cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Working on something ALL THE TIME

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
Now I am not complaining . I like to have things to do and most of the time I am working on the motorhome for preventitive maintenance items. Sometimes I seem to be overwhelmed and wonder if it is just me or is there something that needs to be fixed, improved, painted, waxed, cleaned, lubricated, ect. ect. all the time. I think I could go and work on something everyday and not run out of things to do. Maybe I am just a little overboard on keeping things in good order but when I see something that needs to be fixed or catch something before there is a problem I can not and will not ignore it for long. I seem to have something to work on after every camping trip.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
43 REPLIES 43

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
donsuefuggrwe wrote:
Biggest mistake was storing all our furniture for 13 years at a cost of $26000.

But now you have a million $$$ in antiques :B

I like somebody that has the "good side of it" outlook....

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
donsuefuggrwe wrote:
Biggest mistake was storing all our furniture for 13 years at a cost of $26000.

But now you have a million $$$ in antiques :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

donsuefuggrwe
Explorer
Explorer
I got ya man. I am a month shy of becoming 80 and after 23 years in 2 motor homes, 91 Bounder and 01 Tradewinds I am selling the Tradewinds. Shoulder and knee trouble and just cannot do it any more even with the wife driving now. 13 years of fulltiming in Tradewinds and just today emptied it out into a recently purchased home in Vegas and took it to a storage lot. Took off in 2000 for a year to find the perfect spot and after 13 years of looking found out there is no perfect place. Biggest mistake was storing all our furniture for 13 years at a cost of $26000. My to do list is over a full page long and no way can I catch up with it. Goes with the territory. Some of our best years in 47 year marriage. Good luck.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Since we spend most of our time living in the coach and moving about the country there are usually thiings large and small that need attention. Also as we live in it we find modifications that make life just a bit more comfortable. The great news is we don't own a house, a cottage or even a second car. We do rent an apartment in case we want to stay in Rochester for a while and also to store the stuff we don't want to part with, yet.

I cannot imagine living as we do without my tools. Every screw seems determined to work itself loose at the worst possible moment and the electronics are always making me crazy. It keeps life interesting.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
okgc wrote:
deandec wrote:
In many cases, the time to deliver the rig to a shop, leave it, and return to get it, is as much or more than the time involved to DIY.

Plus, DIY the first time means you will be quicker the next time......

DIY also can also mean getting it FIXED the first time.

Or it can mean really screwing it up! :W
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
In many cases, the time to deliver the rig to a shop, leave it, and return to get it, is as much or more than the time involved to DIY.

Plus, DIY the first time means you will be quicker the next time......

DIY also can also mean getting it FIXED the first time.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
For me maintaining the RV is the hobby within the hobby. I truly believe that if you aren't handy with tools and like fixing things, you'd best not buy any RV, unless you have so much money you don't mind paying someone else to fix everything.

YES!

It's a labor of love. If you don't love fixing things (or tinkering) then the hobby isn't for you. I enjoy messing around with my old rig. There's always something to fix or modify.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago My son-in-law's father was showing us his Motor Home(before we had on) He had a large tool box full of tools. I asked him why the tool box. He said buy a Motor Home and I would find out. That I did.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Atrophy Happens!

Just yesterday, I opened the door to my rig and there on the floor was a plastic switch that broke and fell off without anyone around. Fortunately, it was kind enough to fail in a place I could easily see it and fix it, compared with a hidden problem that only announces itself on the Interstate 500 miles from home.

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
What's so crazy, mine can break just sitting in the driveway. I guess motor homing is just an adventure with a big price tag. I spent $1,500 dollars on repairs just before I left on this trip, and now I have another list of broken stuff, maintenance stuff, and desired upgrades. O well.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem with our S&B. Mow the grass, weed the garden, fix the faucet, scrub the floor, replace the tile, chase the leak, shampoo the rug, etc., etc., etc. So we got rid of it. We have an amazing amount of free time now.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Let me ask you a question, in 12 months how many miles do you put on your MH? How many nights do you spend hooked up in a park?

When I sailed I noticed there were two types of sailors, those that sailed, and those that worked on their boats. Very seldom did I find someone who did both.
Not so. I travel all the time and repairs and maintenance are what I do once I drop anchor. Beats watching TV. BTW, I almost never have hookups.

For some reason I figured that much from you:).

I was really asking the OP'er since they seem to be mostly interested in working on the RV. Sailors were much the same way.

Some really enjoyed going out in a gale, while others enjoyed tweaking the boat in dock.
I hear you! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Let me ask you a question, in 12 months how many miles do you put on your MH? How many nights do you spend hooked up in a park?

When I sailed I noticed there were two types of sailors, those that sailed, and those that worked on their boats. Very seldom did I find someone who did both.
Not so. I travel all the time and repairs and maintenance are what I do once I drop anchor. Beats watching TV. BTW, I almost never have hookups.

For some reason I figured that much from you:).

I was really asking the OP'er since they seem to be mostly interested in working on the RV. Sailors were much the same way.

Some really enjoyed going out in a gale, while others enjoyed tweaking the boat in dock.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, brand new motor home here. I work on it all the time. If it's not one thing it's another. My fifth wheel I used to have did not seem like it required as much work. About the only thing maintenance wise I had to do to it was wash it, check the tires (air pressure and wheel barring grease). I did a few improvements, upgrades and modifications that's it.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters