cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

81 or 95?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Fla panhandle (Santa Rosa) from central MD in a few weeks, finalizing the route. Have taken 95 to Eastern Fla and other points North several times. 95 for me is a bit of a nightmare to start the trip as the begining gets me into DC, beltway etc. LOTS of traffic and can be some white knuckle driving. I like to try and relax on my trips. Then the section of 95 in the norther partn is just a plain piece of bad road. Tank traps galore. But it's level. It does add less than an hour to the trip. 81 is easier to access for me, less stressful and is a shorter distance. But it has a lot of OTR trucks and 50% of that journey is through some decent mountains which equals worse MPG. I actually prefer 81, but the mountains can be laborious after while. Anyone have a preferance or a dynamic I am not seeing?

Thanks
2013 ACE 29.2
19 REPLIES 19

BIGBIRD130
Explorer
Explorer
Places to go in Destin and area

Breakfast Donut Hole
Another Broken Egg

Lunch The Back Porch
Dinner Margaritaville Just opened but the
location has a great view of the
Harbor
McGuire's Irish Pub Fun place

Museum Eglin AFB Armament Museum
History of weapons on
airplanes
Many airplanes on display

Gulfarium Marine animal park
Gets great reviews

Sea Food Sexton's
Destin Ice and Seafood
Blalocks
2007 GMC Envoy Denali

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
How was Santa Rosa Chuck? Never been there but it looks really nice. We're booked at Topsail. Going there there for low key atmosphere, cost and not too far south. My son loves to snorkel and dive I hear there are good places there and easy biking to everything.

we stayed at Topsail like you are going to...just down the street from topsail is a local place to eat called Elmo's..can bike....great gumbo and oysters on 1/2 shell plus other food......also Like Dewey's of Destin..but the one on the pier behind the Irish Pub at the bridge...also the Back Porch is another decent place to eat
can rent boats down by dewey's also.....
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
BIGBIRD130 wrote:
Been going to Destin for 35 years
Don't know if you will like this but at least you can check it out
I-81 to I-77 South to XT 51B to I-40 West to XT 123 US 321 South to I-85 South to I 285 Bypass to I 85 South to I-185 to US 431 South to US 231 South to SR 273 South to Sr 77 South to I-10 West to XT 85 to US 331 South to US 98 West to Santa Rosa
It may be longer-shorter who knows?
It's a nice ride
Just another route to look at

Thanks,

It's our first time to Destin. I am really looking fwd to it. If you have any suggestions on things to see, local food, nice place to relax with a brew that's kid friendly, places to snorkel/dive etc. We like to to try and immerse into the local atmosphere as much as we can. Staying at Topsail, not sure if we'll take the car or get one, but we will definitely have bikes.

edit: that's exactly the route I was looking at.
2013 ACE 29.2

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:
To bypass DC traffic, I would take US 15 down to Warrenton and then US 17 to Fredericksburg and pick up I-95 there. If you take I-295 around Richmond the next traffic you'll hit will be Jacksonville.

If you take I-81, I-77 and I-85 you'll hit bad traffic in Charlotte and Atlanta.

Edit: I just reread your post and noticed you're going to the panhandle. I'm not sure which route I would advise. I-95 would probably be longer.

Take the 485 around it and you miss the Charlotte traffic. No comment on Atlanta, though...
1999 Itasca Sunrise

BIGBIRD130
Explorer
Explorer
Been going to Destin for 35 years
Don't know if you will like this but at least you can check it out
I-81 to I-77 South to XT 51B to I-40 West to XT 123 US 321 South to I-85 South to I 285 Bypass to I 85 South to I-185 to US 431 South to US 231 South to SR 273 South to Sr 77 South to I-10 West to XT 85 to US 331 South to US 98 West to Santa Rosa
It may be longer-shorter who knows?
It's a nice ride
Just another route to look at
2007 GMC Envoy Denali

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering how far west in the pan handle your are headed I81-I75-I59 is probably your best route thru eastern Tennessee and south thru Alabama. Much better drive than I95 in all respects. Just watch your speed thru Chattanooga as the road weaves thru the mountain passes.

