cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding 4 horns

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
Putting 4 Cadillac Seville 4 note horns in my class "A" motorhome. The horns has the notes a,c,d,f which sounds like a train. Have a Ford F53 chassis and V-10. Wondering if a different relay will be needed. Anyone done this project.
18 REPLIES 18

Electrix
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,
You need to know how many amps the two sets of horns use. If you are real lucky, the new ones may not draw much more than the old ones. If they draw quite a bit more you will have to check the wiring to see if it can safely carry the increased current.
Find the horn relay to see if it has a current rating on it.
Find what size fuse is fitted.
Does the fuse protect more than just the horns?
Check the wire size to see if it is large enough.
Does the power wire to the horn relay contacts come directly from the battery, or is it a shared supply from the fuse box?

As already suggested you may have to fit a new relay that is operated by the original system. You will then need to wire in a dedicated fused supply directly from the battery to the relay, and then a wire to the horns. The wiring will need to be of the correct size for the current and length required. This will ensure that you get maximum voltage at the horns, and will get the full sound output.

Its a bit like installing a set of popup sprinklers to water the back lawn and then running a 1/2 inch hose to a tap out the front. The water will just dribble out of the sprinklers because the hose can't flow the amount of water required.

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Had air horns on my motorcycle many years ago. Used it once in order to prevent my wife and I from being run off the freeway by some guy who wasn't paying attention to his driving. It saved us from serious injury at the very least, and possibly from death. It only takes one time... .
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Running 60 on a back road this last weekend I thought 2 crows eating some poor dead rodent weren't going to move . . . . A good toot got their attention and kept them from splattering the front end. Standard horn but I was wondering if it would be loud enough.

That and cages seem to think that because you are big you are also slow. Had a driver come around on the left then dove in front me to make the gas station on the right. It was jam on brakes tight. Moron. Too late for a horn blast on that one, but she got one anyway.

I did the arm pump for trucks, too. Kids just aren't outside much these days.

Best,
- c bob

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The new coach we ordered has an air horn and also a train whistle. Not sure when I would ever use it but it sounds like the train in 'Petticoat Junction', it's really cool. LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
I just received my concealed weapon liscense, my air horn button is out of sight along the bottom of my dash.

Jkebxjunke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

Well than just for you I am going to get my air horn, since I already have a onboard pump and tank for the airbags, might as well and install me a big train air horn just for those that can't stand the noise..

:B

you know whats better than one set? 2.:B

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:

Today horns are used as a weapon. These train horns are far louder that needed and are used by ignorant people who use their horn instead of their brake. I guess some feel that with the purchase of one of these horns they appoint themselves as a "Sargent of Arms" on the highway and their life purpose is to notify the surrounding area that another vehicle has done something they don't like. I put the users of these train horns in the same class as the little Hood Rats that drive around with their cars pumping out bass. I am guessing mommy and daddy didn't give them enough attention when they were a child.

Well than just for you I am going to get my air horn, since I already have a onboard pump and tank for the airbags, might as well and install me a big train air horn just for those that can't stand the noise..

:B

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
booty51 wrote:
There are horn lovers and haters on this forum, be carefull!

Horns are great! Didn't you ever sit up on the hill at Grandpa's house and pump your arm at the big trucks as they rolled by to see if they would honk or not, when you were a kid. We did, we didn't have anything else to do and all had a big laugh when the honked.

Today horns are used as a weapon. These train horns are far louder that needed and are used by ignorant people who use their horn instead of their brake. I guess some feel that with the purchase of one of these horns they appoint themselves as a "Sargent of Arms" on the highway and their life purpose is to notify the surrounding area that another vehicle has done something they don't like. I put the users of these train horns in the same class as the little Hood Rats that drive around with their cars pumping out bass. I am guessing mommy and daddy didn't give them enough attention when they were a child.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
sundance_8 wrote:
Great just we need another set of airhorns. Come on boys can't you fond a better way to compensate for your inadiquacies.

You mean like spelling?:)

Haha yes like spelling 😮

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
There are horn lovers and haters on this forum, be carefull!

Horns are great! Didn't you ever sit up on the hill at Grandpa's house and pump your arm at the big trucks as they rolled by to see if they would honk or not, when you were a kid. We did, we didn't have anything else to do and all had a big laugh when the honked.

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
Great just we need another set of airhorns. Come on boys can't you fond a better way to compensate for your inadiquacies.

You mean like spelling?:)
www.threedogsandus.com

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love a set with the old steam engine horn sound complete with the woosh.
Can't ever find the horns when we need to blow them. Same in the cars.
Have to paint a target right over the spot.
Whatever happened to rim blow horns?

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer

Lug_Nut
Explorer
Explorer
I added the triple air horns "Train Horns" that I got from The All American Chrome Shop. I wired them so I could select just the existing two air horns or all five from a switch on the dash. The train horns were rated at 152 db. Well, they certainly were heard. After about two test air blasts, my dog wasn't happy. She was so nervous for the next few days, I never used them since. Thought I would go ahead and use them if she wasn't there, but that just never happens.

It's all fun until someone losses an ear!:B
'13 Newmar King Aire 45' ISX 600