Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About to Buy a Used Class C, Looking for Advice

Mark_Spears
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I am in the Army and my wife and I have 2 small children (2 yrs. and 6 months). We travel 6 hours one way to visit family, and the two kids are a handfull in the back of our Trailblazer. We also take a couple of trips every year from our home in Texas up to Wisconsin to visit the other side of the family. My wife and I both grew up camping in bumper pulls, but we decided to by a class C so that we have a place to stay when we visit our families.

My first instinct was to buy something in the 2005-2008, 28-30ft range with decent mileage. I have been shopping around and finding that to get in a coach like that I would have to shell out 25-30K, a bit more than I want to spend at this point. We decided that we would get a "starter" RV to see how much we use/enjoy it before financing something in that range. Now we are going to pay cash for a reliable older unit that I can renovate (if necessary).

We settled on a budget of > 15K, and I have found a couple of units on RV Trader and Craigslist that I am interested in. The one that I am serious about is a 1993 Dutchman 28'. Please see the following link for the Craigslist ad:

Https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvs/4504756838.html

The gentleman selling it was upfront about the fact that the dash A/C needs to be serviced and has agreed to take it to an RV dealer for an inspection (that I will pay for). He got a quote to update the dash A/C from the old freon to the newer stuff that you can charge yourself (500.00). He agreed to sell me the coach for either 12K (as is), or 12.5K (with the repair). I am still going to have him take it in to the dealer for a comprehensive inspection, but do you think this is reasonable? I am excited to get on the road, but I don't want to have any buyers remorse!
10 REPLIES 10

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Before I bought a used rig I would spend the $100 needed to have the rig pressure tested - that should rule out the leak issue. Cab over leaks are especially common in Class C's - and a slow leak can accumulate and rot out the cab over which can be expensive to rebuild.
Kevin

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Important: Make sure that whatever you buy has correct tires no more than a couple of years old by date codes on tires, that brake fluid has been changed and brakes are serviced and in good working condition, engine cooling system including water pump, belts and hoses is in good shape. The converter/charger and house batteries must be in good shape to operate your appliances. Roof air and dash air conditioners, fridges, water heater, fresh water pump, awning, and RV generators are all expensive to have repaired/replaced and last about ten years. An older RV that looks good can become a "money pit" , once you get it home, that needs a lot of expensive and time consuming repairs before you can trust it for long distance trips with all essential comfort features working.
If you don't have RV repair and maintenance skills,and want to take off on a trip right away, better to buy a 3-4 year old RV with everything working properly.An RV is a truck full of 12 volt and 120 volt AC electrical and propane-operated appliances and devices that require maintenance. A "practice camping trip" at a nearby RV park will help get you familiar with connecting to electrical and water, operating dumping holding tanks, awning, appliances, etc.
Other campers will help if you need it. RV'ing is an involved hobby!!!

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mark Spears wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am excited to get on the road, but I don't want to have any buyers remorse!

My recommendation - get something newer. At least 1999.

Newer usually means more gears in the transmission, better ability to run on ethanol, newer appliances, more safety features. Less chance of worn brake lines and corroded fuel pump rubbers and coach body leaks.

Newer also means better resale value when you get ready to sell or trade.

Looking in our local Craigslist I see several 1998 and newer low mileage Class C's and A's, in your price range.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/search/rva?s=100&maxAsk=18000

Don't be in too much of a rush, find the right motorhome and the right seller and you'll usually come out much happier.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
As midnightsadie noted, YOU need to check the date codes on the tires. No matter how "good" they look or how good the tread appears, RV tires need to be replaced at about 6 years old. Also, as noted, carefully check for water leaks, especially in the over cab bunk area. Sniff around and see if anything smells moldy. I would also get on the roof and look at it's general condition and especially to look for cracks. Best wishes on your purchase.

Bob

Mark_Spears
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice! I did consider getting something other than a driver, but the main reason I want an RV is so my kiddos can watch TV while we are driving down the road. Having two kids screaming in your ear when you can't get to them in the back seat gets old. I plan to upgrade in a couple years when I can sack away some more cash if we enjoy the RV lifestyle. I priced a rental from Texas to Wisconsin for a week long trip and the lowest bid I could find was for 2700.00 without fuel. I figured I could buy something cheap to try it, and hopefully I don't end up with a money pit....

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have had very good luck buying used. Certainly nothing wrong with having a nice RV with OUT payments! :B

Have the owner go thru the whole RV with you BEFORE you purchase it.

Run the generator.

Have him fill the fresh tank and turn the water on using the water pump.

Turn coach A/C and furnace on.

Check 'coach' battery and converter.

Looks like the owner took very good care of it. Real nice MH.
Https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvs/4504756838.html

Good luck on your new to you MH! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a folding,(PUP) trailer? I would rather have a newer PUP, than an older Class C-for the same money. Towing a PUP gives you a vehicle to use when you get to your destination.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOU can check the date on the tires, and double check the cieling for water spots ,and the corners IF you see water marks RUN ,does the frig work?? and $500, to fix the air sounds cheap, I,d have some one else check it out, this is no time to be shy ,rv,repairs are big bucks, maybe spending a little more on a better unit is cheaper in the long run.

Mark_Spears
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, the guy claims that the tires are all new. I'm glad to hear someone else is having a positive experience with an older camper!

Bill_Lynch
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. Check the condition and operation of everything so you know what might need attention and goes on the list. Tires are probably the first thing,

We bought our first RV last fall, a 1991 Lazy Daze on a Chevy G30 chassis . It had a lot of miles but was in superb condition. Everything works (except the in-dash A/C) but I did have to put a new set of tires on it right out the gate. We've been camping one weekend every month since we got it.

We only paid $8000 and are very happy.

Sounds like you found a great first RV for your family. Best wishes on your travels.