There are a bunch of Virginia and Tennessee State parks along the route that are good for a one night over stop at less than $30 a night.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather drive an extra 2 hours and 140 miles out of my way to keep off of I-95, especially around the DC area!!!!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:
To bypass DC traffic, I would take US 15 down to Warrenton and then US 17 to Fredericksburg and pick up I-95 there. If you take I-295 around Richmond the next traffic you'll hit will be Jacksonville.

If you take I-81, I-77 and I-85 you'll hit bad traffic in Charlotte and Atlanta.

Edit: I just reread your post and noticed you're going to the panhandle. I'm not sure which route I would advise. I-95 would probably be longer.

X2 the 15 to 17 to 95 to 295 way
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
How was Santa Rosa Chuck? Never been there but it looks really nice. We're booked at Topsail. Going there there for low key atmosphere, cost and not too far south. My son loves to snorkel and dive I hear there are good places there and easy biking to everything.
2013 ACE 29.2

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
ct1964ups wrote:
Effy wrote:
Heading to Fla panhandle (Santa Rosa) from central MD in a few weeks, finalizing the route. Have taken 95 to Eastern Fla and other points North several times. 95 for me is a bit of a nightmare to start the trip as the begining gets me into DC, beltway etc. LOTS of traffic and can be some white knuckle driving. I like to try and relax on my trips. Then the section of 95 in the norther partn is just a plain piece of bad road. Tank traps galore. But it's level. It does add less than an hour to the trip. 81 is easier to access for me, less stressful and is a shorter distance. But it has a lot of OTR trucks and 50% of that journey is through some decent mountains which equals worse MPG. I actually prefer 81, but the mountains can be laborious after while. Anyone have a preferance or a dynamic I am not seeing?
Thanks

Tough call,but last year we were in Santa Rosa and were heading to Ct....
so I decided to come up 331 thru Alabama..to I-65 in Momtgomery ...up past Birmingham on 65 to Chattannoga....then 40 to 81 and up to Ct....it was a great ride and saved about 300 miles...If I was heading back there I would go the same way...also,quite a choice of campgrounds as you go...Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Yeah we'll be looking for an overnight both ways. I don't like to plan those, more of a "get as far as you can before you get tired" and break for the day, but I like to know at least know there are options.

If you do go this way...from Chattanooga it is I-59 to Birmingham to I-65....missed it on first post....I also found nice c/g at I-77 & I-81..Ft Chiswell ; another in Tn at exit36 Baileyton RV ;KOA in Cleveland ; off I-59 nice one in Gadsden...River Country; and the other one is in Greenville,Ala at exit 130 ogg I-65...Shirling c/g and park...a really great city park 2 miles off hwy....Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer I-81 and take it every chance we get. We find the road better and the scenery better. Yes there are a lot of semis but we think that there are more on I 95. We have also found that I 95 is more likely to have long back ups for what seems to be for no reason at all. You just sit there are then the traffic starts to move again. I 81 is just more relaxing to us.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
Effy wrote:
Thanks

Tough call,but last year we were in Santa Rosa and were heading to Ct....
so I decided to come up 331 thru Alabama..to I-65 in Momtgomery ...up past Birmingham on 65 to Chattannoga....then 40 to 81 and up to Ct....it was a great ride and saved about 300 miles...If I was heading back there I would go the same way...also,quite a choice of campgrounds as you go...Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Yeah we'll be looking for an overnight both ways. I don't like to plan those, more of a "get as far as you can before you get tired" and break for the day, but I like to know at least know there are options.
2013 ACE 29.2

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Can-AmDuo wrote:
I too live in central MD and do not take the DC beltway any more. If I want to access 95 south I take 15 through Point of Rocks, Leesburg, Warrenton then 17 to Fredericksburg. To access 81 I take 340 and 7 to Winchester VA. The difference in mpg on 81 is more than offset by the ease of driving. I am all for the most enjoyable trip I can have. Personally I prefer 81.

Whatever you decide may you have a great journey.
Safe travels, Brenda

I am with you Brenda. 81 is a much nicer road, nicer views, less "city" traffic. 95 is stressful to me. The North half is rough and full of people late for their accidents. I don't like driving it in a car. Yeah I think 81 it is. Much smoother. And despite climbing the hills, some of the views are spectacular. FAR more relaxing.
2013 ACE 29.2