convert the 50 to a 30, but what I'm wondering is, do I lose half of my MH power? Or does it all power up and I just cant use both A/C's?

No you won't lose half of your MH power the entire coach should have power you just have less to work with. 30 amp is plenty for storage or even staying in as long as you know what everything in the coach requires power wise. If you were at a CG with a 50 amp hook up & you tested with a milti meter the two hots would make 240 volts. After you plug your adapter into your 30 amp outlet the two hots on the four pin end will only be 120 volts.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer

anconn
Explorer
Explorer
Basically it means you can only run one roof air conditioner at a time. Every thing else is the same.
2002 Seabreeze 34' MH
2005 Jeep Liberty