Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Brakes on Coachman Cross Country 385DS

dannyjenkins81
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All

I am new to the Forum and RVing. I just purchased our First RV in December. We purchased a new Class A Cross Country Diesel 385DS. Apart from the dealer not bothering to test anything, it has been quite a smooth run. A few issues, but we managed to get them resolved. Even if we did end up paying out of pocket.

I have a few questions, I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. When starting the engine, there are 2 air gauges. If the RV has not been started in a week, I have to wait for about 3 minutes for the air to increase in the right gauge. During the time, the waiting light is on for the Air brakes. After 3 minutes it is fine.

I am not sure if this is normal or not, and I do not trust the dealers response to ask them. If anyone has any experience I would appreciate it.

Finally, Does anyone know how to enable the TV on the Coachman while driving. It is not actually viewable from the drivers seat, although I guess it is too far forward from a legal perspective.

Kind Regards

Danny
10 REPLIES 10

dannyjenkins81
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply. I managed to speak to someone at coachman. They confirmed the Engine does have to be running, and that the low voltage is normal when you first start the engine. They say this has changed compared to the old models, where the engine had to be turned off.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Yours may be different from my Monaco, but it seems strange to me that the engine would ever be running while extending the jacks.

Step one in leveling is to dump the air to lower the suspension. This is impossible with the engine running.

My manual says "key on engine off" to use the jacks.
My jacks are power gear hydraulic. I've heard of some electric jacks that needed the engine running to get enough voltage to work right, but these were usually on gassers with no air to dump anyway.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What brand of jacks?

Is the voltage low-- what is voltage as measured at the jack motor?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dannyjenkins81
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your advice. I did read through the pile of manuals that I was given.

I have another question, which was not answered by reading the manual. Actually the manual was plain inaccurate regarding the matter.

The auto leveling system requires the engine to be turned on to function. (The manual tells me it must be off :)).

When I power it on, it often takes between 3 and 5 minutes before it will work. It flashes low voltage during this stage. Is this normal?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
While reading books might be ok, what he really needs is a good, one on one, person to person, experienced DP motor home pilot that can take the time with him and go over his coach with him. And that includes not only the chassis operation but, also the coach operation if and when he has questions on it.

It appears he's based in Florida so, based on the fact that there's a zillion motor homes in Florida, and quite possibly well educated, helpful drivers that might be contacted and maybe willing to take the time to help him. I'm sure there are many around there that would be willing to assist him in learning about his coach but, making contact with any of them would be the issue.

Many guys on here have what's needed to assist him but, it's all long distance communications. He needs someone right there in the cockpit with him. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
Fleet Man wrote:
Recommend you take a trip to your local DMV office or Vehicle registration office and pick up a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) study guide. They have an excellent section on a generic air brake system which will include everything you have on your motor home. Study that and you should get a very good understanding of the air brake system and all the components in it.

Being you are new to RV'ing this is a good suggestion. It will not only help you understand your brakes and air system, but it will give you info on passing, convoying and obstructing traffic. This all applies to truckers, but it will give you some insight and help you be a little more courteous to truckers and other drivers.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend you take a trip to your local DMV office or Vehicle registration office and pick up a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) study guide. They have an excellent section on a generic air brake system which will include everything you have on your motor home. Study that and you should get a very good understanding of the air brake system and all the components in it.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Your air system build up time sounds normal.

Your tv is plugged into an outlet controlled by a relay. When the relay gets 12 volt power, the relay kills the 120 volts to the outlet.

You can either cut the 12 volt wire or plug the tv into another outlet.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
dannyjenkins81 wrote:

Finally, Does anyone know how to enable the TV on the Coachman while driving. It is not actually viewable from the drivers seat, although I guess it is too far forward from a legal perspective.

Kind Regards

Danny
If you can SEE the TV from the driver's seat (even if the angle is too great to actually watch it) the RV builder is required by law to provide the power lockout while you are driving.
You CAN bypass it, but you might have to convince a LEO you can't see the TV, else it is quite a hefty ticket (around $150 in Michigan).
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is normal for air to leak down, particularly after a week or so.

And also normal for it to take a few minutes to fill the tanks.

To speed up the air AND to help the engine warm up faster, after it has run for a minute or two, go to high idle (1000-1100 RPM). Read in your chassis manual how to do this, but often the cruise control switches control this.

Also suggest you read up on the air brake system.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/