cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to inflate to 110 psi....

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I know it sounds stupid, but I am unable to add air to my tires using the aux air connection from the MH. I need 110psi, but I think the cut-in/cut-out psi will not allow me to add air as the pressure is not high enough in the MH. Maybe I need to give it more time, but how long does it take any of you to add 6 lbs of pressure (to go from 104 psi to 110 psi),

How do you guys add air to your tires that need 110 psi? I have even tried a separate compressor that is suppose to go to 125 psi, but I can't get any air into them using that. Do I need to buy a separate larger compressor? As a newbie, this is one challenge I did not expect.

Thanks, Tom
23 REPLIES 23

sloman2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I now at least understand my challenge.

I am going to look for a web site that should tell me what my tire pressures should be. I have weighed the rig, and it is about 1000 lbs under the max on each axle. I haven't yet tried to weigh each individual tire. The truck weigh stations don't seem to do that.

Thanks, Tom

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
CO2 tank as well. Fast and very easy - plus I contribute to Global Warming. :R

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Back to that earlier "why?" With both the Michelins, then later with the Goodyear G670's, the tire company websites gave me pressures in the 95 to 100 range for my 2003 Journey's actual weights, front and rear. Onboard compressor got me there with no effort at all.

110 seems a bit high to me -- your results may, of course, be different.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that a lot of responders don't seem to realise that you are filling from the DP's own compressor.

The on board compressor won't kick in until it's tank pressure drops to about 90 psi so if you get to say 100 psi in the tires and the tank pressure drops to that it won't fill any more and the compressor won't come back on. The trick is to start airing as soon as the tank pressure equals the tire pressure. If it won't fill, then you will have to fan down (via the brake pedal) to re engage the compressor. It's much easier with two people!

hsteinle
Explorer
Explorer
another option is to use a CO2 fill system like many 'jeepers' use. I carry the 10# bottle and it allows me to top off my tires many times before I take it to a welding shop and have them refill the 10# canister. Does the job FAST, and you can get good systems for not much cash outlay. Check out at http://powertank.com/ or http://offroadtuff.com I keep my tires at 110 and to fill them from under 100 to 110 takes about 45 seconds.
Harlan
Mesa AZ/Durango CO
โ€™07 Alfa So Long Gold #4322
Cummins 400 ISL
Toad:
-Harley enclosed "Toy Carrier" cycle trailer, or
-โ€˜01 Jeep Wrangler, or
-'11 Ford Explorer Limited

donsuefuggrwe
Explorer
Explorer
NO, NO, NO, I assume you have a diesel engine. All you have to do is increase your engine RPM up around 1500 or so. Do this by turning on your cruise control and jog the speed control. Transmission in neutral of course. It will gradually increase engine RPM and raise the air pressure. 110 PSI no problem. 2011 National Tradewinds. I also assume you have quick disconnect fittings in your air line and a 50 foot air hose. Mine is in the fuse compartment next to and below the drivers seat. Good luck

toban
Explorer
Explorer
What you need is an air multiplier/booster. They aren't cheap but they sure work. I got tired of waiting forever for the air to go into the tire and sometimes it would take air out of the tire if you start the airing process too soon.

This unit cost me $282.50 and it's the size a little larger than my hand. It eliminates one buying a pancake compressor which will still be slow and takes up a lot of space. This unit goes in the cupboard. It has a built in regulator on it and you need to put the appropriate air fittings on to fit your air outlet on the MH.

It essentially will up to double the out air pressure from the MH. So, if the air pressure coming out of the MH is 120 PSI it will deliver approx. 220-240 psi. I can pump up all my MH tires in less than 5 minutes. My fronts are 115 LBS and the rears are at 100 PSI.

It is made by SMC corporation.

Toban

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the video showing the real way to do it

FILLING RV TIRES TO 110
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
^ The best thing about the compressor mentioned above....it has a clip on air chuck. Keep your hands away from the tire while inflating!!
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
They've changed the shape of this compressor a couples of times, but it's a great compressor for filling 22.5 tires. Whenever this discussion comes up, many post they have this model and are very happy with it, including me.

I have a large stand up compressor at home that goes to 125, but still doesn't want to fill my tires quickly. I don't like running my coach, especially in a campground to fill my tires.

This 120 volt unit can be plugged into shore power or run off your generator. I timed it one day and it takes about 13-14 seconds to add 1 psi. It's great for topping off tires and is small enough to store easily.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
In ref my reply above, since you already have the ability to use your motorhome air, the link JMichael posted looks like a much better suggestion than my suggestion of getting an air compressor. Looks like the RVGeeks figured out a good solution to your issue. So good in fact, that I may do a setup like they have there.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
I run the diesel engine until I hear the pressure relief valve pop off.
At that point I know it has at lease 130 lbs pressure in the tanks.
Only then do I start airing up a tire.
YOu should be able to go from 104 to 110 within a couple minutes.
If the compressor kicks in again, stop and wait until the pressure builds up again.

BUT, have you weighed the rig to see how much air is needed in your tires? You very well may not need 110.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like dean said, you need a compressor that has a max of 150psi. Your compressor may say 125 psi, but that is the max it will go. It likely drops down to 110 or lower before kicking back on to pump up to 125. You can make it pump the tire to 110psi, but you may have to sit there for an hour to make it happen. A 150psi compressor will kick back on in the 125 to 130 psi range. So you're always at least 15 psi more in the compressor than in the tire.

All the advice about going to a truck stop and all is fine, but it's just so much easier to get your own compressor to do this. I bought a smaller 150 psi compressor at Lowes a few months ago for just over $130 and it works fine.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JMichael
Explorer
Explorer
RV Geeks have 2 videos on this topic --here is the link to the 2nd youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5fK54DKWP0&list=PL065CE0C3BFF0EE02

JMichael 2001 Newmar KADP 4084