cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8 V10 E450 mpg on Ford

Camper_2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, my friend wants to buy a 24 ft Motorhome. What would be mpg on 6.8 V10 E450. Thanks.
53 REPLIES 53

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
J&L Rivera wrote:
JNorton wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Our 2013 E450 V10 that is 32' long gets about 8mpg... not much difference if it's towing or not.

Boy I'd be checking out why your mpg is so low. That just doesn't seem right for the V10.
Hmmmm 8.2 MPG at 62 MPH average for my 31'.

Same here.

Same here again.

32' same here at 60 mph. Never more than 9.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

Justardnck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Majestic (old Cruise America Rental) 28' with a V10 E450 128k miles and it gets 7.5 average and that is running between 55-65mph highway in Florida with no hills. One time on a trip to Tennessee and only on one tank I saw 8.5mpg. All of these numbers are not towing. I have tried premium fuel and regular and the results are the same. I would love to know how I could improve that, we have put plugs and coil packs on it and nothing has helped. (The coil packs were because we had a slight stutter coming off of idle and not to fix fuel economy)
2005 E450 Majestic 28' V10

triple602
Explorer
Explorer
I've never figured it out and don't care.

2hams2alaska
Explorer
Explorer
On our last two trips to Alaska and back (10,000 miles each) we averaged 9.45 MPG over the whole trip both times. We typically drove 55 - 62 where law and conditions permitted. On the northern Canadian roads a bit slower, and in some cases, much slower. Our 29 foot 2000 Coachmen Class C is on a E450 chassis, Triton V10.

Mike
Mike NA9Q, Retired Electrical Engineer
My Shih Tzu traveling companions Jack and Diane
Memories Of My Beloved DW & Traveling Companion for 51 yrs Arlyce NB9Q
and of Pookie Sue, Our Shih Tzu, Companion 10/26/1992- 04/27/2010
2000 Coachmen 285QB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
J&L Rivera wrote:
JNorton wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
wbwood wrote:
Our 2013 E450 V10 that is 32' long gets about 8mpg... not much difference if it's towing or not.

Boy I'd be checking out why your mpg is so low. That just doesn't seem right for the V10.

Same here.

Same here again.

31 ft here and I get a pretty consistent 11 mpg.....keeping it at 55mph.

And yes it drops way down if I do 65, but never as low as 8 mpg. I must be very lucky and that maybe my motor/chassie was built on a Monday when everyone on the assembly line was told they were getting a raise! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

Now that, is an honest answer. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
J&L Rivera wrote:
JNorton wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
wbwood wrote:

Same here.

Same here again.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
Plan on 7-8 mpg when budgeting for a trip. Typical Class C's have a lot of aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance due to the overall weight. The drag builds up a lot as you go faster than 50mph. Tires should be inflated to proper pressures for your rig (not too soft). I have gotten as high as 9 mpg and as low as 7mpg depending on wind conditions, level terrain vs mountianous,and traffic conditions with slowing and accelerating.Cost of fuel in an RV is only a small part of the total cost of ownership and operation.

Agree with all but the last sentence. Fuel costs are one of the largest costs in RV ownership-possibly second only to depreciation. Depending on fuel prices typically $4000-$5000 per 10,000 miles. Or $40,000 to $50,000 per 100,000 miles. Maybe we'll catch a break on some of this if the fuel prices stay low.

J_L_Rivera
Explorer
Explorer
JNorton wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
wbwood wrote:

Same here.
Lake Front Property
2007 Itasca Spirit 31C
2008 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
wbwood wrote:

2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on 7-8 mpg when budgeting for a trip. Typical Class C's have a lot of aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance due to the overall weight. The drag builds up a lot as you go faster than 50mph. Tires should be inflated to proper pressures for your rig (not too soft). I have gotten as high as 9 mpg and as low as 7mpg depending on wind conditions, level terrain vs mountianous,and traffic conditions with slowing and accelerating.Cost of fuel in an RV is only a small part of the total cost of ownership and operation.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:

That sounds about right to me. I had an older 1998 30' C and I got around 8 in mountain driving, sometimes a little less. I could get around 9-9.5 in the flats. Pulling a toad dropped it about .5 mpg. His rig is probably right at GVWR, plus pulling a toad and it's very high profile. The lighter, lower profile rigs of course get better mpg.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving circumstances are extremely influential with fuel economy. For example, our trips most often include a lot of highway driving across the Great Plains where fuel economy is better. Others travel less, often all mountain or high traffic driving so their numbers will be lower.

I should also mention that we consistently cruise the open road at 5mph over the posted speed limits which are often different when towing. But we do limit ourselves to 70mph.

For us with our aerodynamic 2007 E350-V10 rig with the current-day Torque-shift transmission shown here, "TRIP AVERAGES" have been fairly predictable at 9-9.5mpg when we take our Jeep Liberty along, and 10-11mpg when we leave it home. Fuel economy is nearly the same because when towing, once at our destinations, the rig stays put and the Jeep does the bad-mileage-condition driving.