cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'98 Roadtrek 190P Changing out the big blue sewer hose

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
The "new to me" rig has sat for 2 years and I'm going through it and learning about things. I went to hook up the sewer dump, tugged on the very brittle big blue hose and it promptly broke. Found this link: http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/tech-info/harvey-s-tech-page/changing-the-big-blue-hose and bought a replacement hose and am trying to fix it. I haven't gotten very far and I'm wondering if any of you have done this? First of all there was only one screw on my valve manifold so I'm assuming that I need to get another one. Then, I see the 3 screws that hold the support bracket to the body, but there is stuff in the way and I can't get the screwdriver (the square Roadtrek red one) to the screws. Is there a hack to get the screwdriver in there? Is there another tool I can use that will fit up there?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
All fixed and done! The job was indeed quite simple and easy once I had the right tool. The instructions in the link were very exact and made it go so smoothly. Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions. On to the next project! The water system... I think that one may be beyond me. The PVC water lines are cracked and I'm thinking that the whole system may need replacing. Anybody have experience with that one?

Linda

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
A set of high capacity drive-on ramps helps, too. Look for Rhino brand at your local bog-box auto parts store. I think the black color ones are the 12,000 lb capacity ones. About $50.

Jim, "The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona! Thank you SO much for the link that contains the additional information. Excellent! I finally found a ratchet squarehead wrench that will hopefully work to get those screws out. I also picked up some additional screws in case I need them. Tomorrow will be a continuation of the adventure. Today I learned a lot about patience, I found a good RV parts and repair place with helpful and friendly employees, I learned a lot about the peculiarities of my van, and I did have fun. Thank you for your help! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Linda

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, go to a hardware store and get the drive, and extensions you need.
Here is a more thorough tutorial from Markos web site.
Changing Blue Sewer Hose

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, the little red screwdriver all by itself won't fit between the screws and the thing that's in the way. No way to get to it without a different screwdriver and an angled reach.

Hillyhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Arizona,

It looks just like the one in the link, except that the thing in the second photo that's above the screws is actually blocking the screws. I got the best hose they had at the repair place, new clamps, and tape... but I can't get to the dang screws! I'm trying to use a vise grip with the little red screwdriver to see if that helps... going to try it now.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
The different years changed slightly, but are basically the same. Take some photos before you take it apart. You may need to get a different drive, and extensions to get to the square headed screws. It's not a hard job, but not the most fun. Replace the hose with a heavy duty one, cut to fit the tube. I would get new clamps, and wrap the area where the clamps go over the hose with black electrical tape, to prevent them cutting into the hose.