cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a Class C for sale. Looking at it today.

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to look at a 2003 McKenzie Rogue (Monaco) Class C with 2 slides and 31k miles today. It's listed as $27k OBO.
It has heated holding tanks and air ride suspension. New tires two years ago.

A couple questions:

1) How is this brand in terms of quality? Is it low, med, high compared to other RV manufacturers?
2) According to NADA, the low retail on this is 23k and the high is 28k. Does 27k seem like a decent price if it's in good condition? What would be a decent counter offer? There is one other person looking at this later today after we look at it.

Thanks for any feedback. We are still trying to purchase our first Class C and have turned down several before this one.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
tmaxx wrote:
Well, we looked at the rv. It was in really good condition. we put $300 down and agreed on a price. My one concern is the tow rating. It has the Ford V10 E450 chasis which I thought had the 5000 lb tow rating. The hitch listed a max tow rating of 3500 pounds not no exceed 10% above so 3800 max. My Ford Fusion hybrid is 3800 pounds. The rv also has air ride suspension.
With the Ford engine and chasis, any reason it can't tow my Fusion?
The rv is 30' long with two slides.

thx

Ours is an E450 and total length is just over 32' (31' model). Ours is rated at 5000 lbs. Weird...

What the Hitch rating is and what the chassis towing rating is are '2 different and completely separate things.

The first MH I bought had a Class 7 hitch on it. Rated for 25,000 lbs. That doesn't mean I would EVER tow 25,000 lbs. with that MH!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
That's a nice rig! Looks a lot like ours. Quality build and aluminum sided so no worry of delam which will be nice. Be careful with the hitch ours is rated the same but it was a poor design. It was bolted together at the crossbar! One of the bolts came out while towing our dirt bikes on a trailer. Luckily I saw it. When I got home I had it welded together. You will enjoy the quality of that rig. Have fun!!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't think any of the hybrids were towable 4 down. Something about the transmissions in them?
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxx wrote:
If I reinforce the frame extensions, would I be able to use the existing 3500lb hitch or would I need to replace it with a 5000lb hitch? Not sure the difference in the different capacity hitches.

You have a class III hitch which can handle up to 5,000 lbs.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same hitch if you reinforce the frame. Your pretty close. I wouldn't worry about it. Weight your toad at a truck scale to be sure, could be less.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
The engine can handle the 5000lbs, but the frame extensions probably can't. You should be able to find a welder than can make the frame extensions sturdier to handle the extra weight. Once the frame is sturdy enough to handle the load, you should be good to go.

-Michael

If I reinforce the frame extensions, would I be able to use the existing 3500lb hitch or would I need to replace it with a 5000lb hitch? Not sure the difference in the different capacity hitches.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxx wrote:
Well, we looked at the rv. It was in really good condition. we put $300 down and agreed on a price. My one concern is the tow rating. It has the Ford V10 E450 chasis which I thought had the 5000 lb tow rating. The hitch listed a max tow rating of 3500 pounds not no exceed 10% above so 3800 max. My Ford Fusion hybrid is 3800 pounds. The rv also has air ride suspension.

thx

Ours is an E450 and total length is just over 32' (31' model). Ours is rated at 5000 lbs. Weird...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
The engine can handle the 5000lbs, but the frame extensions probably can't. You should be able to find a welder than can make the frame extensions sturdier to handle the extra weight. Once the frame is sturdy enough to handle the load, you should be good to go.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer

thx

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what you like and can afford.

They basically are ALL built using the same appliances, fixtures, water pumps,etc. on the inside. The more expensive ones might have better cabinet wood, granite counter top or a leather couch. But underneath that they are all the same.

Some Class C's will offer 2 different chassis for the same model. I don't know the chassis models on that one you are looking at but take the time to learn about the differences. IMHO it affects how enjoyable it is to drive.

I.E Ford makes them on the 350 or 450 chassis. BIG difference between the two, but the inside of the RV will look the same.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco is a highly regarded name as far as motorhomes. But as pianotuna elated to, they all have or can have issues. My in laws had a Monaco Dynasty. Paid big bucks for it. It had to go to the shop several times. The problem is that the shop (dealer), was over 4 hours away. The problem with higher dollar motorhomes is that they can often have higher dollar problems. Most RV's are built similar. There are a few different ways. Some that do it better, charge more. As far as mechanically sound, they use the same brands. Dometic, Atwood, suburban, etc...there are different levels of products within those brands. The main thing is too make sure it has been cared for. Check for leaks. Class C's are the most succeptable RV to get leaks. If the seals are kept in good shape, then it should be good.

Bordercollie mentioned 5000 miles average. You can't really go on that. People camp differently. Just like people drive differently. Car dealerships say that 12,000 miles is about average for a car driver. I drive double that. There are people that drive half of it. We've had our motorhome for going on 2 years. We are now just pushing 5000 miles on it. It had a few hundred on it when we bought it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge and roof AC units, water pump, converter/charger and batteries start to need replacement/major repairs at about 10 year point. Awning may need new fabric. Exterior vinyl trim may be starting to fade and crack. Roof etc. may have leaks causing expensive damage. Mileage should be about 5000 per year to be average.Brake system should be serviced including flushing and replacement of brake fluid and flex hoses to front brakes. Know how much more you are likely to spend on it in the first year when deciding to buy a used rig. Don't buy on impulse or when tired of looking.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Check tires and tire dates / CCC / and if it has a a front window above cab check that area really good for leaks.

Good luck!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Sad to say all RV's are pretty much built to bargain basement quality levels.

Water leaks are the deal breaker, but I think you know that already.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.