cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A used Newell, what do you think?

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like your thoughts on the Newell's from lets say 2002 to 2006? Would you consider an 8 to 12 years old Newell ?

American builds a great coach with its Eagle and Heritage brands and Entegra has the Cornerstone, all top of the line coaches. And I know you can buy a newer one of them for the same money as an older Newell.

My question is... is the build of the Newell so much better so that it is a viable consideration over the other newer rigs mentioned above?

I'm probably asking the question poorly and I apologize for that. I know a Newell is a beautiful coach but would you choose one 8 to 12 years old with the expectation of it going another 20 years?

Thank you for your help and wisdom...
121 REPLIES 121

southpark
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:
While I like the Newell, be aware of the very slow chassis parts delivery, ask Cummins Atlantic shop, Richmond Va, they have a very late model with the ISX 650 engine in their shop, has tied up a bay for weeks waiting for a chassis component, can not get it outside to parking lot.
Unusual but fact am told.
Dave M

I recently read about a poor fellow with a different brand who couldn't even get information about his build because the manufacturer does not have any records for their coaches that are over five years old. Five years. I guess everybody gets a little water with their wine.

clarkehock
Explorer
Explorer
mci7, no doubt the 2nd hand anecdotal story you relate is true, but that is not my experience, nor the experience of the 300 plus Newell owners I am acquainted with. They, Newell, answer the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and shipment of parts is very fast. You are treated with the same respect whether you own a 1982 Newell as I do, or a 2002, or a 2012. I can still get some parts directly from Newell for my 1982 coach.
CLARKE AND ELAINE
1982 Newell 36' 6V92TA

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
While I like the Newell, be aware of the very slow chassis parts delivery, ask Cummins Atlantic shop, Richmond Va, they have a very late model with the ISX 650 engine in their shop, has tied up a bay for weeks waiting for a chassis component, can not get it outside to parking lot.
Unusual but fact am told.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you guys for your recommendation of Newell Guru. I joined it the other day and it seems like a good group of folks. So thanks again for all your help and recommendations... Harry

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman wrote:
I an't no fool so its got to be a Newell...

I think you'll love a Newell once you find the perfect one. It was very hard for us to pick between brands as they are all very unique and all have their positives and negatives.

Newell's are solid and have a very good factory backing.

Hope to see you on the road one day!

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman wrote:

A poet - we did not know it!

Good luck with your excellent choice.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman wrote:

I tell you all of that to tell you this... I now know EXACTLY the brand I want and thank each and every one of you for solitifaying it for me!

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you,

Harry

And that brand is??
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Foodsman wrote:
I want to thank you one and all...

After my wife and I decided a motorhome was for us I set out to decide "What Style & Type of Motorhome" is for us. That was fairly easy to quantify; • 43 to 45' DP (45' preferred) • One and a half bath. Other things are important but these two are the deal-breakers.

I've downloaded every brochure available from all major brands, researched each one sixteen ways to Sunday and benefited greatly by all you good folks on RV.Net. Some have even been nice enough to answer questions I've had by Private Message and thank each of you for that!

I am a database designer and builder and trust me when I say that "Research" is what I do. I read, study and don't let up until I know what I know I need to know.

I tell you all of that to tell you this... I now know EXACTLY the brand I want and thank each and every one of you for solitifaying it for me!

Harry

And the brand you picked is?????
2013 ACE 29.2

Foodsman
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you one and all...

After my wife and I decided a motorhome was for us I set out to decide "What Style & Type of Motorhome" is for us. That was fairly easy to quantify; • 43 to 45' DP (45' preferred) • One and a half bath. Other things are important but these two are the deal-breakers.

I've downloaded every brochure available from all major brands, researched each one sixteen ways to Sunday and benefited greatly by all you good folks on RV.Net. Some have even been nice enough to answer questions I've had by Private Message and thank each of you for that!

I am a database designer and builder and trust me when I say that "Research" is what I do. I read, study and don't let up until I know what I know I need to know.

Harry

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
bogeygolfer wrote:
Just as a follow-up: I spent some time on the Newellgurus site last night and have a newfound appreciation for those coaches. I wasn't aware of the history of the company and found it very interesting. Quality certainly is hard to find these days, and I think Newell is unique in that regard.

LOL! Usually when you pay close to 2 million dollars for a coach they are very unique. You can buy three Eagles for the price you pay for a new Newell. Something to think about.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a follow-up: I spent some time on the Newellgurus site last night and have a newfound appreciation for those coaches. I wasn't aware of the history of the company and found it very interesting. Quality certainly is hard to find these days, and I think Newell is unique in that regard.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Bikeboy57 wrote:
Joatha,

My lovely bride likes to make her nest in the passenger seat. Not having a door there means she doesn't have to move it every time we exit the coach.

Heh, heh, I forgot to mention, mine is the same way. Pillows, iPad and snacks. Ours has the extra wide seat so its like a couch with a power footrest. It's the only vehicle I've ever seen her take a nap in.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Joatha,

Sorry, I mistakenly left out Wanderlodge. I totally agree with you. In many ways the similarities are there, there is a FANTASTIC support group for the Birds. I often visit your site for documentation. It is excellent.

I think the point that owners of older high end coaches are trying to make to you is that the bones are there. If you take care of them, and invest a little TLC from time to time, then the robustness of the construction will win out over time.

Foodsman, enjoy your search and research. If you decide on a Prevost, Wanderlodge, Newell, or Foretravel, and I am not discounting CC, AE, or Monaco, I highly recommend that you join their forums before you buy. Often, those groups are tight knit and have personal knowledge of the coaches out there. The owners can give you very specific things to look out for.

One last comment and I'll butt out. The mid door works for me. But I am normally traveling with two teen boys or guests. The mid door divides the coach into two compartments and I don't have to go through the "other" sleeping quarters to grab my coffee and enjoy the very early morning. My lovely bride likes to make her nest in the passenger seat. Not having a door there means she doesn't have to move it every time we exit the coach.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad