cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC on while driving question

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to set the thermostat on my AC before I start driving, in preparation for starting up the generator on the road when it gets too hot? I'd like to not have to stop to turn on the AC, but I'm not sure this is good for the system or might cause problems. Thanks for any advice!
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N
21 REPLIES 21

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had to turn on roof top AC's while driving, maybe we are lucky that the dash AC has been sufficient.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

rv4jimnme
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we found out that you should not have a/c on and then plug into power or turn on generator. We overloaded and burned out a component dong this. So we now wait until we are plugged in or the generator is showing full load settings.

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
I still don't get why you have to stop driving to start the generator. Don't you have a switch on the dash?

As the the A/C question, I think it depends on your EMS. I trust mine not to let the loads come on until the generator is up to full power. When I (or the AGS) start the genny, I can watch the lights on the panel come on progressively, showing the power available for loads. In hot weather driving, I have left the thermostat set for AC (usually just on the front zone) and flipped on the genny when it gets too hot, with no problem whatsoever. But my rig is not yours.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
We seldom use the AC when traveling...mostly because we travel in moderate weather the majority of time. But yesterday we overstayed our "moderate" stay in Pam Springs and had to travel in 100+ temps. Can't remember ever doing that in the past 8 years of fulltiming.
Point: All we used was the dash AC and it was perfectly comfortable. Even when we did a roadside stop for a couple minutes or so. Our MH is only 36' long so maybe that has something to do with it and its a DP which puts much of the engine heat behind us.
Do most people have to use the rooftop ACs to keep cool in hot weather?

I've been told running the house A/C off the generator uses less gas than running the dash A/C. I always start the genny about 10-20 minutes before I head out to make sure I have a cool house on departure. Better than trying to cool a hot house on the road, IMHO. Takes a while to cool a hot cockpit. I do use a fan to offset the heat that comes through the windshield.
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
We also have the delay when I flip on the air conditioners. But, I never leave the switch in the 'on' position. I just don't want to risk overloading the transfer switch which I'm sure wouldn't happen with our system.

What I do.... I have the thermostat in the off position but have the air conditioners set to come on when the button on the thermostat is flipped to the 'on' position. So, when I start the genny and let it come up to speed, I have my co-pilot walk over to the thermostat and flip it on. That way, I know for sure that I'm not putting any kind of strain on anything.

MM.

I wish I could always have a co-pilot. But I don't and therein lies the dilemma. I think I'll have to pull over to start the genny/AC while driving. Just seems safer that way...
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
hershey wrote:

When I get too warm I get sleepy and thats no way to be and do any driving. In warm weather with the sun coming thru the windshield..I run the genset and roof air(s) and that way I can stay comfortable.
+1 why be uncomfortable
2009 Challenger

exioum
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
We also have the delay when I flip on the air conditioners. But, I never leave the switch in the 'on' position. I just don't want to risk overloading the transfer switch which I'm sure wouldn't happen with our system.

What I do.... I have the thermostat in the off position but have the air conditioners set to come on when the button on the thermostat is flipped to the 'on' position. So, when I start the genny and let it come up to speed, I have my co-pilot walk over to the thermostat and flip it on. That way, I know for sure that I'm not putting any kind of strain on anything.
I agree and do the same thing, better safe then $orry.
MM.
exioum

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Chuckftboy, our air does great but since our engine is in the back, that's where the heat starts to build on really hot traveling days. We are good for a long time up front but my threshold is about 95 degrees (outside). Otherwise, I will put on the inside air to cool the whole coach so we arrive cool at our destination. I like air blowing on me ALL the time. I have yet to use the heat while driving.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
We seldom use the AC when traveling...mostly because we travel in moderate weather the majority of time. But yesterday we overstayed our "moderate" stay in Pam Springs and had to travel in 100+ temps. Can't remember ever doing that in the past 8 years of fulltiming.
Point: All we used was the dash AC and it was perfectly comfortable. Even when we did a roadside stop for a couple minutes or so. Our MH is only 36' long so maybe that has something to do with it and its a DP which puts much of the engine heat behind us.

I don't use the house air, only the dash and it does a fine job. Even on a 100 degree day.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you have to stop to start your generator or the A/C? If needed we start up the generator, and once running, I go back and flip the frig to electric and turn on the A/C. But, we usually do just fine with the dash A/C because we are in the park by 2:00 pm and are using the site power if it is hot enough to run the roof A/C.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:

When I get too warm I get sleepy and thats no way to be and do any driving. In warm weather with the sun coming thru the windshield..I run the genset and roof air(s) and that way I can stay comfortable.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a delay ... so no worries
Bob