cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$500,000 Motorhome. Class A? or would it be a C.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have thought 500 grand would buy something just a little more plush.

click
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
24 REPLIES 24

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like they call it an "expedition vehicle". I don't know if I'd want shag carpet and burgandy fluff drapes when going over some half muddy hills somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

I mean what if somebody loved birdwatching and drove one to Panama or whatever and got into some serious muddy back roads. They throw on mud boots a rain coat with camera in hand. They come back seriously soaked and muddy. Dunno if I'd want fine wood grain and fancy non-durable stuff if it was routine.

Still though $500,000 is so out of my budget. If I had that hobby it would be jeep time with a sleeping bag in the back.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a night around the campfire, in the Yukon, with an owner of an expedition rig. He was a German who just circles the globe for fun. His rig had been all over China, Russia, and Africa, and dozens of other countries. At the end of the summer he was scheduled to catch a slow freighter from Baltimore to France, then stop at home for a while, before the next adventure. Comparing a typical American plastic box full of tacky dรฉcor, and shoddy construction to an expedition rig, is like comparing yourself to an MLB hall of famer because you played in high school. Not quite the same league. A guy with four GPS units on the dash, a set-up that makes fetid swamp water drinkable, and stories of negotiating his way out of being kidnapped in Morocco, and being detained in China, is a bit different than your latest adventure to the local KOA with your glitzo express brand bedazzled class A.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
That's plenty plush when you are remote Off The Beaten Path where no other RV can go...

A bonneted US HDT truck like that would be limited by the terrain more than anything else. Too wide and heavy for many bridges and tracks

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Rockhillmanor wrote:
x2. If you look at all the European RV's they almost all have the contemporary interiors.

Real downside to US Motorhomes and Caravans here, is those dated tacky interiors.

skdmark1
Explorer
Explorer
retired and definitely plan on full timing while leaving our worries behind

skdmark1
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a class A then sell house and property or sell then buy a class A

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
You are not always buying plush. Sometimes you pay for capability. Tugboat vs yacht.

$500,000 is not very much money for a HD truck with serious off-road capabilities. On-road, it won't even buy a motorcoach empty shell. It will get you a plastic box, with plush furnishings, on a rail chassis.

I suspect the people buying these have different values. It would probably take no more than another $100k to decorate the interior to look like a bordello, but that's a different market, for a different customer, well serviced by the RV industry here.
for 500K you can buy a very nice motorhome, no it wont go through creek beds and climb serious grades but has a lot more comforts than that. You can buy a serious Oshkosh 6 wheel drive and build something in your spare time.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
That unit is not meant to sit in luxery RV parks. It's meant for getting out in the boonies and there's no reason for "plush". Anyone buying that is interested in how sturdy it's built. It's also 'euro style' inside and many love the ultra modern with easy care.

x2. If you look at all the European RV's they almost all have the contemporary interiors.

I wish we would get on board with that and drop those darn butt ugly 70's fabirc patterns that are in so many of our RV's!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
That unit is not meant to sit in luxery RV parks. It's meant for getting out in the boonies and there's no reason for "plush". Anyone buying that is interested in how sturdy it's built. It's also 'euro style' inside and many love the ultra modern with easy care.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
You are not always buying plush. Sometimes you pay for capability. Tugboat vs yacht.

$500,000 is not very much money for a HD truck with serious off-road capabilities. On-road, it won't even buy a motorcoach empty shell. It will get you a plastic box, with plush furnishings, on a rail chassis.

I suspect the people buying these have different values. It would probably take no more than another $100k to decorate the interior to look like a bordello, but that's a different market, for a different customer, well serviced by the RV industry here.

Bordello is right. My friends new Prevost looks like just that!

Mirrors, crystals, mahogany, dark cave atmosphere. Nary a ray of natural light comes in. I can't take more than a few minutes in their MH without feeling claustrophobic. I can't wait to get back to my MH where there is plenty of natural light coming in.

I tease him a lot that it reminds me of walking back into a 70's nightclub on Rush St. in Chicago! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that it looks a bit ugly. I think a good paint job will go a long ways to make it look nice.

I don't really care to carry more than 500 miles worth of fuel and would rather have more than 100 gallons of fresh water, like 150 - 200 gallons.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a special on how they build these. they are quite impressive.
They may not have amenities that we are have grown accustomed to.
But, that clientele is not looking for what we find essential.

A Unimog will take someone to places most of us will never see except for on tv. A 60" flat screen tv that we are watching in our Prevost while plugged in at an RV resort. ๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
500K for that small of a living space! No thank you!

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy that. But then I'm in the camp that would rather have one of those huge slide-in campers and a Dodge 5500 4WD over my MH. And I like my MH.