cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air connector for Tropical?

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was watching a video on RVgeeks about using the onboard air system to inflate the tires on a DP. I have a 2004 National Tropical DP. I've always been under the impression that I don't have the fitting installed in my air system that I would need to hook a air hose to it.

So as I'm watching the video they show an air hose connector in their motorhome that came installed by the manufacturer. And while pointing it out they also mention that if you ever have the motorhome towed that the tow truck operator would need to plug into that fitting in order to unlock your brakes. I never thought of that. Without air pressure the brakes should lock up shouldn't they? So if I don't have a fitting installed and my motorhome ever needs to be towed, how would they get the brakes to release?

I started wondering about this so I just went out and got all dirty climbing around under the front of my motorhome and I don't see any types of fittings. Is anybody familiar with the National Tropical and do you know if there is a fitting installed someplace? If so where? And am I right about the brakes locking once the air pressure bleeds off? If so it sounds like I better have a fitting installed if for nothing else in case I ever have to be towed.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

8 REPLIES 8

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for that info SnoBear.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
A tow truck operator will use what is called a "cage bolt" to manually re-track your rear brakes. One on each side.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don, are you saying yours is inside the motorhome? I have a fuse compartment that is below the drivers seat on the outside of the motorhome. I haven't seen an air fitting in there but I'll check again tomorrow to see if it's around there someplace.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

donsuefuggrwe
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2001 Tradewinds it is in the fuse compartment next to and below the drivers seat. You will need the quick disconnect fittings for a 50 foot air hose and fittings to attach other end of quick disconnect to air line. Easy job. Also to get enough pressure in your air hose line you need to use your cruise control controls to increase your idle to 1500 rpm or so to get higher pressure in hose. Good luck.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your chassis maker. Many are in the front.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are under the front hood above the generator.
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about your coach but I bet if you dig hard enough probably behind the wiring harness you will find it. Most likely it will be above your generator on the firewall. Look for air lines also you might find a junction box/fitting. You may be able to install a air connector to the air system if you don't find one. Be aware that they use a auto type connector so you will have to buy fittings that will mate.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
not all motorhomes come from the factory with the fittings. check on your air tanks to see if there is one there. if not, it is really easy to install one. just install it somewhere easy to access
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby